IGNORED

Michael Jordan on GOAT in golf

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Found this link looking at Tiger and his new swing.

Michael Jordan makes some very good points about why the term "GOAT" doesn't make sense.

“You’re never going to say who’s the greatest of all time. To me, I think that’s more for PR and more for selling stories and getting hype. Jack and Tiger never played against each other. They never played in the same tournament. They never played with the same equipment. They never played with the same length of golf course. I never played against Wilt Chamberlain. I never played against Jerry West. To now say that one is greater than the other is being a little bit unfair.”

“Obviously, Jack won more during the time he played; Tiger evolved it to where it crossed a lot of its boundaries, where it’s not just a white guys’ sport; black guys, African-Americans, you know, all these play the game. And he played it at a level where he generated so much interest financially that it grew the game from a financial standpoint.”

“Now, does that constitute him being the greatest? Does that mean he’s any less than Jack? I think it’s unfair. Yes, Jack has 18 majors and Tiger’s got 14, and that’s how people are judging certain things. I won six championships; Bill Russell won 11. Does that make Bill Russell better than me, or make me better than him? No, because we played in different eras.”

Well said, MJ. Maybe cut back on the stogies, though?

Smart guy.

Edited by Lihu
  • Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be pedantic, they played in the same tournament plenty times, and Tiger smoked Jack. Tiger was also like 30 years younger at the time, but hey, I said "to be pedantic." ;-)

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

2 hours ago, jamo said:

To be pedantic, they played in the same tournament plenty times, and Tiger smoked Jack. Tiger was also like 30 years younger at the time, but hey, I said "to be pedantic." ;-)

What tournaments did they play? It seems like a 35 year difference would put Jack in the Champions tour when Tiger turned 15? So, Tiger must have beat jack when he was 14?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

What tournaments did they play? It seems like a 35 year difference would put Jack in the Champions tour when Tiger turned 15? So, Tiger must have beat jack when he was 14?

Well, off the top of my head, iirc Jack's last British Open was 2005, soooo.....

Colin P.

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Well, off the top of my head, iirc Jack's last British Open was 2005, soooo.....

Right. Mostly majors, but Jack played a few events like Doral, Pebble, and Memorial through the early 2000s.

Also, MJ's comparison of him and Russell is very apt. Not sure how I never thought of that one.

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Basketball is a bit different than golf. It is a team sport. I think it is easier to justify Tiger over Jack than it is to compare Michael versus Russell. Too many factors when trying to compare players on team sports.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Basketball is a bit different than golf. It is a team sport. I think it is easier to justify Tiger over Jack than it is to compare Michael versus Russell. Too many factors when trying to compare players on team sports.

True, but it seems like Jack was not at his peak at the time they competed. 35 years is a huge difference.

That's likely what MJ was thinking when he said they never competed. I'd still give MJ a lot more kudos for understanding sports than most people.

To watch Jack's game when he competed with Tiger isn't really fair. They peaked in different eras.

The average Web tour player is driving over 300 yards. In Jack's time it was less than a dozen. In Tiger's time it was just as low until the younger players came along. At this point even 15 years is a huge difference such as between Rory and Tiger.

Age is a big factor in how fast someone can swing, and, in turn, score.

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!