Gerald

Back after not playing for about 5 yrs.

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

After moving to Bulgaria I didn't play golf for a few years, asked my sister to send me an old set of Wilson Cavity backs that I bought online (not shipping to Bulgaria) and will try to pick up the game again, I figure with a little bit of practice will be a bogey player soon enough.

Still need to find a good driver of about 2-3 yrs back ..... any recommends ?

Just for info, my natural swing is a slight fade, not the best for a good drive, but I managed around 250-275 yds normally.

Cheers, Gerald.

Edited by Gerald
extra info

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Welcome back! If I were in Bulgaria, I would be spending a lot of money at Thracian Cliffs... That place looks beautiful!

Driver-wise, if you're over bogey golf level but hit it 250, you're a bit of a statistical anomaly... Is that on a good hit? If so, how often do those occur? Not doubting you (I was a 15 handicap with the odd 300 yard drive in me, so I completely get it...), but a bit more context might help.

I can't recommend golfbidder enough - you get a lot of choice and going for models that are a few years old will save you a lot of money. Personally, I've always liked the Callaway X2 Hot / XR family for drivers. Easy to hit, forgiving and cheaper than their top-end stuff. I also got fitted for a Mizuno JPX at one point. Again, just a personal preference, but I've never got on with Taylormade drivers as they sound very loud, tinny and I just can't get on with the feel. That said, a lot of people love them, so perhaps that's worthless! 

If you can, try before you buy. I think golfbidder have a no questions return policy over 7 days, but depends whether they ship to Bulgaria, I guess.

Good luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Just for info, my natural swing is a slight fade, not the best for a good drive, but I managed around 250-275 yds normally.

Hey Gerald good to hear your getting back into the game.  Nothing wrong with hitting a fade, those sound like good distances to me.  The answer you'll probably get most is to get fitted, but if you're trying to save some money, is there a place where you can at least hit a few different drivers?  I wouldn't recommend buying one sight unseen and it's tough to make any recommendations since things like looks/feel/sound are very subjective.  If you can, get fitted, if not, definitely hit a few to see what you get along with in terms of feel/shaft/ballflight.  Some things just jive, others don't ,and a driver isn't worth the gamble.  Best of luck!

43 minutes ago, Gerald said:

27 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Nothing wrong with hitting a fade, those sound like good distances to me.  

^^^ This. Dustin Johnson hits a fade as his main shot shape and hes one of the longest drivers on tour.

You can be a great driver of the golf ball, you can get good distance and roll without hitting a draw. I hate seeing when people think a draw is the only way to hit a drive far and get it to roll. Thats simply not true.

Yep.  Draws can stop/back up on a dime and fades can roll.  So much more to it than shot shape.

I try to play a fade as much as humanly possible. Like Lee Trevino once said, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen".

@Gerald I wish I had both a fade and your distance. Best wishes with coming back to golf. I did that 2 years ago but was injured last September and I'm just now playing golf on this weekend. What a wonderful game!. Best-Marv

12 hours ago, Gerald said:

Hello,

After moving to Bulgaria I didn't play golf for a few years, asked my sister to send me an old set of Wilson Cavity backs that I bought online (not shipping to Bulgaria) and will try to pick up the game again, I figure with a little bit of practice will be a bogey player soon enough.

Still need to find a good driver of about 2-3 yrs back ..... any recommends ?

Cheers, Gerald.

I just recently upgraded my driver from what my friends referred to as an antique (Great Big Bertha) to a Callaway Razr Fit.  I picked it up used while in AZ this past winter and I like it very much.  I should have made that upgrade years earlier is all I can say - big difference in both forgiveness and distance.  Definitely go hit a few and see what feels best. Good luck with the comeback!

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, b101 said:

Welcome back! If I were in Bulgaria, I would be spending a lot of money at Thracian Cliffs... That place looks beautiful!

Driver-wise, if you're over bogey golf level but hit it 250, you're a bit of a statistical anomaly... Is that on a good hit? If so, how often do those occur? Not doubting you (I was a 15 handicap with the odd 300 yard drive in me, so I completely get it...), but a bit more context might help.

I can't recommend golfbidder enough - you get a lot of choice and going for models that are a few years old will save you a lot of money. Personally, I've always liked the Callaway X2 Hot / XR family for drivers. Easy to hit, forgiving and cheaper than their top-end stuff. I also got fitted for a Mizuno JPX at one point. Again, just a personal preference, but I've never got on with Taylormade drivers as they sound very loud, tinny and I just can't get on with the feel. That said, a lot of people love them, so perhaps that's worthless! 

If you can, try before you buy. I think golfbidder have a no questions return policy over 7 days, but depends whether they ship to Bulgaria, I guess.

Good luck!

Tracian Cliffs is a beautiful course, I was near in Balchik last summer, but no time.

Distance has never been an issue, I am tall 6'8" and played a 5.7 handicap about 30 years ago, drives are still long but short game lacks practice.

Golfbidder is not shipping to Bulgaria ....

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:34 AM, fishgolf said:

I just recently upgraded my driver from what my friends referred to as an antique (Great Big Bertha) to a Callaway Razr Fit.  I picked it up used while in AZ this past winter and I like it very much.  I should have made that upgrade years earlier is all I can say - big difference in both forgiveness and distance.  Definitely go hit a few and see what feels best. Good luck with the comeback!

Yes, I mostly liked those Callaway drivers, long and easy to hit, but most are go high flight !