IGNORED

A new driver

Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all. Without knowing much about my golf game can I please get some reviews on the following drivers i am looking at.  Ping g 30 ls, Taylormade m1 16 or 17, m2 16 or Cobra f7. I currently use a Callaway X hot 11.5 degree stock regular shaft cut to 44.25. Are the drivers I mentioned an upgrade? I am not a long hitter and play a fade that with too an agressive swing turn to a slice.  Thanks for any suggestions.  I am not a long hitter avg. 215.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I’m a fan of the Ping G and Ping400. I tell you what though, the shaft you use is very underrated imo. All the drivers you listed are good but getting fit to a proper shaft: length, weight, torque, flex and degrees can make huge differences. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cutting the shaft to 44.25 inch?  Get the Titleist 917D2 or D3, and buy the heavier weights to add to the weight port.

If you buy a stock driver and cut the shaft without adding weight in the head, it will swing really light and you lose distance and accuracy.

@vinsk. I am not sure i follow you. Are you saying the current shaft in my driver is underrated or picking the right driver shaft is? Thanks for the reply eithe way.

@GOATee. I am not sure I understand fully. If I chop a driver shaft down to a more manageable length I need to add weight to the head? If i am making better contact I would still be loosing distance? Why would the pga superstore give me an option to make the club perform at its best by adding weight? Is this something I should have asked them to do? Thanks for the reply. 

With that being said is it worth me looking into a new driver?

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

For your special case of cutting the shaft, you need to go to a really good fitter to get fit for a driver.

Adjusting a driver for a shorter shaft is complicated stuff.  You need to know swingweights and may need to add hot melt in the head.

If you buy off the rack, and cut the shaft, it is probably not worth it.

Edited by GOATee

Any time you shorten a club, you lighten it's swingweight. If it gets too light for you, you won't be able to swing it properly.

I've shortened a few Drivers in my day. I would take the club to a golf shop that I knew had a swingweight scale and ask to use it. I learned what the swingweight of the stock club was. After shortening it, I would take it back and weigh it again, to see what the new swingweight was.

I have a book, The Search For the Perfect Golf Club, by Tom Wishon, noted club designer and fitter. In it he describes how to correct swingweight with lead tape. I would apply the tape and take the club back to the shop again to see if I had corrected the swingweight properly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Any time you shorten a club, you lighten it's swingweight. If it gets too light for you, you won't be able to swing it properly.

I've shortened a few Drivers in my day. I would take the club to a golf shop that I knew had a swingweight scale and ask to use it. I learned what the swingweight of the stock club was. After shortening it, I would take it back and weigh it again, to see what the new swingweight was.

I have a book, The Search For the Perfect Golf Club, by Tom Wishon, noted club designer and fitter. In it he describes how to correct swingweight with lead tape. I would apply the tape and take the club back to the shop again to see if I had corrected the swingweight properly.

Good stuff. What he said.

I don't like lead tape or hot melt so I like the Titleist 917D2/D3 heads because they have a weight port that can add heavier weights.

Edited by GOATee
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really helpful stuff guys. Thank you for posting it. It gives me something to  engage with the golf shop about. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I ended up getting the M1. The associate tried to convince me to go with the m2 d. I am nervous and excited to put it in play tomorrow. It makes my X Hot look like a fairway metal compared to the 45.50 length of the M1. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

11 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I ended up getting the M1. The associate tried to convince me to go with the m2 d. I am nervous and excited to put it in play tomorrow. It makes my X Hot look like a fairway metal compared to the 45.50 length of the M1. 

Good on you! I love the excitement of a new club...It's part of the thrill of golf! Since the thread spoke to shortening drivers (as I have done with success), please keep us posted how you're doing with the M1 after using it. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Played the 1st round with it. I did inform my buddy i would be breaking the rules to try and get the driver dialed in. Needless to say i made 2 changes during the round. Due to the length and weight system it will take me a trip to a simulator i think to get this this comfortable in my hands. I will say from someone who fades the ball and borderline slice this club almost would not allow for it with the draw setting all the way on draw. The 1 negative is the grip. TM uses in my opinion a lousy one. Once i do get the flight i like I will throw on my grip of choice and leave the driver settings.  This club is forgiving. 

• Like 1

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

Quick updatein the driver. It is very forgiving and i feel i have tweaked it to my preference. Just added my grip of choice(mcc). Away we go. This is a fun club. 

• Like 2

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

Note: This thread is 2135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!