IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 168 ?

Pitching, chipping, and putting practice today. My usual routine for the most part.

Did something different with my putting. I played 18 practice pins, using only one ball. Difference was I hit every ball from the fringe. Nothing from the actual green. I did this to familiarize myself with that putting stroke.  I was 5 over.  (C+)

Another guy was out there hitting 40 yard pitch shots. He was hitting everything pin high, and basically on target. He asked for some advice. 

He told me he has a problem with balls running way past the pin on his pitch shots when on the course. However, when practicing, like today, the ball stops close to the pin. 

His question had a simple answer. Balls roll easier on greens than they do in rough. His mistake was using a 40 yard club, for the 40 yard shot on to thick grass. There wss no green for the pin he was aiming at. That he should use a shorter club, and land the ball in front of the pin in these practice conditions. This would allow for a roll out to the pin, even though the ball stopping in front of the pin.

He had a "smh" moment, but I assured him it's was a common mistake some golfers make when practicing.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DAY  209   Got a late start....   Spent 90 minutes hitting wedges focused on technique for about 75% of the time and targets 25%.  I feel like I am continuing to make some progress... all my issues are involved with technique.   So ironing them out is a challenge I am enjoying.   Then spent 30 on the range hitting 7 irons with my feet together... and then a driver -- pausing at the top of the backswing to work on sequence.

Played 18 holes ...   shot 70 which I have done now on the last two rounds.   Still lots of work needed.  In the meantime I am enjoying the lower scores.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/JuanTheGolfer/round/2232443

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

• Administrator

Day 135 - June 18, 2018 - Putted in the basement while "studying" for my PGA Level 3 tests earlier today. Took a few swings in the mirror, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 47:

Rainy day so no outside range time or backyard swings. Settled for 5 minutes of mirror work. 

Day 18.  Spent 75 minutes putting, working first without a ball and just coins to get the pendulum described.  It felt like I was stopping my putter very short, but after seeing the feedback in my swing thread and looking at the videos in light of the description, maybe that's the feel I need?  In any case, I then focused on hitting pendulum putts with real balls aimed at real holes (maybe I should have done distance drills first?) and I feel like I made more than my fair share, including two 12' in a row at one point (not from the same spot).  

I had intended to do some pitching and chipping practice too but was having too much fun putting.  I plan to continue practicing putting this way, although I have to get to the range this week too.  We'll see! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 3, June 19 - 45 minutes net work. Focused on my priority piece and smooth backswing and transition.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 169

Played in a seniors tourney this morning. We were the first cart out. 

Shot an 86, which netted out to a 75 after applying my temporary handicap. Finished above half way (14th) in the  group. Had 32 golfers in the contest. 

Didn't hit anything real bad, or real good. Just played consistent, decent golf. Had 14 bogies, and 4 pars. Also putted really well. 

Winner had a net score of 64. The guy I shared the cart with netted an 81. He was quite a talker. 

This was my first tournament with this club of old dudes. Got my share of ribbing, for being the "new guy". 

Had a good time this morning. 

In My Bag:

DAY 210    Got out for 90 plus minutes working on my short wedges--before the thunderstorms and rain.  All technique.  I was hitting the ball a lot better today - more consistent contact and trajectory.  While improvement is an uneven type of thing... I am definitely moving positively in the right direction in improving my technique.   As it improves I will work more on distance control/target-orientation.

• Administrator

Day 136 - June 19, 2018 - A bunch of simple chip shots.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 12

Worked on right side through better in the downswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 48:

Just gameplanning today. Got buckets and buckets of rain today. Mapped out all my tee shots (not including par 3s) for my next round at Woodlands Panther Trail. Walked myself through how I would approach the greens from different spots as well. 

Day 19.  Spent an hour at the range (35 balls) working on maintaining my lag and hitting half shots, primarily.  I also hit several driver shots, both for full and bunting (I don't have a better word for "I need to get this in play but don't need the full driver swing right here, perhaps because it's tight enough that accuracy may outweigh my usual shot pattern").  I then spent 45 minutes putting, working on grip and pendulum (see latest in "my swing"), ranging from 3' to 30'.  Lastly, I spent about 20 minutes chipping, including some uphill lies. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 170

Today was bunker practice day. I practiced shots up to 60 yards. The shortest one being 10 yards, up and over a 5' foot mound. (60 yards was the maximum distance I had available to use)

I did a little "gardening" in the bunker to fluff up the sand. This gave me two different conditions to hit balls off of. 

Focus was on hitting less dirt, and closer to the ball as the distance increased, while still getting the ball to clear the lip of the bunker. All shots were to practice pins. (A-)

Afterwards, I went to the putting green for what I call "casual putting". No focus. Just walk up, and putt the ball. (B)

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Day 49: 

Still too wet to hit at my usual range, so I am did some work indoors today. Spent some time at the gym doing the med ball drill from LSW to increase driver distance. I will work on this weekly. Also- spent some time throughout the morning working on proper hip turn in the backswing. I hope to be able to do some putting practice tomorrow. 

DAY 211     Spent an hour on the range hitting full shots, trying to bring what I have learned about my swing in my wedge game into my full swing -- as appropriate.  Then went over to my buddy's course to play 18 holes.   Was three over par, not a bad day.  Felt good about how I was hitting the ball, ... though still a lot of work to do.

• Administrator

Day 137 - June 20, 2018 - Short game work in the back yard after @NatalieB won her tournament, and before we saw The Incredibles 2.

Day 13

Range work with the driver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 20 - 50 practice chip shots (stance, swing, target), then a half hour of putting, then a small bucket at the range (30-35 balls, an hour) working on half swings, punch shots, and my old priority piece (I have a new evolvr lesson in, but I don't want to work on it until Saturday because I'm playing tomorrow & Friday)... and of course some drives and full wedges.  I finished up with another 15 minutes of putting. 

-- Michael | My swing!