IGNORED

Clubs for the youngster, questions...

TN94z
Note: This thread is 1946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

So when jacob was younger, I bought his first set of clubs when he was 4. I didn't put a ton of thought in it, I just went by the sizing chart and got him something to swing and have fun. It was obvious he was a lefty. Now Emma has come along (now 3) and I wanted to ask when is the best time to actually buy that first set of clubs? Currently, she has a plastic set that she brings to the course to play with (although she spends most of her time building sand castles that I have to rake down...on EVERY hole with a bunker...haha), but they are right handed clubs and I'm thinking she will be a lefty as well. She writes "mostly" with her left hand. Do I worry about a dominate eye and use that to determine whether she should be taught righty or lefty?  I just want to make sure I put a little more thought into it this time around, if it warrants this much thought this early.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

So when jacob was younger, I bought his first set of clubs when he was 4. I didn't put a ton of thought in it, I just went by the sizing chart and got him something to swing and have fun. It was obvious he was a lefty. Now Emma has come along (now 3) and I wanted to ask when is the best time to actually buy that first set of clubs? Currently, she has a plastic set that she brings to the course to play with (although she spends most of her time building sand castles that I have to rake down...on EVERY hole with a bunker...haha), but they are right handed clubs and I'm thinking she will be a lefty as well. She writes "mostly" with her left hand. Do I worry about a dominate eye and use that to determine whether she should be taught righty or lefty?  I just want to make sure I put a little more thought into it this time around, if it warrants this much thought this early.

@iacas may have some advice. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

What direction does she swing her current plastic clubs? If she has a preference there that's probably a pretty good clue about which set would feel more natural for her. That said, at her age it would likely be easy for her to learn to play golf in either direction in the same way that Phil learned to play lefty from a young age (since it's the only way he ever played despite being right handed).

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

What direction does she swing her current plastic clubs? If she has a preference there that's probably a pretty good clue about which set would feel more natural for her.

I don't think that's actually a real thing. I don't think kids naturally "know" enough or have any instincts for which way to swing a club. They'll hit things forward, backward, reverse handed, etc.

I'd put her in righty clubs, particularly for a girl. As a woman she's going to have enough trouble finding women's clubs as she grows up and becomes an adult. No need to complicate that further by making her lefty too.

US Kids Golf is pretty good. Just take her in, see what size is slightly bigger than she is (kids can grip down for a year or so), and then get those. They also have a trade-in program, and you can buy individual clubs (like if you want to get the next largest driver), etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think that's actually a real thing. I don't think kids naturally "know" enough or have any instincts for which way to swing a club. They'll hit things forward, backward, reverse handed, etc.

I'd put her in righty clubs, particularly for a girl. As a woman she's going to have enough trouble finding women's clubs as she grows up and becomes an adult. No need to complicate that further by making her lefty too.

US Kids Golf is pretty good. Just take her in, see what size is slightly bigger than she is (kids can grip down for a year or so), and then get those. They also have a trade-in program, and you can buy individual clubs (like if you want to get the next largest driver), etc.

I agree with that. She swings her current clubs every which way to make contact. I was hoping you would say that about the right handed clubs. That is what I would prefer to get her and sometimes wish I had done that with Jacob as well. US Kids Golf was Jacob's first set and that's what I had planned on starting her with too. I want to make sure I send her down the absolute best path I can in regards to golf or any other sport she picks up. Right now she just goes out there and has fun. She probably doesn't hit 10 shots total, but I don't pressure her into trying. I want her to associate going to the golf course as being a fun trip so she will want to go back.

Bryan A

• 2 months later...

Dick's Sporting goods is having a good sale today. The clubs aren't US Kids, but they are a lot cheaper. They are the older top flites but only 89.00 with 25% off, I believe. My question is, she is about 42" tall and the sets are 45" and under, 46"-52", and then 52" and up. Would I be good getting the 46-52 set or should I go with the longer set so she can use them for a few years? I'm not sure at what point they might get too heavy for her?

Bryan A

On 11/26/2018 at 9:32 AM, TN94z said:

Dick's Sporting goods is having a good sale today. The clubs aren't US Kids, but they are a lot cheaper. They are the older top flites but only 89.00 with 25% off, I believe. My question is, she is about 42" tall and the sets are 45" and under, 46"-52", and then 52" and up. Would I be good getting the 46-52 set or should I go with the longer set so she can use them for a few years? I'm not sure at what point they might get too heavy for her?

From the numbers you quoted, I believe the 46"-52" is the "longer" set. She can grip down, at least for a little while. They'll last her till she 4'4". She's only 3'6" now. 

And i'd remind people that Phil is a "natural" righty who plays golf left handed. I suppose natural lefties can play golf right handed. I once read a story where Bubba Watson was on the practice tee hitting Driver. Joking with other guys on the range, he turned his Driver upside down, swung at it righty, and hit the ball 300 yards! 

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

From the numbers you quoted, I believe the 46"-52" is the "longer" set. She can grip down, at least for a little while. They'll last her till she 4'4". She's only 3'6" now. 

And i'd remind people that Phil is a "natural" righty who plays golf left handed. I suppose natural lefties can play golf right handed. I once read a story where Bubba Watson was on the practice tee hitting Driver. Joking with other guys on the range, he turned his Driver upside down, swung at it righty, and hit the ball 300 yards! 

That's what I was thinking.

Yeah, I know one Bubba story was there were no left handed drivers at the facility (it was a new release on a driver, can't remember which one), so he took the right handed one, turned it upside down and hit it 300. I think I remember him posting the video to his IG

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 1946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!