IGNORED

Anyone use a gps watch for golf?

Golfer gal
Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love my Bushnell Neo.  Although it's a bit bulky because it 3-4 years old, I'd be lost without it.  Gives me front, middle and back measurements.  Didn't cost much either...less than $150.  Good battery life, finds courses fast.  Only not so great thing is connecting the charger to the watch...it's like a clip thing, not a plug and it's tough to get the connection right.

If I played a lot of strange courses I would need a laser as well to see how far out targets are.

Next time around I might look into something that tells me distance to targets but I'm fine with what I have now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes. I use a SkyCaddie watch. Has functioned very well, on course as a rangefinder of sorts and as a watch, etc. off course. Gets course info fast. Shows front, middle and back. All much the same as what @Typhoon92 described for his Neos.  When I need more, I refer to Golf Logix on my phone. Best regards, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• Administrator

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Sorry, Erik, I did search the site using "gps watch," but nothing came up. Then again I'm not all that tech-savvy... do I have to run an actual Google search? 

Seems way too cumbersome...

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Golfer gal said:

Seems way too cumbersome...

You don't have to, no: https://thesandtrap.com/search/?&q=gps watch&type=forums_topic&sortby=relevancy.

But because "GPS" is three letters long, only, it's helpful in this case as the site doesn't index words shorter than four letters. More details here:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 10 months later...

My buddy has a Garmin GPS watch that he loaned me for a tournament on a course I had never played before. I wore it on my wrist, and thought it might be a bother since I never wear anything on my hands while playing. I never noticed it at all! 

However, I will say that we have noticed discrepancies as large as 6 or 7 yards between the readings of the exact same model Garmin watch when taken from the exact same spot at the same time! My game is not so precise that this will make much of a difference for me, but for a better player it might. 

• 1 month later...

I use a Gramin S20 that I've had for a couple of years. Good watch. Good battery life.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I used a Garmin S6 for years, now I use my Apple watch with the Golfshot app and use that all the time.
Love to have a quick view of the distance.

Do sometimes use my rangefinder, but more as a backup.

In my bag:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ TP  10.5*, 3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP 15*, Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 22*, Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5- 53*, Wedges: Cleveland RTX 56* & 60*, Putter: Odyssey Versa #7, Ball: Pearl Golf Pure Pro

Bags: Pearl Golf Liberty Stand Bag & Titleist StaDry Cartbag

On 1/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, Golfer gal said:

Does anyone here use a gps watch? What kind and what do you think?

Garmin is the first.

Brings up a funny story of a buddy who worked for Magellan (first people to commercialize GPS) he said “Our marketing people didn’t even have the foresight to copy the competition. ‘Who needs a GPS that fits on to your wrist, anyway?’ “

He works with me at our robotics company now, but we’ve worked together on and off for 27 years. Many years ago we used to design volumetric flowmeters for the sewage and waste water industry. He said that “The same effluent comes from the mouths of marketing people...” 🤪😂🤪

So, I’d go with Garmin. 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!