IGNORED

Finding your scoring zone

Note: This thread is 2152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last summer I had some time off and was able to hit balls every day for over a month. I was able to chip for 30-60 a few times a week and did a lot of putting drills. 

I was playing great. I was scoring well and making putts. 

I played on the simulators all winter and got used to shooting low numbers. I got out on the course early this year and played really well (a few rounds under 75). Suddenly I just can't score. Some of it is the course i am playing but most seems to be in my mindset. I can't seem to find that calm and relaxed state for more than 3-4 hols at a time.

What do people do to find that free flowing comfortable place in the game to play from?

Thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The hardest thing to do, but it works:

1. Hit your shot

2. Accept the result - whatever it is

3. Repeat

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Since you say you only play well for 3 or 4 holes at a time, try breaking up the 18 holes in groups of 3. This gives you 6 new starting points in a round. You can even have a target score for each three hole group. 

My own calm state is that I just glad to doing something out of doors. The score doesn't matter. It is what it is. Some days are just better than others. 

If you don't already have one, perhaps a good pre-shot routine could help you out. It gives you a chance to relax in between shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, criley4way said:

I can't seem to find that calm and relaxed state for more than 3-4 hols at a time.

What do people do to find that free flowing comfortable place in the game to play from?

First, golf is a game. You are not playing it for your career. You livelihood is not on the line. So, stop worrying about it and enjoy the game.

Second, golf is hard and golfers are consistent. They are consistent at the ability they are playing at. You are a 6-7 handicap. 6-7 handicap golfers will miss half the greens in regulation. they will probably have less than 50% scrambling rate. They will miss more than 50% of their fairways in regulation. A 6-7 handicap fails more often than succeeds with their intentions. Yet, a 6-7 handicap is in the top 20% of all golfers who have a USGA handicap. Just saying, golf is hard.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Buy Erik's "Lowest Score Wins".    You'll read solutions to problems you didn't realize existed and some very helpful information about situations just like yours.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

56 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Buy Erik's "Lowest Score Wins".    You'll read solutions to problems you didn't realize existed and some very helpful information about situations just like yours.

This. I just received LSW this week. I want to practice (1) completing my swing facing the target and (2) some specific approach shots I can execute while dealing with injured hand/rotator cuff issues. I read Separation Values first, then the chapter "Small Successes" that begins practice methodologies. (Totally out of order, but I have been called into a 2-day tournament despite my difficulties.) My thoughts in practice today were "Simple, Specific, Slow and Short, Small Successes". I wasn't trying for perfection as usual; just "Small Successes." And they were there.  So, onward, upward. Best, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Note: This thread is 2152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!