IGNORED

Yardage Gap Between Clubs

Alex37
Note: This thread is 2107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, 

I recently purchased a 15* 3 wood, 18* 5 wood, 19* 3 hybrid, and a 22* 4 hybrid. I carry my 3 wood roughly 240 and my 21.5* 5 iron roughly 200. From my understanding, a hybrid with the same loft as an iron typically goes 10-15 yards further. What yardage gap should I expect to see between these clubs? I plan on hitting them to compare distances but haven't found the time. 

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Alex37 said:

From my understanding, a hybrid with the same loft as an iron typically goes 10-15 yards further.

Not necessarily. People usually see those kinds of gains when they don't hit those irons well. My 22° 4h goes exactly as far as my 21.5° 4i should, but I hit the 4h better than the 4i so it goes farther. If I could hit my 4i I wouldn't need the 4h.

What yardage gap should I expect to see between these clubs?

Without knowing anything else about your game, it's hard to tell. You might not need three clubs between your 3w and your 5i.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi everyone, 

I recently purchased a 15* 3 wood, 18* 5 wood, 19* 3 hybrid, and a 22* 4 hybrid. I carry my 3 wood roughly 240 and my 21.5* 5 iron roughly 200. From my understanding, a hybrid with the same loft as an iron typically goes 10-15 yards further. What yardage gap should I expect to see between these clubs? I plan on hitting them to compare distances but haven't found the time. 

Thanks in advance!

To be of the most help, I imagine you’d want them spaced evenly.  So 210, 220, and 230.  But ...

25 minutes ago, billchao said:

You might not need three clubs between your 3w and your 5i.

I agree with this, especially considering you are a fairly long hitter.  

I doubt you’re going to have many shots of those distances.

Gaps depend on your upper end swing speed. My yardage gap is about 12 yards. Some might be 10 yards. 

That doesn't extend all the way up to driver. 

I don't care much about having clubs to fill in larger gaps at the top end because I hardly every hit those shots into greens. I have about a 40 yard gap between my 4 iron and my 3-wood. I have a hybrid that splits that gap. I use it more off the tee, or sometimes as a 2nd club into a par 5. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I don't care much about having clubs to fill in larger gaps at the top end because I hardly every hit those shots into greens. I have about a 40 yard gap between my 4 iron and my 3-wood. I have a hybrid that splits that gap. I use it more off the tee, or sometimes as a 2nd club into a par 5. 

My thoughts exactly. I'm more concerned about what the clubs can do for me at the upper end (ease of use, fade/draw bias, flight characteristics) than precise gapping. 

Distance for hybrid and equivalent iron is often more for the hybrid, with the difference being greater for slower swingers and higher cappers. I used to hit them a lot further than my low irons when I started as I was a slicer, and my hybrids (draw biased, like they all are) didn't. But I still hit them further now, as the long,light shafts on hybrids also allows me to swing them faster, with the extra yardage usually allowing me to carry the ball all the way into left side bushes. 

11 hours ago, billchao said:

Without knowing anything else about your game, it's hard to tell. You might not need three clubs between your 3w and your 5i.

To add to Bill's (correct, IMO) statement, I carry a 5-iron and a 4-wood;  in between those is my 3H.  I carry a 4H because I have a spare slot and it might go 5 yards past my 5I, and at some point when I want to add a different club, that 4H will likely be the first out of the bag.  

I carry a 4-wood because I hit it better than a 3-wood;  this was speculation on my part at some point in the past, but when I got fit for my 4-wood, we started with 3-woods and tried the 4-wood head and found I was hitting that further.  The effective loft of my 4W is 15.75 degrees, so it's closer to a 3-wood I suppose.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!