IGNORED

Snap Hooking Woods

Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So... I've been having this issue with my woods ONLY (Diver, 3 Wood and 2 Hybrid) where i have this horrible snap hook.  The ball doesn't get more than 15 feet of the ground and violently snaps right to left.  I guess I'm just looking for drills to help combat this I know on my driver I've been hitting the ball really low toe recently and I think I'm really getting outside to in with my longer clubs (I want to hit them further and just get excited and try to really crush them) but I'm just looking for some range drills to help combat this short of me just relaxing and slowing my swing down.

Thanks!!

Thomas

Driver: :tmade: M3 10*  3 Wood: :nike: Vapor Fly 12*  Hybrid: :tmade: P790 UDI 2 Iron  Irons: :titleist: 716 AP2 (4-PW)  Wedges: :vokey:  52*, 56*, 60* Putter: :tmade: TP Juno  Shoes: :nike: Lunar Command,  :adidas: 360 Traxion, :adidas: Tour Boost 360  Bag: :titleist: 2016 Lightweight Stand Bag

My advice...  Take up tennis. 

Seriously, this exact issue almost made me quit the game. I learned to play golf hitting in a style that used to be popular in the late 80's early 90's. I hit what people called a "power fade"... today we call it a "cut". Then in the late 90's everyone said "Oh, you have to hit a draw... You have to hit a draw...." So, I got with my pro and learned to hit a draw. I played a draw off the tee all the way up to about 2007. For almost 10 years I hit long powerful tee-shots with a draw. They were beautiful. 

THEN - I REMEMBER WHEN IT HAPPENED. 

First tee shot of a tournament in 2008. I snap hooked my drive. "Hmm... that's weird." "Oh well, probably won't happen again." But it did. I snap hooked every drive. The more I tried not to the more it happened. I staggered to 105 or something on the first day and basically put me in dead last in the tournament. Each day of the tournament the snap hook got worse and worse and worse. Irons were fine. Even the hybrid was fine. Driver and fairway woods were terrible. 

I ended up fighting this issue for the next 8-10 years. I nearly gave up the game a dozen times. The damned thing about it was that I could work on the range and "fix" it. But as soon as I stepped on the course it would be back. I tried all kinds of crazy 5hit to get rid of it. Nothing worked for me. I hesitate to tell you what finally worked for me, but just before deciding to quit the game I found the solution. Now, according to Arccos my driving is one of the strongest parts of my game. I'm back to playing a "power fade". According to Arccos I only average about 260 with the driver, but I hit almost 70% of the fairways with it. My short driver shots are now over 240. My long ones are over 280. Life is good again. But I literally lost 8 or more years of my golf life struggling with this issue. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said you want drills where you don't have to slow your driver down, but I found it helps me when I start having that problem to slow my swing down a bit.  😊

Also practicing half swings just opening the clubface and getting it back to address really helps train my hand movement.

• 4 weeks later...

When you hit a snap hook, look at the alignment of your club face right after your swing, it is most likely closed. Adjust your grip so the club face is vertical when you look it in front of you with your arms outstretched. At address the club face should appear to be open.

Hope this helps.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, Joel0485 said:

I know you said you want drills where you don't have to slow your driver down, but I found it helps me when I start having that problem to slow my swing down a bit.  😊

Also practicing half swings just opening the clubface and getting it back to address really helps train my hand movement.

Takes all kinds, I find that "slowing down" make my snap hooks worse. Because my brain tells me to TURN OVER NOW. As the OP mentioned, I "played a draw" that was beautiful to watch... Until it wasn't. Aimed further right... Fiddled with the head adjustments and weighting. opened the stance, tried to force an over the top out to in swing... Nothin'. Just frustration. I threw everything away, moved the club adjustments to neutral, then I double checked a video of my driver swing. My grip was stronger than dirt. My right thumb was nearly or totally parallel to the ground with the left hand over layed over that. there wasn't any CHANCE of a ball going straight or right. Since the hands naturally want to get back to neutral on the downswing, I went back to a neutral grip. ding, ding... Back to a straight or soft draw. If I need a bit of left to right, I open the stance a nudge and swing along that stance. It has taken awhile to get used to a new grip and the distance isn't all the way back, but they are in play for the most part.

Note: This thread is 2036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!