IGNORED

To fit or not to fit, without a consistent swing

Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone tells me that I should get my clubs fit to me.

I counter that I do not yet have a consistent enough swing to bother with this.

My thought is, if my swing is not repeatable at least 90% of the time, how could a set of clubs be fit to that swing?

I would say I am consistent about 70% of the time, but I certainly make more than my share of mistakes in my swing.  I am of the mind that I need to improve me, before I improve my equipment.

Am I off base?

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think many of us have struggled with the thoughts you are having.  No doubt you will hear both sides of the argument from others here.  

I worked on my game for years without having the clubs fit to me, and last summer had a fitting.  The pro that fit me said he thought it would help to use an inch over standard length and 3 degrees upright.

Did I suddenly start shooting par and overnight drop strokes off my game with my new irons?  Simple answer is no. 

But I do feel more comfortable in my stance and am swinging more confidently with those clubs. As a result, I think I have less "clutter" thoughts getting into my setup and preparing to swing.  Now that HAS resulted in better scores and rounds. 

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Depending on where you purchase your clubs they'll include the fitting for free. The range/pro shop I buy my stuff through fits all clubs bought through them at no cost. If you can get it done for free then why not? I would look around to see if anyone does this in your area. It's worthwhile for the information you can collect on your swing numbers if nothing else.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

18 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Depending on where you purchase your clubs they'll include the fitting for free. The range/pro shop I buy my stuff through fits all clubs bought through them at no cost. If you can get it done for free then why not? I would look around to see if anyone does this in your area. It's worthwhile for the information you can collect on your swing numbers if nothing else.

In my mind, I am just not "ready" for fit clubs.

Example:  All year, when I hit poorly, it has been a push.  So there is a flaw in my swing that I need to correct.  Fitted clubs could help remedy the effects of this flaw.

Sunday, every single bad shot was a pull.  First time I have ever pulled, and every single bad shot Sunday was just that.  If I had clubs fit to compensate for my push, and this Sunday happened, those pulls would have been in the next county.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

2 minutes ago, millsan1 said:

In my mind, I am just not "ready" for fit clubs.

Example:  All year, when I hit poorly, it has been a push.  So there is a flaw in my swing that I need to correct.  Fitted clubs could help remedy the effects of this flaw.

Sunday, every single bad shot was a pull.  First time I have ever pulled, and every single bad shot Sunday was just that.  If I had clubs fit to compensate for my push, and this Sunday happened, those pulls would have been in the next county.

Not necessarily. But it's obviously your decision.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Right now, I would at least get the correct length and lie angle.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, millsan1 said:

Everyone tells me that I should get my clubs fit to me.

I counter that I do not yet have a consistent enough swing to bother with this.

My thought is, if my swing is not repeatable at least 90% of the time, how could a set of clubs be fit to that swing?

I would say I am consistent about 70% of the time, but I certainly make more than my share of mistakes in my swing.  I am of the mind that I need to improve me, before I improve my equipment.

Am I off base?

This.

• Informative 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This.

Yeah, to the OP, your swing IS consistent, even if the results don't make it seem that way.

Colin P.

I think it has a lot to do with your physical characteristics, i.e., are you very tall, short, long arms, short arms, etc. as to whether or not you need a fitting right now. I was fit years ago for a set of Pings and everything was standard but the lie angle, (I was a blue dot, just off the standard black dot), but I didn't see that small adjustment in lie angle making any difference, (I'm 6.0' and I guess standard for everything else). But as said above if you get a free fitting when purchasing a set of clubs why not? 

Are you thinking about buying a new set?

If you're thinking about altering your current set then you definitely need a fitting.

Nothing new.  I am a brandy dandy new golfer, this is my first year of actually trying to learn how to swing, etc.

Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!