IGNORED

Just curious on your thoughts going from a 10.5 to 12 degree driver.

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always and only every used a 10.5. I've never been fitted for anything, I just buy off the shelf and go. 

My driver is old, like 9yrs old, TM Burner Draw. I hit it fairly good, of course I have plenty of slices and hooks since I'm not a good player. In fact I bought the draw variation years ago to fight the slice as much as I could. By my eye, I get a good launch trajectory with the 10.5 , and an average drive is 240-50.

Been debating a new driver for weeks, but I've bought so much new stuff already this year I kept telling myself no. Yesterday I was at Golf Galaxy and they had a TM M2 2017, 10.5* used. I grabbed it and hit a few balls in the hitting booth. I didn't get on the launch monitor but the ball was coming off the club very good, very straight, and I liked it. 

Of course that made me start looking around at used M2s online last night, since new is still $300. 

Found one, ordered, but it was a 12*, and also not the d type. I'd already read up on 12 VS 10.5 a while ago and most stuff l saw said 12*  generally gives you more control. 

How many others have gone from 10.5 to 12 with great results? 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At my driver fitting with Taylormade I was fit into the 12 degree M2 driver head since I had a downward angle of attack and needed extra loft to help improve launch conditions. 

Since that point, I have been working on a more level to slightly positive angle of attack and have since turned the driver down to either 10.5 or 11 degrees.

Trust me, its still more than possible to slice the heck out of the ball with the M2 at 12 degrees :-P

If you hit the ball lower than optimal with the 10.5, then the 12 degree will probably help you, but if the 10.5 already launches too high and spins up too much or balloons, then the 12 degree might hurt you more than it will help you. It really depends on your specific swing and current launch conditions

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

What  really a matters is finding the right shaft/loft combination that fits you to get you the best result.   The shaft makes a huge difference in launch angle, spin and distance as well; it's just as important a factor as the loft, maybe more so.  The shaft is critical....and I don't mean just "S", "R" "A" or "L" ...those are all subjective terms and differ between manufactures; weight, flex point/kick point, torque, shaft length and other shaft factors have a big effect too  I talked with a pro at a club where I play who's in the Golf Digest Top 100 teachers.  He said proper loft selection depends on the head profile, shaft, swing speed, swing profile, personal preference, desired trajectory  etc.  Generally speaking and all else being equal, he told me that higher lofts help with slower swing speeds and told me almost all his students overestimates their swing speed and distance.   He often ends up recommending his students go to a higher lofted driver fitted with a shaft appropriate for their swing, or just as often, changing to a different shaft on the same driver head.   The only way to find out what's best for you is to try different combos on a launch monitor or out on the course.  Better yet go to a good club fitter/club builder...money well spent and you'll learn a lot to help with future purchases.   I got fit for my driver and gained 15 yards with more consistency and tighter dispersion compared to my previous driver.  FYI, adjustable lofts are an option, I guess.  However, before going that route, I'd urge you to see a video made by Tom Wishon of Wishon Golf Technology.  He's a club maker and design guru and has written several books on club design and club making and is highly respected in the industry.  He's not a fan of adjustable loft technology and the video explains why.  Bottom Line:  Going to  a higher loft might make a difference, or maybe not.  Good Luck !!

on a 

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Scotty T has good comments.

You might want to just go get a driver fitting - the right shaft and then the right loft to get your best traj and spin rate.  I was surprised at my results, but ecstatic about the results.

Bill - 

I have two identical drivers, except one is a 10.5, and the other is a 12.0.  in all other aspects, they look the same. Even have the same shafts. These drivers are the higher profile, more rounded type drivers. 

I found that the 10.5 was maybe 5 (carry) yards longer, on average. This, in real time usage as measured by my Lazer, and GPS toys. 

I don't use either one, preferring to use my square, low profile, 10.5 driver. This driver is about 10 yards longer for me. Not sure, but I think I get a more balanced, faster swing with the square headed driver, which gives me the extra yards. It's lower profile makes it easier to swing. 

Another plus of the lower profile driver, is the very few times I might need to use it off the turf, I am usually some what successful with it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

There are a lot of variables with drivers and loft is just one. Shafts, as @ScottyT pointed out can make a difference. In addition to that the CG of the club has a big influence as well. Take the Taylormade SLDR from a few years back; with the CG so far forward, people had to "Loft Up" to get the proper trajectory.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Get fitted to match the launch angle to the spin profile that provides you with the most consistent distance and accuracy.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!