IGNORED

RIP Hubert Green, Peter Thompson

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hubert Green, winner of 19 PGA Tour events, 10 others worldwide, and the 1977 U.S. Open and 1985 PGA Championship, died Tuesday at age 71. See his AP News obituary here: https://apnews.com/e62852d0e9d746009f91e8ba3cd3c1bb

Peter Thompson, winner of  84 professional events and five British Opens (1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, and 1965), died Wednesday at age 88.  See the NY Times obituary here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/obituaries/peter-thomson-australian-golfer.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Too bad about Hubert Green, got to watch him several times in Memphis and seemed to be a real nice guy. One of the most unusual swings ever. Old line on him was one of the 70s pros was hitting balls on the practice tee, might have been Weiskopf, and a chainsaw started up in the distance. "There goes Hubert working on his swing again." It had the whole practice tee laughing.

RIP Hubert and Peter.

Live from the doghouse.

Hubie's a local hero here...always enjoyed following his group here at the Bruno's Memorial.  Hated to hear about his passing.  RIP.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sad news. Hubert Green was one of 'the' names on the PGA Tour in the late 70s - 80s when i first became interested in golf; as well known and popular as, for example, Jim Furyk today.

Peter Thompson was a legendary player whose 5 Open Championships is one of the great accomplishments in modern golf history.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

• iacas changed the title to RIP Hubert Green, Peter Thompson
43 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Peter Thompson was a legendary player whose 5 Open Championships is one of the great accomplishments in modern golf history.

When I die I hope people make up bullcrap like that about my accomplishments.

Who did he beat in 1954? 1955? 1956?-Truth is the British Open back then was not even really considered a major.

The PGA Championship was regularly scheduled at a time that almost guaranteed the best players in the world wouldn't play in the British Open (nor would they care to anyway).

The prize money won by Peter in 1954? 750 pounds.-According to a currency converter that is under 10 thousand in today dollars.-$9,107.09.

Place Player Country Score To par Money ()
1 Peter Thomson 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 71-68-70-72=281 –7 1,000
2 John Fallon 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 73-67-73-70=283 –5 500
3 Frank Jowle 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 70-71-69-74=284 –4 350
4 Bobby Locke 23px-Flag_of_South_Africa_%281928%E2%80% South Africa 74-69-70-72=285 –3 200
T5 Ken Bousfield 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 71-75-70-70=286 –2 90
Antonio Cerdá 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 73-71-71-71=286
Bernard Hunt 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 70-71-74-71=286
Flory Van Donck 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 71-72-71-72=286
Harry Weetman 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 71-71-70-74=286
T10 Romualdo Barbieri 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 71-71-73-72=287 –1 40
Christy O'Connor Snr 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 71-75-70-71=287

Oh I bet Peter was quaking in his boots with Flory Van Donck and Harry Weetman nipping at his heels five strokes back-And winning 90 whole pounds for their efforts-That is almost $1150 in 2018 money!

I hope he rests in peace-and nobody can take away his wins. But they were not major championships. He won one event on the PGA Tour and the British Opens had worse fields than a modern-day Web.com Tour event. I give him more credit for winning the Texas International Open than his first four British Opens combined.

The 1965 one at least had a few decent players competing.-Kinda.

Greenie-Man-the world lost a character there.

RIP to both men.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

When i die i hope nobody pisses on my grave like you just did on Peter Thompson's. Because he didn't win millions of dollars means it was a pathetic, meaningless win? How totally screwed up that thinking is. How many players have ever won 5 Open championships? This great accomplishment should be admired and respected by all golfers past, present, and future.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

When i die i hope nobody pisses on my grave like you just did on Peter Thompson's. Because he didn't win millions of dollars means it was a pathetic, meaningless win?

He didn't do that.

4 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

How many players have ever won 5 Open championships? This great accomplishment should be admired and respected by all golfers past, present, and future.

They weren't at all what should be considered major championships when he won them. Not even close. I agree - I give more weight to the PGA Tour event he won over the first four British Opens he won.

But it's kinda off topic, too. So I won't get into it much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Phil McGleno said:

When I die I hope people make up bullcrap like that about my accomplishments.

Who did he beat in 1954? 1955? 1956?-Truth is the British Open back then was not even really considered a major.

The PGA Championship was regularly scheduled at a time that almost guaranteed the best players in the world wouldn't play in the British Open (nor would they care to anyway).

The prize money won by Peter in 1954? 750 pounds.-According to a currency converter that is under 10 thousand in today dollars.-$9,107.09.

Place Player Country Score To par Money ()
1 Peter Thomson 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia 71-68-70-72=281 –7 1,000
2 John Fallon 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 73-67-73-70=283 –5 500
3 Frank Jowle 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 70-71-69-74=284 –4 350
4 Bobby Locke 23px-Flag_of_South_Africa_%281928%E2%80% South Africa 74-69-70-72=285 –3 200
T5 Ken Bousfield 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 71-75-70-70=286 –2 90
Antonio Cerdá 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 73-71-71-71=286
Bernard Hunt 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 70-71-74-71=286
Flory Van Donck 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 71-72-71-72=286
Harry Weetman 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 71-71-70-74=286
T10 Romualdo Barbieri 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Argentina 71-71-73-72=287 –1 40
Christy O'Connor Snr 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Ireland 71-75-70-71=287

Oh I bet Peter was quaking in his boots with Flory Van Donck and Harry Weetman nipping at his heels five strokes back-And winning 90 whole pounds for their efforts-That is almost $1150 in 2018 money!

I hope he rests in peace-and nobody can take away his wins. But they were not major championships. He won one event on the PGA Tour and the British Opens had worse fields than a modern-day Web.com Tour event. I give him more credit for winning the Texas International Open than his first four British Opens combined.

The 1965 one at least had a few decent players competing.-Kinda.

Greenie-Man-the world lost a character there.

RIP to both men.

Wow. I repeat, WOW. Your "who did they beat" nonsense is insufferable enough in the Tiger-Jack threads you and some others like to run amok in. But to go there here, shows me all I need or want to know about you. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Wow. I repeat, WOW. Your "who did they beat" nonsense is insufferable enough in the Tiger-Jack threads you and some others like to run amok in. But to go there here, shows me all I need or want to know about you. 

Do you think I care what you think of me?-How is me the topic here? It is not.

He beat a bunch of nobodies. Do we pretend Arnie was a great family man when his daughters did not like him and he cheated on his dear Winnie left and right?-Let a man be judged based on the truth not some aggrandized version of him.

He died. He was a much better golfer than I ever was. He was not in the top 30 golfers who ever lived and it is lying to pretend he was.

Neither was Hubert Green.-But man what a character that guy was.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

That's enough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A nice obituary of Thomson, from the press in his home country:

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5483174/thomson-the-golfer-who-was-truly-world-class/

Why it's a good obituary, I think, is because it documents the man's life in the times in which he moved. He was, after all, a non-US golfer who began in the pre-Arnie days of professional golf (a time very few people can still directly recall). Thomson and Palmer were almost exactly the same age, they were born a month apart in 1929. That certainly seems to have had a significant impact on how he approached his profession. He played in the US for a couple of years in the early 1950s, but the Commonwealth ties between Australia and the UK were, I think, likely closer in the 1950s than they are today, the British and the Australians have a lot of shared history in sport (Thomson had been a keen cricketer in his youth), and he turned to the UK, and subsequently to Europe, as the primary venue for his professional career.

Even in the days before Palmer reignited the public's interest in golf as a spectator sport, and American purses grew bigger, it would have been very unusual, I think, for an American touring pro to base himself in the UK. But it was a decidedly less unusual decision for an Australian.

I like reading about golf's history, and Thomson's life was that of a professional golfer from a bygone age, and something of an unusual story, even for those times.

if you won The Open Championship, the prize money in Thomson’s day “wasn’t enough to buy a new Jaguar”.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

I won the S&W Truck Lines Tournament in 1982, 83 and 88, I hope somebody doesn't come around and say I beat a bunch of stiffs the day after I go to my reward.

My $.02

Live from the doghouse.

8 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

A nice obituary of Thomson, from the press in his home country:

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5483174/thomson-the-golfer-who-was-truly-world-class/

Why it's a good obituary, I think, is because it documents the man's life in the times in which he moved. He was, after all, a non-US golfer who began in the pre-Arnie days of professional golf (a time very few people can still directly recall). Thomson and Palmer were almost exactly the same age, they were born a month apart in 1929. That certainly seems to have had a significant impact on how he approached his profession. He played in the US for a couple of years in the early 1950s, but the Commonwealth ties between Australia and the UK were, I think, likely closer in the 1950s than they are today, the British and the Australians have a lot of shared history in sport (Thomson had been a keen cricketer in his youth), and he turned to the UK, and subsequently to Europe, as the primary venue for his professional career.

Even in the days before Palmer reignited the public's interest in golf as a spectator sport, and American purses grew bigger, it would have been very unusual, I think, for an American touring pro to base himself in the UK. But it was a decidedly less unusual decision for an Australian.

I like reading about golf's history, and Thomson's life was that of a professional golfer from a bygone age, and something of an unusual story, even for those times.

Thanks for posting that article. Mr. Thomson, it seems, was not only a superb golfer. He was quite an impressive man. Here's to a life well lived.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, sheepdog said:

Too bad about Hubert Green, got to watch him several times in Memphis and seemed to be a real nice guy. One of the most unusual swings ever. Old line on him was one of the 70s pros was hitting balls on the practice tee, might have been Weiskopf, and a chainsaw started up in the distance. "There goes Hubert working on his swing again." It had the whole practice tee laughing.

RIP Hubert and Peter.

LOL. Great range story...

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

57 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Thanks for posting that article. Mr. Thomson, it seems, was not only a superb golfer. He was quite an impressive man. Here's to a life well lived.

Think yourself lucky you didn't have to listen to him commentating on Australian golf for the majority of your lifetime. Think about what people who don't like Johnny Miller's commentary THINK he is like (when he isn't) and multiply that by 10. He rarely gave credit to modern players and had a sanctimonius and pompous air about him. He also had a load of BS stories like finding the cheque for an Open win in the pocket of his jacket when it came back from the drycleaner.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 minute ago, Shorty said:

Think yourself lucky you didn't have to listen to him commentating on Australian golf for the majority of your lifetime. Think about what people who don't like Johnny Miller's commentary THINK he is like (when he isn't) and multiply that by 10. He rarely gave credit to modern players and had a sanctimonius and pompous air about him. He also had a load of BS stories like finding the cheque for an Open win in the pocket of his jacket when it came back from the drycleaner.

LMAO I can't stop laughing, because as I'm reading your post, I'm actually thinking, "what a grump". Then I notice the quote in your signature....gotta luv ya!

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Think yourself lucky you didn't have to listen to him commentating on Australian golf for the majority of your lifetime.

Next you'll be telling us Richie Benaud got on your tits as well.

2 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Next you'll be telling us Richie Benaud got on your tits as well.

Sorry, but I have to ask. Who is Richie Benaud?

Note: This thread is 2130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!