IGNORED

Rip Off Prices at a Golf Expo??

soupy1957
Note: This thread is 2223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tomorrow I’ll be going to a Golf Expo in a nearby city. I put together a set of Titleist clubs, but still need a Sand Wedge.

So I figured I might find one at the Expo, but I wonder how inflated the prices will be AT the Expo. 

Anyone have any experience with pricing, at a Golf Expo???

I’m also wondering what is a “must do” or “must see” when I go to one of these?

Edited by soupy1957

As with anything, it's buyer beware.    What you'll find, some of the prices will be a deal, others will be competitive and others will be ridiculously over priced.   Use the internet as a guide and do some price comparison.    Where you'll find deals are with last year's clubs and golf accessories.  

Keep us informed on your purchase.   Good luck 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can also negotiate, at least at the ones I've been to. Most expos seem to be an attempt to get rid of last year's inventory, so don't be afraid to lowball them.

Colin P.

It's been my experience most stuff golf related is over priced. It mattered little where it was being sold. 

However, golf expos do have bargains if the buyer looks hard enough. Most of those bargains show up on the last day of the show. 

Negotiate with the seller. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have purchased books at better than normal prices doing this.

I have not been to a golf expo in several years. Just not interested in that type of stuff anymore. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Any of the golf expo's around here would usually charge EXACTLY MSRP with no discounts at all. Especially on new equipment. You would only find discounts on off brand clubs and 2 or 3 year old "normal" club models. Usually, the prices are no better than any online available retailer. Only really saving on shipping costs.

If your golf Expo is similar to what we visited recently in Cleveland, Vokey SM5 wedges could be had for $99.  Brand new, still wrapped in plastic.

As others mentioned, if you don't like the price you see, make an offer.  They might just take it because anything they sell doesn't have to be transported (cost involved) back to wherever it came from.

We got incredibly good deals in Cleveland.  Took a foursome with me.  Only deal was anything you buy has to fit in the trunk of my BMW or you're walking home with it.  We bought clothes, shoes, clubs, one bag, gloves, hats, balls, etc.  Bunch of smaller stuff but all was priced better than any of the online shops.

Again, they brought the stuff there to sell, not take back home.  You'll find a wedge!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

On 3/24/2018 at 8:58 AM, colin007 said:

You can also negotiate, at least at the ones I've been to. Most expos seem to be an attempt to get rid of last year's inventory, so don't be afraid to lowball them

Look at the indoor geography of the golf expo from my visit in February.

• The area golf shops that have set up satellite sites have some good deals, but other stuff is pretty much full price.
  • The OEM equipment reps (Callaway, Titleist, TM, etc.) will give you a discount on purchasing the latest new gear, but in the winter you only get to test the clubs indoors. If you are considering an M3 or M4 hardware from TM, or Rogue line from Callaway, do you homework. Know going in the door the specs and the shaft offerings for each item that interests you.
  • Then there's the garage sale area. This is where you will find barrels of wedges and long clubs, and bundled sets of irons, generally two years old or more. As far as Vokey goes, I could have put together a couple of different 52-56-60 or 50-54-58 SM6 sets out of the barrel, for less than $100 per unhit Vokey. These were shelf demos, or wedges with cellophane still on the heads.

For the garage sale area, golf club brokers representing several stores will let you negotiate better prices than will the assistant manager of Barry's Golf Shop. 

The garage sale area is also a great place to pick up that 5W or 7W to match the Callaway XR 3W you bought in 2015.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!