IGNORED

New irons... but not sure what I should be looking for

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking for some direction here. I'm a 24 HC that is looking to get a new set of irons so I can have them custom fit. I know you can have old one bent but even with my forged irons a couple places I check wont touch them. Anyway, I was never a big believer that custom fit would help much but then I got my irons lengthen with jumbo grips and it instantly help my consistency and distance control (I'm 6'4") . I did get a static fit done and they said I need 4 degree up but that I should get a dynamic fit done too. My natural miss is a push fade that I at times over correct and hit a pull or hook. I have a fitting not sure what I should be looking for. I hit the ball high and long with my irons with generally solid contact ( as long as I keep my head still) and am a bit worried. All the game improving irons seem to increase your hiegth and it distance which isn't want I need. But I dont think I strike the ball consistently enough to go with player irons. 

Most of the major brands have irons that are forgiving but have more traditional lofts, or at least less jacked up lofts. I.E. Titleist AP3s are in between the AP1 G/I clubs and the AP2s that are played by many professionals, and Mizuno makes 3 versions of their JPX900 series, just to name a couple.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The above post is sound advice.  Check those types of "tweener" irons out, but remember, if your clubs are more than a few years old, the lofts will inevitably be stronger, even with the non max-game improvement type clubs.  Using Srixon's lineup as an example, I'd have to get their Z965 blade irons to keep the same lofts as my current irons...and I DO NOT have the game for that.  You could always have them bent a bit weaker since you're planning on a custom fit.  Additionally, the fitting will help you get the right shaft for the ball flight you're looking for.  Good luck!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

If I have to go with stronger irons to keep from hitting it too high it's not a huge deal. I rather have to adjust distance a bit than fight the wind with my approach shots. 

As a newbie, I usually recommend locating Demo Days in their area.
Ask around golf clubs, they are very common at private clubs but are also at local courses in the spring.
Ask a retail store if they know of any upcoming. Ask golf buddies.

At a Demo Day, the manufacture reps are equipped with fitting carts
which have various shafts and club heads which are easily interchangeable.

Some retail store may have only specific brands in a fitting cart.

Tall and Strong usually equates to stiffer shafts.

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Last week I went to a PGA Superstore to get fitted for clubs (Also 6'4") I've been using a 15+ yo set of W/S Firesticks Graphite and I knew they were terrible for me but I still managed to become a bogey golfer despite this, 7i averaged 145-160 carry.

I was eventually fitted with M4's,1+, 3 degree adjustment, x-stiff 105g shafts and the change is incredible, carrying 197-200 with my 7i. In a span of 2-3 hours and tons of swings they we're able to fit me properly

On 6/3/2018 at 1:16 PM, Wskyduck said:

, carrying 197-200 with my 7i. In a span of 2-3 hours and tons of swings they we're able to fit me properly

What club do you hit from 120 yards or 80?  I am not sure I would call that properly fit?  +3 you said is that +3 on the loft?

I got a set of Ping I200's over the winter.  I am very pleased with them.  They are not a long club but they are very consistent distance wise and they are more forgiving then you would think.

Edited by inthecup

1 hour ago, inthecup said:

What club do you hit from 120 yards or 80?  I am not sure I would call that properly fit?  +3 you said is that +3 on the loft?

I got a set of Ping I200's over the winter.  I am very pleased with them.  They are not a long club but they are very consistent distance wise and they are more forgiving then you would think.

I ending up getting the i200. I actually hit my irons pretty solid so I dont need the "super game improving" irons. In fact I hit the i200 better than the g400 ir 700. 

I'm I a similar boat as wskyduck. I I hit my 7i 190 carry. Personally I hit a sw 120 and my 62 lob is 95. Just have to learn how to take 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 swings with ur wedges

On 6/5/2018 at 1:07 PM, inthecup said:

Currently hitting my Cleveland 56 degree inside 120, I should receive my clubs tomorrow to begin testing for yardages of other clubs. (52, 62, 4i, etc)

On 5/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, Nate7132 said:

Looking for some direction here. I'm a 24 HC that is looking to get a new set of irons so I can have them custom fit. I know you can have old one bent but even with my forged irons a couple places I check wont touch them. Anyway, I was never a big believer that custom fit would help much but then I got my irons lengthen with jumbo grips and it instantly help my consistency and distance control (I'm 6'4") . I did get a static fit done and they said I need 4 degree up but that I should get a dynamic fit done too. My natural miss is a push fade that I at times over correct and hit a pull or hook. I have a fitting not sure what I should be looking for. I hit the ball high and long with my irons with generally solid contact ( as long as I keep my head still) and am a bit worried. All the game improving irons seem to increase your hiegth and it distance which isn't want I need. But I dont think I strike the ball consistently enough to go with player irons. 

It seems to me that you need something that is in the in-between category, such as a Titleist AP3, Mizuno MP-18 MMC, or Ping i200 something in that range on head design. I personally play Exotics but that is a different animal entirely. I've also heard that higher-handicaps that are improving have benefited from the recent Cobra offerings (F7, F8, etc).

We all want to have 10-foot birdie putts instead of 25 feet. I just switched to pure muscle-back blades this year and it's taking some getting used to. I wouldn't recommend going this route. Get a dynamic fit, and try different models out. As I always say, get the proper shaft for YOUR swing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!