IGNORED

Recovering from Multiple Things

Note: This thread is 2156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to forum and looking for advice. Hope this is the correct form to post this?

I had an abdominal Aortic bypass 3 years ago, followed by rotater cuff surgery last year. Hadn't swung a club in 3 years until yesterday. Went to practice range.

Physically I felt fine, no pain. But mentally, I'm so afraid of hurting myself that I can't control any long iron or wood. My backswing is shorter than it was, which I can live with, but I just can't relax and do a full follow through. I seem to be pulling up after impact, protecting the rt shoulder. This is giving me a hook....which I NEVER had. I can feel it as soon as I do it and know it's going to be a bad shot. Short irons were great out to 125yds, never missed a green. I was never a long hitter, but I was always straight, no hook, no slice, even with long irons & woods. Couldn't hit either of those yesterday.

My immediate plan is to hit the practice range once or twice a week before attempting the course. If I can work through the fear and get my long irons/woods back, I'll be good to go.

Any advice on how to get pass the mental block ?  Should I just let er rip and risk more injury?  BTW...Dr says I can't hurt his work by swinging, but it's it's not his shoulder or loss of work/income!

46 minutes ago, txshooter said:

New to forum and looking for advice. Hope this is the correct form to post this?

I had an abdominal Aortic bypass 3 years ago, followed by rotater cuff surgery last year. Hadn't swung a club in 3 years until yesterday. Went to practice range.

Physically I felt fine, no pain. But mentally, I'm so afraid of hurting myself that I can't control any long iron or wood. My backswing is shorter than it was, which I can live with, but I just can't relax and do a full follow through. I seem to be pulling up after impact, protecting the rt shoulder. This is giving me a hook....which I NEVER had. I can feel it as soon as I do it and know it's going to be a bad shot. Short irons were great out to 125yds, never missed a green. I was never a long hitter, but I was always straight, no hook, no slice, even with long irons & woods. Couldn't hit either of those yesterday.

My immediate plan is to hit the practice range once or twice a week before attempting the course. If I can work through the fear and get my long irons/woods back, I'll be good to go.

Any advice on how to get pass the mental block ?  Should I just let er rip and risk more injury?  BTW...Dr says I can't hurt his work by swinging, but it's it's not his shoulder or loss of work/income!

I had knee and hernia surgery last Nov/Dec. Start with slow easy swings and don't worry about good shots at the range. Just focus on making good contact. Work up your speed progressively. The first session may be all slower swings. You will be a bit sore after. I wear a wrist guard on my left hand and a wrap on my right elbow if I'm hitting off mats just to prevent injury.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Recovering from Multiple Things

I am all too familiar that mental block the OP spoke of. I am kind of in one right now myself. In the back of my mind there is that thought that even though I am fine, I might reinjure myself by trying to make my normal swing. In my case it's a pinched nerve in my shoulder that I am trying to get over. At some point in the future, I will most likely use my # 3 way to get through this ordeal. 

One way to get over a physical injury to continue on, is to take the time to basically forget about the injury. I cut my throwing arm, requiring stitches. The cut was on the inside of my elbow. I was afraid for a long time to throw a ball. I had visions of throwing the ball, and the cut opening up. Then one day just out of the blue, without thinking, I threw a toy for my dog. First thing I thought was "crap"???.! The I realized I could throw stuff again. The injury was healed. 

Another way to test out an injury is to take what ever task you are try to accomplish, one step at a time. Slow and easy. The human body has built in mechanisms to protect a previous injury. Moving past an injury, in a slow, deliberate manner, in conjunction with your body feed back, is usually the best way to go. 

A third way, and one I will not recommend to others, is my own "screw it, go for it" mentality. If it feels healed, looks healed, then it must be healed. If it fails, the experts can fix it again. My own "no fear" attitude. Again, I do not recommend this type of mentality to anyone. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Nice Post Patch!

Excellent advice.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

10 hours ago, Patch said:

Another way to test out an injury is to take what ever task you are try to accomplish, one step at a time. Slow and easy. The human body has built in mechanisms to protect a previous injury. Moving past an injury, in a slow, deliberate manner, in conjunction with your body feed back, is usually the best way to go. 

A third way, and one I will not recommend to others, is my own "screw it, go for it" mentality. If it feels healed, looks healed, then it must be healed. If it fails, the experts can fix it again. My own "no fear" attitude. Again, I do not recommend this type of mentality to anyone. 

I think I'll go with #2.  Can't afford to be out of work again if #3 goes bad.

I had a steel plate in the lead forearm installed , and rotater  cuff work in lead shoulder a month later. The key to regaining near normal use is a good physical therapy program which unfortunately involves a therapist that often feels more like a torturer - but they are well trained to attempt to achieve as close to normal (pre injury) motion as possible.

Work on mobility, but do not overstress the injured area - follow the therapists regimen as much as possible. Near normal flexibility will result unless there is an orthopedic problem (in my case the repeated fracture of the radius forearm bone resulting in a imbalance between the radius and ulna).

As for the rotater cuff, the only issue I have noticed is the incision (mine was considered least invasive) still divides the muscle joining the arm to clavicle (there's quite a few and I do not know all their names). This can cause issues beyond the repair of the cartilage and joint themselves.

Go easy, do not create further injury, and follow your therapists regimen. Deal with it - you most likely will be unable to regain perfect strength and flexibility - but you may get close!

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Hi @txshooter ! Yeah, it's difficult. I like @Patch post and I'll add a little. Have right knee problem (good now due to 5 injections); impingement to both rotator cuffs (out of phys therapy 3 weeks ago); and both hands (carpal tunnel surgery, now painful rheum arthritis being treated). Just playing my 3rd round since Sept 2017. So...First time out to the range was just as you described. A friend said get back with my instructor to help with swinging as best I can given the physical limitations. That was hard but good advice. Also, in addition to pain meds, I wear arthritic gloves on both hands to absorb shock. Finally, the physical therapy does not have to end; resistance band exercises and a little session on my shoulders and I'm good. FIND A SYMPATHETIC INSTRUCTOR AND FRIEND; CONTINUE TREATMENT AND EXERCISE; TAKE THE NECESSARY MEDS TO ENJOY THE GAME AGAIN. Best wishes, my brother. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

After reading about the various injuries posted on TST, perhaps we need a dedicated thread on "Golf & Injuries".....lol  😃

In My Bag:

It could turn into a soap opera like young dr. Kildare who is a golf pro on the side. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

2 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

It could turn into a soap opera like young dr. Kildare who is a golf pro on the side. -Marv

No, not really since Soap Operas are considered fiction. There's nothing ficticious about my shoulder issue. 

In My Bag:

It does take some time to "trust" your body again after an injury. One time, I sprained my left ankle while playing basketball over the Winter. When it came time to hit the range in Spring to get ready for golf, I couldn't get my weight into my left side to save my soul! I was reverse pivoting like crazy!

All you can do is keep at it until, at some point, you will make a proper swing and nothing hurts! This is when the trust will begin to build, and you will realize that you are capable of doing so repeatedly.

Note: This thread is 2156 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!