iacas

NFL 2018-19

94 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well if I have learned anything in 16 years of coaching football it's that you are going to get bad calls. I remember my first few years yelling at officials, ranting and raving about terrible calls. After that I learned that bad calls are just going to be part of the game.....sometimes you get a call and sometimes you don't. I can pretty much guarantee that if you ask any football coach about bad calls your gonna get the same answer..."you win some and lose some". Is it fair? No. But life isn't fair either. I don't think the Chiefs got robbed nearly as bad as the Saints. The Chiefs defense was garbage all season and it ended up biting them in the ass. The Saints call....was a game changer. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Officials should not have the ability to determine the fate of a team who rightfully earned their place in NFL championship history.”

Well, they didn't do that. It's not like they literally won and the referees did something that took it away. The guy didn't catch the game-winning TD as time expired and the refs ruled him OB when he was clearly in, or something.

But yeah, this shit gets silly, but that's why good refereeing is needed. People are tuning out the NFL. It all feels rigged, and people like to say rigged because at least that implies more than incompetence.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, they didn't do that. It's not like they literally won and the referees did something that took it away. The guy didn't catch the game-winning TD as time expired and the refs ruled him OB when he was clearly in, or something.

But yeah, this shit gets silly, but that's why good refereeing is needed. People are tuning out the NFL. It all feels rigged, and people like to say rigged because at least that implies more than incompetence.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

At the risk of getting political, it's an absolute joke that any of our federal legislators are wasting time on such things.

Agree.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:14 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Reviewing penalties would be a disaster and that would not have helped the N.O. Saints.  No penalty was called so there would be nothing to review.  Pass interference is much like holding by the offensive line.  Every play likely has some degree of interference and holding.  If there are reviews, every play has to be reviewed.

That was what I replied to some guy on another forum. Well, what about the holding penalty that wasn't called on the NO offensive lineman on that play? He said, "What holding call?" Exactly! Haven't you heard that an NFL ref could call holding on every offensive play if he wanted to?

I hope this idea of "retro" or "review" penalties gets snuffed out really quickly! How long do you want NFL games to take? 6 hours? Hell, I'm just glad they were finally able to figure out what a catch was! 

Back in the day of "completing the process" and "surviving the ground" watching an NFL game was becoming alarmingly close to watching a legal proceeding rather than an athletic contest!