IGNORED

European Tour Pros Try to Hit 2 Yard-Wide Fairway

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

European Tour continuing to do stellar work on social media video:

Spoiler in case you want to be in suspense as to what happens:

I'm actually somewhat surprised they were able to do it. If you think about how a road is sloped - it is normally sloped like a small pyramid so water flows off the road. So they're trying to hit a driver to a 2 yard fairway and the fairway is sloping so that it makes this challenge even harder. Plus, they're using drivers, which means it's hard to stop the ball quickly. Give them a 3 or 5 wood and I bet this goes faster. Hitting a 2 yard window is difficult but doable. Hitting it so straight that the bounce doesn't take the ball off the fairway seems extremely hard

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

If you think about how a road is sloped - it is normally sloped like a small pyramid so water flows off the road.

It's a desert road, though, so the pitch isn't too severe.

Was that his third swing? Seemed like it, but the other guy said "when does it get dark?" and they were acting like they'd been there awhile. I also doubt they hit the strip that many times in only 12 (3 x 4 players) swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Was that his third swing? Seemed like it, but the other guy said "when does it get dark?" and they were acting like they'd been there awhile. I also doubt they hit the strip that many times in only 12 (3 x 4 players) swings.

You might be surprised at how pitched desert roads are. Not sure about the Arabian Desert, but there is regular flash flooding in the Southwest Desert in the US, which means the roads are fairly sloped.

I would imagine this is pretty highly edited and there were a lot more swings that weren't put in. But I have no way to know that for sure.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

It would have been lots of swings. They had a little montage in the middle where loads of them were hitting.

Ross Fisher absolutely murders it. I watched him play a round at my club that I started the game at back when he was still an amateur. He hit pretty much the middle of the fairway on every hole and on every hole he hit it distance wise where my best ever drive had finished. That's my career best with the best conditions and he put it out there every hole. It was so impressive to watch. Never seen anyone drive it better than he did that day. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

You might be surprised at how pitched desert roads are.

"On average, rain falls only five days a year." - That when Googling for Dubai and rainfall. Their wettest month is February, and they get 1.4" of rain. For the month.

I doubt their roads are too pitched.

Anyway, still a good video, and remarkable as many hit the fairway as they did, with full swings. This wasn't a 180-yard shot, after all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

"On average, rain falls only five days a year." - That when Googling for Dubai and rainfall. Their wettest month is February, and they get 1.4" of rain. For the month.

I doubt their roads are too pitched.

Typically, rules and regulations governing drainage designs are not based on how often it rains in a particular area, they're based on how intense the rain could potentially be when it does rains.  Here is Socal, where, incidentally it rained this morning, but otherwise hasn't rained a drop in 5-6 months, we often use 6"/hour as a design rainfall intensity.

All that said, a two lane road does not need that much crossfall to drain properly - maybe 2%.  Secondly, if they can land it so its curving towards the center but hasn't crossed, then that 2% is helping them stay straighter.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Whoever is on the Euro Tour PR team or whatever team that thinks up of these, the gong, the shot off the Effiel Tower, McIlroy and the robot, the slow motion commercial w/Mozart's Requiem is bloody brilliant. 

I'm thinking how far to get that sod over there assuming that's real grass. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!