IGNORED

How to clean a bag

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My buddy gave me a brand new bag since I was looking for one. He won it at a tournament but was sitting in his shed for years. It has a little stink to it like mice might of got into it. What’s the best way to clean a bag like that. Would I be able to sprinkle dawn dish soap all on it and soak it with the hose then let dry. Has anyone had to clean a bag like that. 

What material is it?  Leather, vinyl?  I'd let it sit in the direct sunlight for several hours before doing much of anything.   Maybe just a Clorox wipe or even just a cloth with a mixture of vinegar and water would be enough.   It's best to use too little chemical and have to reapply then to overdose and ruin the bag.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, clean it with gentle stuff and see how far you can get.

If needed, consider moving on to harsher stuff, but generally the gentle stuff will be okay.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Get caught, out on the course, in a couple torrential down pours.  Be careful not to prepare for such an eventuality: no rain covers, no plastic bags, no nothin'.  Mother Nature will do the rest.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

LMAO. At what point do you say, "Enough of this sh**. I'm going to go buy a new one?"

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I clean mine once a year, usually the end of October. Take everything out of it that was collected over the previous 12 months. 

I hang it upside down, and water spray off all interior pockets, and the exterior. Before it dries, I spray Lysol/pinesol, or something similar on the interior, and exterior. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then water hose it completely again. 

After it dries, I lube the zippers with vaseline, wipe the excess off,, and do any necessary repairs as needed. 

Those pull strings on the zippers, I replace with small with ties as needed. 

After that, it's good for another 12 months. There is also a 6 month check up. My TE staff bag is going on 12-13 (?) years. It's showing it's age, but then again, so am I.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

8 hours ago, Bungiex88 said:

This one is brand new still half wrapped in plastic never used. I’ll take 15 minutes out of my day to save $80 for not buying a brand new one. 

If the smell persists, spray some Febreze in it and on the surface. It won't harm the fabric and does a good job with odors. The fragrance will dissipate too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, Patch said:

It's showing it's age, but then again, so am I.

😂 Had same sun mountain bag since I started the game. The dividers no longer divide but its still the lightest and fastest drying bag I've encountered (the latter being of particular importance in my neck of the woods) and just can't part with it. Re OP, vinegar/water solution sounds like the best way of gently cleaning w/o damage. For the smell, some of those scented carpet cleaning granules, pour em in, leave em a while, empty/vacuum out and a light rub down with whatever afterwards. Years of dodgy rugby gear bags agree with this method!

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!