IGNORED

How long should it take

Stu
Note: This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First post on here (or any forum for that matter!!)

I took up the game as a 43yr old a year and half ago and am going through various degrees of improvement and set backs!!! Currently playing off a not very impressive 21!!

After about 6 months I developed a big slice which Ian working on and gradually getting on top of,. I'm also hit the ball fat most of the time with my irons,.  As I work away from home a lot I recently brought a eyeline speedtrap too see if this would help me when on a range, tried it today and really struggled, constantly hitting the base.  My biggest challenge is I get really impatient and frustrated with myself, so my question is how long should I realistically expect before I see improvements using these type of aids?   I think I'm probably expecting improvement too quickly.    I competed in a different sport internationally so finding this one incredibly frustrating but at the same time a great challenge!!!

Thanks Stu

Welcome

Based on your post, my first suggestion is get rid of the frustration, impatient attitude. As long as those two traits control your golf practice, and play, your improvement will be slow, and long. I am of the opinion that the game of is a game of continual, never ending improvement. There is no room for self defeating, bad vibes in this game. 

Being a 21 handicapper is not that bad. You are breaking 100, and that's a number alot of golfer can't break.  I don't know the current numbers, but I'd say you are some where close to average.

I say relax, and enjoy what game you already have, while continually trying to improve. Improvement will happen. It should be a fun journey getting better at golf. It's also a hard journey. The hard part is what makes it a challenge, and good challenge is always fun. How long it takes an individual to improve is a personal thing. Individual talent for the game has lot to do with how fast one sees improvement. 

You will read other good recommendations from others on here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is very difficult to give you a definitive answer as there are so many variables. Training AIDS have there uses but are somewhat limited if you want to improve there are some things you need. 1 Is you need to educate yourself on the fundamentals of the golf swing, how do you do that I did it by having lessons with a PGA pro and continue to do so. 

The more knowledge  you have and understand about your swing the better IMHO. 2 you will need to practise and be smart about how you practise, your pro can help you with this. Don't beat yourself up about your golf it's a very, very hard game. Remember your good swings and forget the bad ones.

I’d suggest a lesson, some lessons, with a pro and go from there. They can see what you are doing and help you from there vs trying to “ feel” your way through this and figure it out on your own

To answer the question, for us mere mortals who start as adults, I think it's the work of a lifetime. 

I don't know how often you play/practice , but I think 21 in 18 months is decent going. That's a similar level to a few of my group who've been playing for years. 

Regarding playing other sports, this is a really tough game.  Many sports, such as football, are relatively easy for some people to get fairly good at (even if the pros are on a different level). That isn't the case with Golf, where beginners luck pretty much doesn't exist. I've seen other folk who are generally good sportsmen join our group expecting to be able to be competitive , score 60+ on the short 9 hole we play, and never play again. I'm in a similar place to where you are, so I know the early stages can be frustrating. 

Once your full swing becomes consistent, you'll just keep on improving. 

On 1/19/2018 at 1:05 PM, Stu said:

I took up the game as a 43yr old a year and half ago and am going through various degrees of improvement and set backs!!! Currently playing off a not very impressive 21!!

After about 6 months I developed a big slice which Ian working on and gradually getting on top of,. I'm also hit the ball fat most of the time with my irons,.  As I work away from home a lot I recently brought a eyeline speedtrap too see if this would help me when on a range, tried it today and really struggled, constantly hitting the base.  My biggest challenge is I get really impatient and frustrated with myself, so my question is how long should I realistically expect before I see improvements using these type of aids?   I think I'm probably expecting improvement too quickly.    I competed in a different sport internationally so finding this one incredibly frustrating but at the same time a great challenge!!!

Thanks Stu

Welcome Stu.    You've come to the right place to help your game.     Read the "How To" section and post a self swing video.   You'll get a lot of good free help.   

Read the Instruction Content section:  Here

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 1/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Stu said:

Thanks Stu

I think you’re doing pretty well. 21 is not bad playing. Don’t get frustrated with yourself.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As some people have said, it depends. If you are going to the range once a week and playing 1 time a month then 21 is really good. 

If you are getting lessons, working on your game 30 min a day and playing a few times a week it might be less great. 

If you want to get better you need a good grip, good set up and a reproducible swing. I am a big advocate of getting lessons.

But what better mean is a truly individual thing. For me it is a 2-3 (for now), that requires the range 2-3 times a week and playing at least 1 round a week. I take about 1 lesson a month to help me focus on the next thing. It also involves keeping stats on my game to identify where I need to work.

For someone else it might be a focus on fitness or flexibility. It could be a focus on putting or tempo or sequence. But unless you have a solid understanding of the golf swing, "working on your game" is likely just putting band-aids on duct tape on baling wire.

At the end of the day do what it take for you to enjoy your time at the range or on the course. This is fun after all.

Note: This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!