IGNORED

FG-17 Staff Tour Blades

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Finally got around to finishing this set. 

6.0 rifles, tour velvets, standard length and lie. 

Sort of took a gamble with the white ferrules but I think they look alright.

I still can’t believe how good of shape they are in. Make sense they were with the original owner since the early 80’s. I was going to game them but they will sit for a while unless they get sold off.

904C4442-0D77-4F4A-B817-240B0F0DFAC9.jpeg

47B6C032-CF02-4EBE-B440-AFF413DF9935.jpeg

3CC86EB3-5B50-4D7A-A220-3B95678C3A0D.jpeg

3A68786F-59DA-41CF-9002-32DE21F1C66F.jpeg

30D09F89-0B10-4176-AB51-561DAEA601FA.jpeg

BEDBEFE9-F383-4171-8EB4-1E2602472537.jpeg

F6682CF5-1C5E-4D34-B187-D37DA1EDCF8E.jpeg

25049D63-1CB1-430F-86A1-418E4819AC27.jpeg

CF7D41AC-5A77-4C2E-9B61-EB701ACA7740.jpeg

C671D822-146A-445F-A0FB-F14AC5DF92D7.jpeg

Edited by Lowcut
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I like how "pitching wedge" is written out. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Huh...I don't think I've ever seen white ferrules...

One of the problems with these heads is they vary from .560 to .562 in outside hozel diameter. Most modern ferrules run up to about .540. I found some that were black and plain that would have fit. But, That’s just not me lol... I found these in a .560 and the fit almost every iron perfect with a little finagle. Probabaly some of the best quality ferrules I’ve purchased TBH. What’s your opinion on them? like honestly? 

Edited by Lowcut

Great set of sticks. I almost bought a set of these a few years ago. Is it just me or does the blade shape change dramatically from 7 to 8?

1 hour ago, Lowcut said:

One of the problems with these heads is they vary from .560 to .562 in outside hozel diameter. Most modern ferrules run up to about .540. I found some that were black and plain that would have fit. But, That’s just not me lol... I found these in a .560 and the fit almost every iron perfect with a little finagle. Probabaly some of the best quality ferrules I’ve purchased TBH. What’s your opinion on them? like honestly? 

The white looks good, albeit a little understated for me. I would have gone with something bolder, but that's a personal preference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Great set of sticks. I almost bought a set of these a few years ago. Is it just me or does the blade shape change dramatically from 7 to 8?

The white looks good, albeit a little understated for me. I would have gone with something bolder, but that's a personal preference. 

I wanted to put these on the set. Unfortunately they max out at .540 diameter... bummer.

7-8 iron change completely, looks almost like a wedge. Nice to hear some other folks still think about gaming these lol. If you catch a wild hair. This set is available. Just looking to recoup shaft, grip and shipping cost and that’s it. 

29BD5A6C-86AF-4D11-9094-F69D9B5A4CF5.jpeg

4 hours ago, Lowcut said:

What’s your opinion on them? like honestly? 

I've gone back and looked at then several times now and the more I look the more they grow on me

👍

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

I love them.

I have a set of '79 Tour Blades, which is the edition immediately prior, in about the same condition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

A back corner of my man cave houses every non-broken golf club that I've owned since 1978.

Old shoes with steel spikes and shoe trees still in them.

Carry bags. Staff bags. Cart bags. No stand bags (never liked them).

Ancient Bag Boy pull (not push) cart.

Wound golf balls with yellowed balata covers.

Rock hard original Top Flites. (I wish Spalding was still in the golf business.)

Even some ancient 1.62" diameter balls my uncle brought me from Bermuda.

How do you guys sell these things?

I can't do it.

When I croak, and it can't be too long now, my family will have to find a way to get rid of this stuff.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 minutes ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

A back corner of my man cave houses every non-broken golf club that I've owned since 1978.

Old shoes with steel spikes and shoe trees still in them.

Carry bags. Staff bags. Cart bags. No stand bags (never liked them).

Ancient Bag Boy pull (not push) cart.

Wound golf balls with yellowed balata covers.

Rock hard original Top Flites. (I wish Spalding was still in the golf business.)

Even some ancient 1.62" diameter balls my uncle brought me from Bermuda.

How do you guys sell these things?

I can't do it.

When I croak, and it can't be too long now, my family will have to find a way to get rid of this stuff.

Well, I gamed these a little. And also some. X31 custom forged. Switched up and decided to reshaft and give another maybe a chance to become a great ball striker

Better than to wade through this stuff forever like I do, I suppose.

I loved the weaker lofts on those vintage clubs. I think it made it easier to configure a bag.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Just now, trombettista_vecchio said:

Better than to wade through this stuff forever like I do, I suppose.

I loved the weaker lofts on those vintage clubs. I think it made it easier to configure a bag.

I’m 100% in agreement on the gaps in the bag. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 12:52 PM, Lowcut said:

I wanted to put these on the set. Unfortunately they max out at .540 diameter... bummer.

7-8 iron change completely, looks almost like a wedge. Nice to hear some other folks still think about gaming these lol. If you catch a wild hair. This set is available. Just looking to recoup shaft, grip and shipping cost and that’s it. 

29BD5A6C-86AF-4D11-9094-F69D9B5A4CF5.jpeg

I shouldn’t even ask this, because I’m pretty sure my gf will kill me if I buy another set of old irons, but are these bad boys still available and if so, about how much was the shaft and gripping cost?

33 minutes ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

I shouldn’t even ask this, because I’m pretty sure my gf will kill me if I buy another set of old irons, but are these bad boys still available and if so, about how much was the shaft and gripping cost?

I could sell them delivered in lower 48 for $160. That’s basicay what I have into then. 

12 minutes ago, Lowcut said:

I could sell them delivered in lower 48 for $160. That’s basicay what I have into then. 

They look really nice and that seems pretty fair. My gf would beat me with them if I got them right now though. I’m going to have to hold off, but if they’re still around in a few months I might pull the trigger. Thanks for the info and the nice work

• 2 years later...

I found the same set with sand wedge included. 

The writing on both wedges have the writing stressed out due to use.

Not in as good a shape as yours but not bad for $10!.

Waiting for new brown grips to get the old look. 

Yep, a great, great set of clubs. I played these in college... and beyond. I still have them, stored in their original display box (the wide flat kind) along with the Tour Block woods. They're in great shape too, except for one club, I forget which one, where the chrome on the head has flaked off. I've been thinking about sending it off to get re-chromed but then I'd probably have to get the whole set done which would hardly pay and would probably diminish their value. I'm not even certain they have much value at this point.

I don't know how or why Wilson fell off the map for a good long time. They were one of the top brands in golf, maybe even #1.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!