IGNORED

Bar Harbor, Maine - Blink Bonnie or Grindstone Neck?

Note: This thread is 2146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Off topic but this is the "backyard" of the rented house. 

IMG_1588.JPG

Just steps from the back door are the stairs to the little shore.

IMG_1590.JPG

Nice.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/27/2018 at 8:33 AM, nevets88 said:

I was looking at photos and how to view the area guides and was like wait a minute, better add an extra day, looks like a lot of places to see. Last time was in Portland was thinking of doing a quick drop in but then thought the limited time wouldn't do it justice I'll come back, now making good on that. Have a NP pass too so that's taken care of. 

Probably going to do that schooner  tour as well as a ferry to one of the islands. 

Got lucky, forecast looks like warm and relatively sunny, got a house with a water view, nothing like being on the water's edge. 

If you have the time, you should make sure that you have lunch at the Jordan Pond House, best Lobstah Stew around, plus their popovers with strawberry jam are awesome!  And the views don't suck either.  near bubble rock if you want to hike, parking sucks though.

http://acadiajordanpondhouse.com/

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

12 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

If you have the time, you should make sure that you have lunch at the Jordan Pond House, best Lobstah Stew around, plus their popovers with strawberry jam are awesome!  And the views don't suck either.  near bubble rock if you want to hike, parking sucks though.

http://acadiajordanpondhouse.com/

Doh, we were just there and caught the views on the second floor but already had lunch. I must have one of these popovers though. 

Took Route 1 instead of superhighway from Portland. A longer drive but liked the views and the towns. Lots of interesting food along the way too. 

You can see Kebo golf course from Cadillac mountain. One of the fairways look huge. Or is that a driving range? 

Living on the waterfront does not get old. Could stay here for the rest of the summer no problemo urban jungle can go to hell. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Doh, we were just there and caught the views on the second floor but already had lunch. I must have one of these popovers though. 

Took Route 1 instead of superhighway from Portland. A longer drive but liked the views and the towns. Lots of interesting food along the way too. 

You can see Kebo golf course from Cadillac mountain. One of the fairways look huge. Or is that a driving range? 

Living on the waterfront does not get old. Could stay here for the rest of the summer no problemo urban jungle can go to hell. 

That is the course from Cadillac Mtn.  They dont have a driving range, only a net, unless they built one since the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

The route 1 drive from Portland is awesome, Brunswick, Bath, Camden, Rockport, Belfast, Searsport, Bucksport, pretty good trip along the coast.  The Samoset Resort golf course is awesome, Pebble Beach of the East.

If you go into Bar Harbor and want cheap eats, that is good, check out the Thirsty Whale.  Great fried clam basket. Or at least they used to be.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Thanks. 

11 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

That is the course from Cadillac Mtn.  They dont have a driving range, only a net, unless they built one since the last time I was there a couple of years ago.

The route 1 drive from Portland is awesome, Brunswick, Bath, Camden, Rockport, Belfast, Searsport, Bucksport, pretty good trip along the coast.  The Samoset Resort golf course is awesome, Pebble Beach of the East.

If you go into Bar Harbor and want cheap eats, that is good, check out the Thirsty Whale.  Great fried clam basket. Or at least they used to be.

I'll look out for Thirsty Whale. Thanks! On the way here, there was a long line for Red's Eats at Wiscasset. 

Grindstone was exactly what I was looking for. In and out no muss no fuss, thanks ground crew for lending me bug spray. Very pesky flies. There is an actual grindstone in front of pro shop. I like the name, it's unique.

IMG_1757.JPGIMG_1764.JPGIMG_1774.JPG

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Thanks. 

I'll look out for Thirsty Whale. Thanks! On the way here, there was a long line for Red's Eats at Wiscasset. 

Grindstone was exactly what I was looking for. In and out no muss no fuss, thanks ground crew for lending me bug spray. Very pesky flies.

Bug Spray is a usual requirement most of the time. 

Red's is very good, but always packed.  Another place to go if you're around Kittery is Bob's Clam Hut.  Also very crowded, but food is oh so good.  
 https://www.bobsclamhut.com/

But if you want another gem or two I know a few places.  If you are driving through Bucksport, stop at Crosby's Drive-In.  My Mom's family is from Bucksport, this was the place to go for a Fried Clam Basket and Onion Rings, I went out of my way to go here last time I was in Maine, it was still really good.  I have a lot of fond memories from here. The Bucksport Golf Course is not far from here (I used to be a Member there when I lived in Orland, decent 9 hole course,the Owner is a friend).  Carrier's Mainely Lobster, which is down the street towards route 1 from Crosby's) and is owned by my Cousin and her husband, but I have never eaten there, although I heard it was good.

1425606293_CrosbysDrivein.PNG.f3e4a52b6c382fca54541340a1a860b7.PNG

The other place to go is Jordan's Snack bar in Hancock Me.  It's a couple miles out of town from Ellsworth on Route 1A towards Calais.  The White Birches Golf Course (18 hole mostly par 3 course) that I used to play is down the street from it.  Used to play a tournament there every year and would always eat the fried clams or lobster roll from there.  Mostly fried clams.  :beer:

jordans.PNG.5b4b0521ad6b1171fdeb599eaa926cf5.PNG

The Union River Lobster Pot in Ellsworth is good as well.  A little off the beaten track. It has a nice outside seating area if the bugs aren't too bad.

-Jerry

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Bug Spray is a usual requirement most of the time. 

Red's is very good, but always packed.  Another place to go if you're around Kittery is Bob's Clam Hut.  Also very crowded, but food is oh so good.  
 https://www.bobsclamhut.com/

But if you want another gem or two I know a few places.  If you are driving through Bucksport, stop at Crosby's Drive-In.  My Mom's family is from Bucksport, this was the place to go for a Fried Clam Basket and Onion Rings, I went out of my way to go here last time I was in Maine, it was still really good.  I have a lot of fond memories from here. The Bucksport Golf Course is not far from here (I used to be a Member there when I lived in Orland, decent 9 hole course,the Owner is a friend).  Carrier's Mainely Lobster, which is down the street towards route 1 from Crosby's) and is owned by my Cousin and her husband, but I have never eaten there, although I heard it was good.

1425606293_CrosbysDrivein.PNG.f3e4a52b6c382fca54541340a1a860b7.PNG

The other place to go is Jordan's Snack bar in Hancock Me.  It's a couple miles out of town from Ellsworth on Route 1A towards Calais.  The White Birches Golf Course (18 hole mostly par 3 course) that I used to play is down the street from it.  Used to play a tournament there every year and would always eat the fried clams or lobster roll from there.  Mostly fried clams.  :beer:

jordans.PNG.5b4b0521ad6b1171fdeb599eaa926cf5.PNG

The Union River Lobster Pot in Ellsworth is good as well.  A little off the beaten track. It has a nice outside seating area if the bugs aren't too bad.

Thanks! Waiting for order from Jordan's. 

Steve

Hey Maine DOT, Vokes driving range is closed. Please remove the directional signs to it please. 

Steve

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Thanks! Waiting for order from Jordan's. 

How was it?

29 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Hey Maine DOT, Vokes driving range is closed. Please remove the directional signs to it please. 

I think that place has been closed for years

-Jerry

20 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

How was it?

Very good. Had the scallops, haddock and cole slaw. Skipped on lobster because lobster every day is a bit repetitive.

Steve

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Very good. Had the scallops, haddock and cole slaw. Skipped on lobster because lobster every day is a bit repetitive.

No Fried Clams?  😎

-Jerry

1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

No Fried Clams?  😎

Oy vey, totally forgot :doh:. It's on the way back, will try and stop by and get some then. 

Steve

Jeebus the black flies are bad this year. You better get a gallon of bug spray for the rest of the trip. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

35 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Jeebus the black flies are bad this year. You better get a gallon of bug spray for the rest of the trip. 

Do you spray that stuff on your face? The super dark forest DEET version.

Steve

I use the Repel lemon eucalyptus spray and I do put that on my face. It seems to be better for black flies for me. I also wear a hat and spray the bahjeezus out of it.

• Informative 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

I use the Repel lemon eucalyptus spray and I do put that on my face. It seems to be better for black flies for me. I also wear a hat and spray the bahjeezus out of it.

Yeah, that tip the grounds guy gave me to spray the hat was good advice.

Steve

21 hours ago, nevets88 said:

because lobster every day is a bit repetitive.

That's not true for me at all. When I was in Maine last summer, I had lobster every day for a week, sometimes for multiple meals. We even brought some live new shell lobsters home 😋

10 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Do you spray that stuff on your face? The super dark forest DEET version.

I never spray any bug spray on my face.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

28 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's not true for me at all. When I was in Maine last summer, I had lobster every day for a week, sometimes for multiple meals. We even brought some live new shell lobsters home 😋

I never spray any bug spray on my face.

Had seafood everyday, that's gotta count for something!  😜

Went on a lobster boat tour. Learned requirements to catch lobster in Maine, residency, apprenticeship, lobster boat. Did not know that female lobsters have bigger abdomens and males, bigger claws. The size requirement for keeping your catch. And the deadly fines. Did not know you can request male/female, or some have the option to cook lobster yourself. Never bothered to lookup what a live lobster looks out of its shell.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2146 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!