IGNORED

2018 Arnold Palmer Invitational

colin007
Note: This thread is 2221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He's got some stupid comments (who doesn't), but I think he's got more quality as announcer than a lot of the other ones. I find that many announcers fit into the same box on the commentary. Every week and every round it's the same stuff, and it's a lot of fluff that doesn't give me anything. It's like I'm listening to a radio where they announce everything that happens. There's no insight, no reflection on what we're seeing. Miller is better at calling things like he sees them, and I'd rather have that with a few stupid comments here and there than the standard golf announcer style.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

He's got some stupid comments (who doesn't), but I think he's got more quality as announcer than a lot of the other ones. I find that many announcers fit into the same box on the commentary. Every week and every round it's the same stuff, and it's a lot of fluff that doesn't give me anything. It's like I'm listening to a radio where they announce everything that happens. There's no insight, no reflection on what we're seeing. Miller is better at calling things like he sees them, and I'd rather have that with a few stupid comments here and there than the standard golf announcer style.

Yes, this.

It's not like he doesn't say dumb things. He does.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

And I think you're basing that on a picture you have of him from 10+ years ago. I don't think you've given him a fresh listen in a decade or more.

Who in his position (color) is better?

I've seen Johnny out at tournament sites at 7am, 8am, scouting out the greens and the hole locations and taking a bunch of notes - himself - seven, eight hours before he's going to be on the air. He's following the grounds crew around. I've seen him on the range talking with people. The man puts in his time, puts in his work. An arrogant man doesn't do that.

Bear in mind that part of his position is to create discussion and interest. Like Brandel. Sometimes they say something ridiculous… it gets people talking. That's part of their job.

I don't doubt that Miller puts in the work. I also can't give you an answer about who is better. I like Feherty better, but I don't know enough to really say if he's better than Miller. I disagree that arrogant men don't put in the work. I've known quite a few. 

I also agree that part of his position is to create discussion and interest. I'm not a fan of that sort of thing. I'm personally not interested in "discussion starting". Not saying it's a moral failing, of course, just that I don't like it. 

As far as whether I've given him a fresh listen: I watch virtually every PGA tournament, whether live or on DVR. I don't think he's as bad as he used to be, but my basic critiques remain the same. His personality rubs me the wrong way. 

But I fully admit that it's just my personal preference, and that I could be wrong. I'll give him a closer listen, though I didn't get much out of him at Bay HIll.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

He was pretty funny when he was talking Mad Scientist, the yips and arm anchor. He said he was the forst to do it. I'm surprised no one was pissed about that.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I don't doubt that Miller puts in the work. I also can't give you an answer about who is better. I like Feherty better, but I don't know enough to really say if he's better than Miller. I disagree that arrogant men don't put in the work. I've known quite a few. 

Feherty isn't the main color guy. Totally different job.

8 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

But I fully admit that it's just my personal preference, and that I could be wrong. I'll give him a closer listen, though I didn't get much out of him at Bay HIll.

It's an opinion. Not right or wrong.

Do yourself a favor (and I say it this way because if you do this you may enjoy broadcasts more) and try to give him a completely fresh listen. Don't roll your eyes at the first thing and assume the worst. Laugh at his stupid comments (like the video below), and listen to what he says.

I think you'll find:

• He talks about what players are likely feeling or thinking at any given time, or where they should hit the ball, from a guy who has been there.
  • He'll give credit when possible.
  • He'll make some dumb comments about what caused a shot or how a shot sounded. Just laugh those off.
  • He'll be critical when someone does something poorly.
  • He's pretty fair.
  • When he does say something that rubs you the wrong way, often it's prompted by those out in the field. Gary Koch is pretty bad about this, I think - he prompts Johnny way too much. But then again I really, really don't like Gary Koch, so I've probably got my own bias working hard here.

Just laugh at that shit, because ultimately it's meaningless. It's not arrogant or putting anyone down.

3 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

He was pretty funny when he was talking Mad Scientist, the yips and arm anchor. He said he was the forst to do it. I'm surprised no one was pissed about that.

He probably was. He developed the yips but still won the AT&T at Pebble Beach in like 1994 or something. I remember watching that and rooting him on.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

Miller is a bad announcer. I wish they would replace him permanently with Jacobson (without that dumb ass Jake's Takes stuff), or with Feherty (also sans most of his bits).

Jacobson is way too fluff oriented. He is over the top positive and it comes off fake. A guy will be choking his guts out and he will be talking about the great drive he hit.

Trollin' is the life

You're right, Jake is 100% positive all the time.  It would be annoying, but thank goodness we have Johnny to counterbalance that! Throw in Feherty to add the unexpected, irreverent nonsense and you've got a decent core team. Lose Koch, Roberts and Gannon and replace with (anyone) and it'd be a strong team at NBC.

Rory McIlroy has a successful run at the  Arnold Palmer Invitational. Here's a look at the winners' bag.

Driver: TaylorMade M3 (8.5 degrees), with Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70X shaft

Fairway woods: TaylorMade M3 (15 degrees) with Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 80TX, (19 degrees) with Fujikura Rombax P95X shaft

Irons: TaylorMade P-750 (4), P-730 RORS prototype (5-9), with Project X 7.0 shafts

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind (48, 52, 56 degrees), Hi-Toe(60 degrees), with Project X Rifle 6.5 shafts

Putter: TaylorMade TP Black Copper Soto prototype

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x

Note: This thread is 2221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!