Day 13 - April 23, 2021

Rainy day. Indoor work on putting and chipping. Spent till with getting comfortable with full swing grips and new putting grip. Also, working on a new swing idea for short chips around the green to use an iron with putting grip and flow. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for 2018! Please read as the rules have changed! Yes, for all of 2018! I'm changing it up. Rather than do this monthly, we're going to hav

3/31/18: Day 365: The post you've all been waiting for.  I did some more work with my A4 to A5 drills. I know it seems like it's monotonous and stupid... But yesterday after I posted I

Day 67.  Played in a club tournament.  Shot an 83 (no birdies, nine pars).  Three double bogeys:  a GIR + 4 putts, plus two three-putts after missing greens (one from sand, one from a short sided pitc

Posted Images

Day 108 (24 Apr 21) - played 18 today.  As this was a pleasure round w/wife, son and grandson, it was a good day for on course swing mechanics.  Primary work was with the irons and making solid contact, not being fat or thin.  Worked on getting the trail leg to extend on the backswing to get the hips to rotate while making sure the head stayed down thru the swing. Saw good success with the irons - ball flight straight and distances good for me, even overshot a couple of greens!  

Day 494:

Did some takeaway and backswing drills, and a bit of indoor putting work. 

Day 62.  First tournament at my home course in over a year (officially -- we did a stealth one once).  I shot 85 despite only hitting 3 GIR.  I got up and down to save par five times today, opposite only three-putting one of the three GIR :-)  

Now to get back to some long game work so I can hit more GIR.

• Thanks 1

Day 23 (4/25/21) - Its raining today, so did  PuttOut games. Scored 10 on the basic PuttOut game (1 for a return and 3 for a perfect putt) and 38 on the Perfect Putt Challenge (total number of putts to get a perfect putt each from 1' to 6'). I also learned the Ladder Drill (a putt from each point on the PuttOut mat without missing).  

Day 495:

Played 18, scored poorly, but it wasn’t too bad aside from three awful triple bogies, where I left myself in terrible places. So overall not too discouraged.

• Administrator

Day 484 - April 25, 2021

Full swing work downtown focusing on a little of the right side crunch after the arms go up and out to start the backswing.

Day 14 - April 25, 2021

Range work on my priority pieces with slow swings on various clubs. Made a couple tweaks on my grip and how to get it into position from start to finish. Changed from interlock to overlap. Finished off with putting drills on the practice game. Starting to feel much more confident with the putter. 

Day 109  (25 Apr 21) - worked on fairway wood downswing impact zone.  Noticed that I am topping these pretty often lately.  Got out the whiffle balls, the 3 wood and took aim at the backyard football goal....focus was on not getting too steep on the downswing thru impact.  In other words no coming over the top...the goal was to impact the ball, small divot mark post impact, with the ball flying thru the uprights.  Worked both with ball teed and off the deck.  

Day 63.  I didn't do much today (compared to previous), but I did find 5 minutes to hit a dozen or so chip shots and another 5 minutes for some full swing (same priority as before).  

Day 110 (26 Apr 21) - more fairway/hybrid work today.  Only this time it was with a single whiffle ball walking from shot to shot in the back yard with the grandson.  This is mindful practice as this is not about mindless wailing away but rather concentrated thoughts on what I want to happen.  Worked on making the pre-shot process consistent and focused on not "killing" the ball but rather making consistent contact.  By making this more of a "game" situation and there being time between shots, I was able to analyze the good and bad of each shot based on the ball flight (which with no wind today, the whiffle reacted to the club face nicely - with most shots demonstrating a good start right come back left flight pattern).  Side bonus - as I had only fairway or hybrid in hand, also worked on putting with those into the holes in the backyard because you never know when  you may really have to putt with one of those clubs.    

Day 196: Play 18 today in brutal windy conditions, 20 to 30. There were a couple of gusts that almost knocked me over during my swing. It was also only in the low 40s to start. Felt like my back swing was flat and I was rushing it. Also, when I tired to play lower shots I was getting too much curve or over draws. Went to the range after to smooth things out.

Day 24 (4/26/21) - About 10 minutes of the 5SK "Hips Preset Drill" with my 7-iron and a whiffle ball (backyard), followed by about 10-minutes hitting a whiffle ball with my my 5H off a tee. Currently my focus is Keys 1 and 2 however I will need to get going on Key 3 (inline impact) soon as that is clearly a weakness. 

Day 15 - April 26, 2021

Continuing Range work on my priority pieces with slightly faster swings than yesterday with various clubs. Work on alignment and ball contact. Additionally, added work between swings on the Snap Stick drill from the Covid drills to help with downswing. Posted 7 iron swing to My Swing to look for insights from others. Worked on putting stroke in practice pad, and pitch practice in the backyard. 

Day 496:

Skipping superspeed again this week to focus on priority piece. Today I started with Covid-19 day-1 and day-2 drills. Then did some full swing rehearsals using a wall drill "feel" because there was no wall. Between rehearsals, I hit foam balls with slow swings. I'm using foam balls as an attempt to not focus so much on contact and trajectory, and just work on getting the motion down better. I'll hit real balls later on in the week. I did this with 9-iron, 7-iron, and 5-iron.

• Administrator

Day 485 - April 26, 2021

Good session today. Started off going too fast. Slowed down. Then resumed some faster shots when I got the feel back for my timing and everything else.

Day 64.  Today was a long day, but at about 10pm, I managed to wind down with ten minutes of pitches and chips with my gap wedge (indoors, off a mat, into a net;  mostly real balls).