IGNORED

Back problems by the 15th hole

Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 66 years old and have had three back surgeries. When I play 18 I ride a cart but by the time I get to the 14th or 15th hole my back really tightens up and I end up pushing my drives, fairway woods, and irons to the right, (yes I aim left). I take Aleve before I play but I still have problems towards the end of my round, which really screws up my score. Any thoughts, tips on how to over come this problem?

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Try some Yoga to strengthen your core muscles.   It can't hurt.

You know I took Hatha Yoga for many years a long time ago. I got away from it but it is a good suggestions, I'll have to break out my Yoga books and start again. I remember most of the positions and stretches. I'll start easy and build up and see if it will help. Thanks 

16 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I'm 66 years old and have had three back surgeries. When I play 18 I ride a cart but by the time I get to the 14th or 15th hole my back really tightens up and I end up pushing my drives, fairway woods, and irons to the right, (yes I aim left). I take Aleve before I play but I still have problems towards the end of my round, which really screws up my score. Any thoughts, tips on how to over come this problem?

Improving core strength and stretching will help a lot. I do a lot of golf specific exercises and yoga stretching. I recommend the book in the link below. It will help both. There are other core strength exercises you can do that will not affect your back.

Yoga for Golfers

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You might want to consider walking to more of your shots instead of riding. Still ride in the cart, but on occasion get out a walk a little bit. That is if your previous back serguries will allow you to walk more often. 

I have had my lower back tighten up when riding a cart. Never when I walk, which is 95% of my rounds. The walking tends to keep things loose. 

I have been told that muscles tend to tighten up to protect themselves, and/or other parts of the body..I know that when riding in a cart, the bouncing around can cause irritation to my back. Nothing serious, but just some noticeable discomfort. 

Just a thought. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

The course where I live (and play) requires the use of carts, but encourages (not limits to) keeping them on the paths. As much as possible, I try to leave the cart on the path and walk to the ball. If someone is on my heels, I let them play through. (I play alone 99.9% of the time.) Walking always loosens up my back.

I also get a lot of massages.

I'll have to try walking more when I play but it is hard in a foursome when everyone is riding and trying not to hold up golfers behind us. But I'll give it a try along with yoga, we'll see.

50 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

I'll have to try walking more when I play but it is hard in a foursome when everyone is riding and trying not to hold up golfers behind us. But I'll give it a try along with yoga, we'll see.

Pick your spots to walk when ever the opportunity shows up. It doesn't have to be every hole, and when you do, the walk doesn't need to be very far. 

Question, when your group finishes the front 9, do you take a break at the 19th hole before your final 9 holes? Maybe sit awhile before continuing on? 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 4/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, Patch said:

You might want to consider walking to more of your shots instead of riding. Still ride in the cart, but on occasion get out a walk a little bit. That is if your previous back serguries will allow you to walk more often. 

I have had my lower back tighten up when riding a cart. Never when I walk, which is 95% of my rounds. The walking tends to keep things loose. 

I have been told that muscles tend to tighten up to protect themselves, and/or other parts of the body..I know that when riding in a cart, the bouncing around can cause irritation to my back. Nothing serious, but just some noticeable discomfort. 

Just a thought. 

This is a good idea. Maybe start out just walking the par 3's. Also, when riding in the cart, sit up straight. Taking Aleve helps with the pain, but you're just treating a symptom.

Also, is your avatar a Springer Spaniel? Had a Springer many years ago. Great dog!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

22 hours ago, Patch said:

Pick your spots to walk when ever the opportunity shows up. It doesn't have to be every hole, and when you do, the walk doesn't need to be very far. 

Question, when your group finishes the front 9, do you take a break at the 19th hole before your final 9 holes? Maybe sit awhile before continuing on? 

No the group goes right to the 10 hole. I'm playing in a league so we all want to finish up and get to the 19th for the fun and games. I will try walking as much as I can and see if that helps. And the yoga stretches beforehand.

Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!