IGNORED

2019 FedExCup Playoff Changes

klineka
Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Potential New FedExCup Playoff System  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the FedExCup playoff system should be changed to the one highlighted in the article?

• Yes
    • No, leave the playoff system as it is
    • No, it shouldnt stay as it is, but it also shouldnt be the new system proposed

OH NO!!!!  Vijay won a single tournament but Berhard left with the cup......

Whatever shall they do?

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whatever they want to call this new final event, it is certainly not a tournament that is played under the Rules of Golf, as there is nothing allowing a handicapped event in which the better player is advantaged by the handicap.

This a truly horrible change, being made because the idea of there being 2 winners is just too complicated and inexplicable for the feeble minded to grasp.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

This a truly horrible change, being made because the idea of there being 2 winners is just too complicated and inexplicable for the feeble minded to grasp.  

Ohh, my mind is feeble and I get it.

And.....there are two events and EACH has ONE winner.....as it should be.  The gap in thinking is likely they don't treat as there are two events going on.  The inability to separate two things happening simultaneously is a bit simple minded - one would hope that simpleness translates in their life to an inability drive and text...

Bill - 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, turtleback said:

Whatever they want to call this new final event, it is certainly not a tournament that is played under the Rules of Golf, as there is nothing allowing a handicapped event in which the better player is advantaged by the handicap.

That is not entirely accurate. The rounds will be played under the Rules of Golf.

Why this continues to bother you I don’t know. Some people (not me) were bothered by the tournament winner also not being the FedExCup winner. The PGA Tour seems to think it’s confusing.

So it is what it is. Contrived? Sure. But it’s already a 30-man event where one player wins about $11M or so. I have a hard time caring too much about the particulars there. The FedExCup has given us somewhat meaningful golf after the top players had normally stopped playing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That is not entirely accurate. The rounds will be played under the Rules of Golf.

Why this continues to bother you I don’t know. Some people (not me) were bothered by the tournament winner also not being the FedExCup winner. The PGA Tour seems to think it’s confusing.

So it is what it is. Contrived? Sure. But it’s already a 30-man event where one player wins about $11M or so. I have a hard time caring too much about the particulars there. The FedExCup has given us somewhat meaningful golf after the top players had normally stopped playing.

I find I agree with this. If I ever wanted to see the winner of the tournament also be the FedExCup winner it would've been this year with Tiger. Obviously having Tiger do what he did brought me more excitement than usual. But like you said it's brought some meaningful golf for sure. I certainly enjoyed watching it all unfold more so than the Olympics by far.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 hours ago, iacas said:

I would have no trouble with any of it if they didn't count this as an official tour win.  No other tour win ever had these parameters.  The tournament counts are screwed up enough, with events counting for Snead that would never count for Tiger or Jack.  You may not care about that but I do.  And I've stated that numerous times, enough that your bafflement about why this bothers me is baffling.

As to the ROG, as you very well know they cover more than the rules applicable during the round - they include a lot that is external to the playing of the round.

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I find I agree with this. If I ever wanted to see the winner of the tournament also be the FedExCup winner it would've been this year with Tiger. Obviously having Tiger do what he did brought me more excitement than usual. But like you said it's brought some meaningful golf for sure. I certainly enjoyed watching it all unfold more so than the Olympics by far.

You can have meaningful golf, and we've been having it since the Cup came in, without this silliness about 2 winners being too confusing so let's introduce a Frankenstein of an event which combines the parts of a tournament with the parts of a Chase to come with a bastardized event.  And then count the 'winner' as having earned an official tour win even though someone else shot lower.

And, BTW, if the new system had been in place this year Tiger would have not won the Cup, he would have been robbed of his justly earned tournament victory.

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
1 minute ago, turtleback said:

I would have no trouble with any of it if they didn't count this as an official tour win.

I understand.

No other tour win ever had these parameters.

No, but they've had others. The two-man team stuff from the last few years counts as a win for both players.

You may not care about that but I do.  And I've stated that numerous times, enough that your bafflement about why this bothers me is baffling.

I'm not baffled. It just seems to me that you don't understand the PGA Tour's logic behind the change. I don't care enough about this to really even have an opinion. It just "is" to me.

I'll assume though that I'm misreading that, and you simply care a lot about it, and the issue is NOT that you don't understand the logic, it's that you hate the logic or at least the change resulting from their logic.

The Tour Championship has always been a little contrived. The 30 best players aren't necessarily there that year. In previous years some players skipped it, others would not qualify because they weren't PGA Tour members… or they joined the Tour late and didn't earn enough points or money… whatever. It's a 30-man field where sometimes about half the field is just going through the motions to collect their check. I don't think changing the scoring system is as big a deal as you. We disagree there. That's all.

6 minutes ago, turtleback said:

As to the ROG, as you very well know they cover more than the rules applicable during the round - they include a lot that is external to the playing of the round.

Please find the Rules of Golf or the Conditions of the Competition that say you cannot handicap players this way.

BTW I've seen tournaments conducted like this. They're rare, but I've seen them done.

Has the PGA Tour historically applied a handicap to tournaments? No. But they are now.

That's effectively all it is: giving different players a handicap. They've just applied them to all four rounds so they can give out partial strokes rather than handicapping each round by 1/4 the total handicap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Of course I understand their logic, but it is stupid logic to accommodate stupid people who can't wrap their heads around the idea of 2 people winning 2 different things.  But geez, even NASCAR fans can understand this.  TPTB are selling golf fans short if they think they are not as smart as NASCAR fans.

Rich - in name only

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lpga-announces-cme-group-tour-championship-overhaul-5-million-purse-points-system-scrapped

"The top 60 in points at the end of the regular season will qualify for the Tour Championship..........The points will be scrapped at The Tour Championship. The season finale will be played like a regular stroke-play event, with every player in the field eligible to win the $1.5 million first-place check. "

If the Fedex Cup guys REALLY wanted to simplify the event and pander to the weak minded fools.....this is how they should have done it.  Make a single tournament event of the best from the year.  And then let them all play for it.  (Which is really what I think the whiners thought it was in the first place)

If one wants to declare a 'season' best, then simply acknowledge the total points winner at a season's end banquet -

Spoiler

wait....doesn't that already happen?

2018-11-14 09_08_18-List of golf awards - Wikipedia.jpg

again - the women are smarter

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 1990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!