IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 157

Did one of my favorite practice scenarios today. That being shots over a bunker, to a practice pin. Actually that pin is to be used by folks hitting out of the bunker. I see this shot more often than not when playing for a score. The greens keeper will place the pin on the green but also protect it with green side bunker. It's a risk reward/reward type of shot. 

Today I set up 40+/- yards from the bunker. Focus was on carrying the bunker, but also landing the ball near the the pin, some 15-20 feet on the other side of the bunker. Any balls that fell short, and landed in the bunker, became bunker practice shots.

I hit 56 balls, with 52 of them clearing the bunker. I had no problem getting the four balls out of the bunker. (B+)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day4 

worked on putting. Tried to be more bent over, softer elbows, and have more rocking shoulders. Contact was much better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Day 123 - June 6, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2204267 - Played nine holes. Driver was good. Putting was fine. Irons and long clubs… not so hot. But not terrible.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 197   Very short day today..... spent 10 minutes in the driveway swinging my Orange Whip.... hoping to improve my tempo.   Maybe it will not rain all day tomorrow -- we had almost 4 inches of rain today.  Wish it was going to places that really need it.

Day 35: 

Embarrassing day on the course. Played 8 holes and shut it down. Shanking everything. One of the worst years of Golf I have played and I’m practicing harder than ever. 

Day 6.  Half hour of chipping, trying the putting motion now on a green that where I can chip to holes.  Measured a repeatable rocking motion with my 56, 50, U, W and 8-iron.  Then did some chipping to holes, should have played that get-to-50 game.  Chipped in with a W.   My reason for doing so much of this is that I realized a few days ago that I don't really know what to do within 20 yards of the cup when I can't putt, and I've been trying to force putting, even when I'm 60-65' away.   Now I'm more comfortable with the shorter chips.

I did also half an hour of putting, 4' 6' and 8' putts, trying to go through my routine.  Made fewer than I thought I would.

I also went to the gym earlier today.  If I'm not in pain tomorrow, I will do full swing practice.  All this short game... yes I know it's a weakness, but I feel like I'm cramming for a test that isn't for a few weeks (my next tournament round is two weeks from tomorrow).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 68, June 7 - Playing 18 today and tomorrow! 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 158

Spent some time on the DR this morning. Focus was on my posture and grip. Had a couple of problems in these areas, that creeped into my swing, seemingly overnight.  I started hitting pulled shots. I was bending over too far, and for some reason I was letting my fingers get loose at the top of my swing. 

These were not really bad pulled shots. I was just missing shots to my left. 

First thing I checked when the pulls started showing up yesterday was my down swing, making sure I wasn't doing the outside in thing. That check out ok. Aim, and alignment was good, as was one piece take away. 

The pulled shots were more noticeable in my higher lofted clubs. 

Pretty sure I have a handle on the issues. The ball flights are straighter. Figure I just got complacent. 

In My Bag:

Day 36: 

45 minute range session over lunch. Worked on trying to figure out what I am doing wrong to cause my sudden case of the dreaded shanks. filmed my swing...getting really steep it appears and way out over the top, but not sure what I am doing to put myself in that position yet. I have posted on Myswing thread so feel free to chime in. 

• Administrator

Day 124 - June 7, 2018 - http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/2206157

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DAY 198    Got home around 4:30 after visiting with the project manager for the new home we are building.  So then I headed to the putting green.  Spent 90 minutes on three drills. 

Hit 50 putts off the Pelz Putting Tutor to work on starting the ball on line.  This is one of my favorite things to do... since if I can start the ball on line, ... I have a better chance of making putts! Duh!!  

Second, did a modified "Dottie Pepper" putting drill.  Instead of using 3, 5, and 7 feet.  I used 3, 5, and 9 feet.  The drill is that you have to make 3 in a row from the first distance to move back to the second distance.... and if you make 3 in a row from there.... well you get the point.  IF you miss at any distance you have to start back at 3 feet.   I used my Aimpoint experience and was able to go through this entire drill in one try!!!  YEAH!!

Third did a distance control drill where you have to make 5 in a row inside 3 feet.... starting at 30 feet, then progressing to 40, 50 and 60 feet.   Didn't complete this drill in the time allotted.  Maybe give it a go on Sunday when I am next able to practice my putting.

Day 5

Played 9 holes. Tried to make B+ swings. Worked out for the most part. Putting was an issue, mostly distance control. Short game was OK. I am hitting distance wedges too low and to far. 

Irons seem to be a tad too low. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 7.  Decided at lunch I'm going to play today.  Played a nearby course that some people I think highly of, including at least one TST friend, that I hadn't played before.  My putting was much better than before, although still left some to be desired.  I only hit 3 GIR.  I drove it well and hit my approaches okay.  I need to hide my short game in even deeper shame.  But... that's why we play, right?  

In any case, did some swing stuff during warm-up, my usual.  And then, you know, played 18 holes!  :-)  Might go check out the sister course tomorrow if I get some stuff done in the morning.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 125 - June 8, 2018 - Scouted out Green Meadows with @NatalieB (76). She has to re-play even some familiar courses because she's hitting it into all new places.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/rounds/2207637

Day 159

Was out at sun up at the practice area. Just staying a head of the heat. 

Pitching, chipping, and putting practice. Focus was on aim, alignment, and distance control. I also seemed to get rid of my pulling problem with the longer pitch shots. (B+)

I have a little game I play in my short game practice scenarios. It goes like this. Everything is based on two strokes being par. I hit everything to a target. Pitch, chip or putt, it doesn't matter. Everything has a target. Some guy once said, that if you don't aim at anything, you won't hit anything. 

So, let's say I chip 14 balls, from various locations to various targets. Par is going to be 28. Let's say it takes a total of 35 strokes to hole out those original 14 balls. I simply divide 28 by 35. The resulting percentage is my grade for that practice scenario. Anything above 90% is good. 

Obviously this grade won't transfer to the course. It's way too high, but it does give me an idea of how I am doing. 

Making a game (competition) out of my practices is more fun, and relaxing than just raking balls, and doing repetitive swings. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Day 8.  Range work this morning, outdoors on mats.  Focused on setup and the drills from evolvr.  40 balls, a little over an hour.  I also worked on driver:  set up as per swing lesson, modify based on LSW, weight forward... when I do that, I hit a bunch of good drives.  Yesterday (and other recent rounds) alternated between really good drives and some poor ones.  

Did not chip or putt because the course where I hit the range this morning isn't where I'm going to play this afternoon, and I'm going to do those to warm up when I get to that course.  I feel like, despite the short game failures in yesterday's game, there were only a few holes where I really had a good chance to go GIR, despite GG telling me I didn't lose many strokes driving.  Feels like a contradiction.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Day 37:

30+ minutes at the range. Primary focus was a drill @iacas gave me to stop this over the top crap. Best practice I have had in a long time on the range. Using a alignment stick/shaft as a training aid I was able to hit some really flush shots with no shanks. It was nice for my misses to just be shots that fell outside of my shot zone and not jot shanked weakly off to the right. I was able to remove the training aid and replicate the shots (mostly) with just the same feeling. Needed that confidence back. 

DAY 199  VERY short day.   Spent barely more than 5 minutes using my Impact Ball and shortened club... taking swings while trying to keep my forearms connected so the radius of my swing  was more consistent.