IGNORED

Plane on a Conveyor Belt

iacas
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You guys who keep saying "No", listen carefully......I'll talk slow for you:

T h e .............. P l a n e .............. I S .............. M o v i n g ! ! ! ! !

If it were stationary the conveyer belt would be stationary too because the conveyer belt moves in the opposite direction the same speed as the airplane. However, when the thrust levers are pushed up on the airplane, the engines move the plane forward, the conveyer belt starts moving backwards and the wheels spin twice as fast. Eventually the plane gets enough forward speed to generate enough lift to fly.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a plane was held up by 2 wires from a crane and the engine/prop was turned on could it begin to fly? Is this the same type of situation as the conveyor belt or no?
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

If a plane was held up by 2 wires from a crane and the engine/prop was turned on could it begin to fly? Is this the same type of situation as the conveyor belt or no?

in this case, if i'm visualizing correctly what you are describing, the wires are holding the plane like a pendulum, the plane would fly in a circle as the wires would keep the plane tethered to the radius length of the wire, the crane might not be the best fixed point for if it was a big enough plane or jet, the crane's arm would get pulled away from its position as a fixed point of the radius and so included in this would be the understanding the crane's arm is fixed

not the same as a conveyor belt

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

You guys who keep saying "No", listen carefully......I'll talk slow for you:

if you were watching the plane from a distance and didn't see the conveyor belt, there would be no forward movement which would be needed to create lift. the only way that plane is taking off is if there is a hurricane blowing

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

if you were watching the plane from a distance and didn't see the conveyor belt, there would be no forward movement which would be needed to create lift. the only way that plane is taking off is if there is a hurricane blowing

Ganja, Please explain why you think there would be no forward movement.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

• Administrator
No!

The plane is moving forward. I guess you haven't read the several posts I've made about this?

T h e .............. P l a n e .............. I S .............. M o v i n g ! ! ! ! !

Yep.

Since so many people seem to be confused by the original question, let's stick to that instead of making up unclear variations.

Wrong. You didn't read my explanations (or those of others) either. The plane moves forward normally. To your observer, takeoff appears 100% normal (except the wheels spin 2x as fast, if they can see them).

Dudes, the thrust comes from the prop or jet engine, not the wheels. Thats why it moves in spite of the weird runway.

Exactly.

[joking]I'm going to start handing out negative reputation points for people who can't even bother to read before they respond. [/joking]

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

in this case, if i'm visualizing correctly what you are describing, the wires are holding the plane like a pendulum, the plane would fly in a circle as the wires would keep the plane tethered to the radius length of the wire, the crane might not be the best fixed point for if it was a big enough plane or jet, the crane's arm would get pulled away from its position as a fixed point of the radius and so included in this would be the understanding the crane's arm is fixed

I made this point because if the wheels don't matter then it would be the same as the original question if it were just "hovering" as if there was no gravity, so if it could take off on the conveyor belt I think it could do this too, but like iacas said I'm not gonna go into it b/c I still don't fully understand the original answer, maybe I'm dumb or maybe I'm thinking in a different mindset, but maybe one day planes will take off on conveyor belts at airports where the plane does not move forward a little bit on the conveyor belt, good day.

What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• Administrator
I made this point because if the wheels don't matter then it would be the same as the original question if it were just "hovering" as if there was no gravity, so if it could take off on the conveyor belt I think it could do this too, but like iacas said I'm not gonna go into it b/c I still don't fully understand the original answer, maybe I'm dumb or maybe I'm thinking in a different mindset, but maybe one day planes will take off on conveyor belts at airports where the plane does not move forward a little bit on the conveyor belt, good day.

The PLANE MOVES FORWARD NORMALLY. It doesn't stay still and then magically take off. It takes off normally. It moves forward, it reaches takeoff speed (if there's no wind, airspeed = groundspeed), and it takes off.

Since the conveyor belt is moving backwards, the only difference is that the wheels are spinning twice as fast as normal.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I understand that iacas, its just a far cry from normality that its crazy to see how it works, but I'm starting to turn around lol...those damn mythbusters causing craziness in my life.
What's In The Bag?

• Administrator
I understand that iacas, its just a far cry from normality that its crazy to see how it works, but I'm starting to turn around lol...those damn mythbusters causing craziness in my life.

I guess I just don't see it that way. I see it as normal, not a "far cry from it."

Here is the Answer:

agree, was wrong

I have avoided this thread because I thought it was about someone's cockamamie theory of a swing plane being like a conveyor belt. After a few days I broke down and opened the thread. I didn't realize how much fun you all were having.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

not really, the plane would only take off it it was a very long conveyor belt

now, as i understand it, because the wheels don't provide thrust but thrust is provided by the propellor, the plane would move forward as the conveyor would slide under the tire and the plane would still need the bernoulucci effect of the wings to give lift

• Administrator
not really, the plane would only take off it it was a very long conveyor belt

The plane takes off in the same length (as measured on the ground...) with the conveyor belt or not.

But I'm not sure if you were talking about the bizarre "on a crane" thing proposed or the original problem.

cool post. however, if the plane is a Northwest jet, it will never ever take off. NEveR EVER!!!!!!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

The plane takes off in the same length (as measured on the ground...) with the conveyor belt or not.

agree, just to be sure that conveyor belts will never replace runways

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!