IGNORED

Ignore rust spots on iron shafts?

deekay
Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I have noticed that tiny rust spots have developed on the metal shafts of my irons and putter. I am afraid that trying to buff/polish this off will "open up" the rust and really cause it to take hold. Or that I would damage the shiny surface of the shafts. Any advice? Should metal shafts be lightly oiled?

P.S. I live on the coast, where rust can be a problem on older vehicles, for example.

Im no proffesional but from what i understand, light surface rust isnt too bad and can often be cleaned off. Its pitting of the shaft that you need to look out for. If you start getting pitting appearing then you would need to replace the shafts 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, deekay said:

Hi all,

I have noticed that tiny rust spots have developed on the metal shafts of my irons and putter. I am afraid that trying to buff/polish this off will "open up" the rust and really cause it to take hold. Or that I would damage the shiny surface of the shafts. Any advice? Should metal shafts be lightly oiled?

P.S. I live on the coast, where rust can be a problem on older vehicles, for example.

Yes lightly remove the rust. You can lightly oil from time to time; or use a silicone gun/reel cloth; or wax from time to time. All to protect against the humidity  (?) that is causing the rust.I did this for a long time to keep some really old clubs nice.  Good luck, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

From 20 years ago: Someone recommended rubbing the shaft with a couple layers of aluminum foil. Supposedly the foil would knock off the rust particles without abrading the shaft too much.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

When I lived in Florida I also got spots of rust on iron shafts. I bought some anti corrosive spray at a Big Box Store (several brands available) and used it with 4/0 steel wool to remove rust spots. Then I applied a little anti corrosive with a soft cloth about every 3 months. They look just fine now.

I live on the south shore of Long Island, NY where my older clubs are subjected to salt air off the bay and I have never had a rust problem. I have a set of old Ping Eye2s with steel shafts and they look like new. I will say that I clean them after each round using a waxed base cleaner, like for cars, (don't remember the name right now), so that probably helps. I would go to a Pro shop and see what they say, you don't want to do more harm than good. Good luck, I hope you find the answer.

8 hours ago, Tom-C said:

When I lived in Florida I also got spots of rust on iron shafts. I bought some anti corrosive spray at a Big Box Store (several brands available) and used it with 4/0 steel wool to remove rust spots. Then I applied a little anti corrosive with a soft cloth about every 3 months. They look just fine now.

Welcome @Tom-C.   We're glad you've found TST.   Don't be a stranger.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Mother's mag and aluminum wheel polish is what I use. Cleans and protects.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!