IGNORED

Srixon 2018 Iron Lineup

billchao
Note: This thread is 2048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went to a Cleveland/Srixon demo day today and got to hit these. Came away really impressed with the entire lineup. Really gorgeous clubs.

The Z785 is their player's iron offering. It's a cavity-back club but with a lot of the mass behind the sweetspot kind of like the Mizuno SC18 or the Titleist AP2. Has a very clean look at address with not too much offset and the modern thin topline (if you've played real butter knives you know what I mean). Felt really good hitting it. It's slightly more forgiving than my MP4s but still demands a pretty good swing.

The Z585 is more of a player's game improvement club. Cavity-back with an undercut channel behind the perimeter of the face to allow for more aggressive weight distribution and face flex. I was really impressed with these irons. Looked very similar to the Z785s at address. If I was handed the club blind, I wouldn't be able to pick out which was which. These were really easy to hit and definitely more forgiving than the Z785s. Good shots with both sets were about the same, but the mishits with the Z585s launched higher and carried farther than the Z785s so I lost less distance. Feel was a little more hollow, but that's to be expected from this type of clubhead. Feedback was still good though and I could tell when I toed it. No issues working the flight with these irons, either. High, low, draw, fade. No problem at all.

Both sets of irons come with their Tour VT Sole which is a V-sole that gives the irons more bounce. I didn't get to hit them off the turf, unfortunately, but I liked the idea of them and it's safe to assume that it would help me. If I was going to get a set, I'd probably do a combo of the two, going Z585 5-7 and Z785 8-PW.

The U85 driving irons also really impressed me. They're a little clunky looking, but only because it looks like a fat iron. It has a much smaller head than a hybrid. I've been struggling with my hybrids lately, but even before that I had a tendency to hook them, so I hit the U85 2i and the new H85 2h side by side to compare. I still hooked the crap out of the hybrid, but the driving iron was much better for me. I also compared the U85 4i with the Z585 4i and the U85 was much easier to launch in the air and more forgiving.

I gave the new drivers a look, too, since the rep said they're much improved this year. I told him my driver swing is all out of whack and I hit them like crap so I didn't get a good assessment on them. I also hit the Cleveland CBX and RTX wedges in the 50° and 54°. Didn't like the CBX at all and hit the ball way too high on full swings with it. I didn't think I needed a cavity back wedge and I was right.

I wasn't looking to buy new irons but these would be at the top of my list. I liked the way they looked before I tried them and now I really like the way they hit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was staffed with Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO last year and I will be with them again, most likely, for the next couple years. 

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

The Z785 is their player's iron offering.

Their players MB iron will be coming out in February I believe.  I plan to wait 'til then to update my gear.  I'm really looking forward to the driver.  They finally put on the thinner face and took off the weird grooves from the face to make it look nice. They also can come with the hand-woven hazard shafts instead of mass produced ones, which is cool!

40 minutes ago, billchao said:

I've been struggling with my hybrids lately, but even before that I had a tendency to hook them, so I hit the U85 2i and the new H85 2h side by side to compare. I still hooked the crap out of the hybrid, but the driving iron was much better for me. I also compared the U85 4i with the Z585 4i and the U85 was much easier to launch in the air and more forgiving.

I'm in the same boat with my hybrid, just hooking it.  I plan on going with the U85 2 iron.  I guess it's been a big hit on tour?

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

58 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Their players MB iron will be coming out in February I believe.

The rep didn't mention that, not that I asked or anything.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

I'm really looking forward to the driver.  They finally put on the thinner face and took off the weird grooves from the face to make it look nice. They also can come with the hand-woven hazard shafts instead of mass produced ones, which is cool!

Yea I'm kind of disappointed that I jacked up my driver swing because I couldn't give them a fair shake.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

I'm in the same boat with my hybrid, just hooking it.  I plan on going with the U85 2 iron.  I guess it's been a big hit on tour?

That's what the rep said. I launched the 2i a little low, but everything would have been in the fairway with plenty of run. It would be perfectly playable from the tee but I couldn't hold a green with it, not unless I improve some more. You shouldn't have that problem.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Went to a Cleveland/Srixon demo day today and got to hit these. Came away really impressed with the entire lineup. Really gorgeous clubs.

The Z785 is their player's iron offering. It's a cavity-back club but with a lot of the mass behind the sweetspot kind of like the Mizuno SC18 or the Titleist AP2. Has a very clean look at address with not too much offset and the modern thin topline (if you've played real butter knives you know what I mean). Felt really good hitting it. It's slightly more forgiving than my MP4s but still demands a pretty good swing.

The Z585 is more of a player's game improvement club. Cavity-back with an undercut channel behind the perimeter of the face to allow for more aggressive weight distribution and face flex. I was really impressed with these irons. Looked very similar to the Z785s at address. If I was handed the club blind, I wouldn't be able to pick out which was which. These were really easy to hit and definitely more forgiving than the Z785s. Good shots with both sets were about the same, but the mishits with the Z585s launched higher and carried farther than the Z785s so I lost less distance. Feel was a little more hollow, but that's to be expected from this type of clubhead. Feedback was still good though and I could tell when I toed it. No issues working the flight with these irons, either. High, low, draw, fade. No problem at all.

Both sets of irons come with their Tour VT Sole which is a V-sole that gives the irons more bounce. I didn't get to hit them off the turf, unfortunately, but I liked the idea of them and it's safe to assume that it would help me. If I was going to get a set, I'd probably do a combo of the two, going Z585 5-7 and Z785 8-PW.

The U85 driving irons also really impressed me. They're a little clunky looking, but only because it looks like a fat iron. It has a much smaller head than a hybrid. I've been struggling with my hybrids lately, but even before that I had a tendency to hook them, so I hit the U85 2i and the new H85 2h side by side to compare. I still hooked the crap out of the hybrid, but the driving iron was much better for me. I also compared the U85 4i with the Z585 4i and the U85 was much easier to launch in the air and more forgiving.

I gave the new drivers a look, too, since the rep said they're much improved this year. I told him my driver swing is all out of whack and I hit them like crap so I didn't get a good assessment on them. I also hit the Cleveland CBX and RTX wedges in the 50° and 54°. Didn't like the CBX at all and hit the ball way too high on full swings with it. I didn't think I needed a cavity back wedge and I was right.

I wasn't looking to buy new irons but these would be at the top of my list. I liked the way they looked before I tried them and now I really like the way they hit.

That’s cool Bill thanks. I have a combo set of Srixon z765 7-P and z565 4-6. I love those irons. Saw the z785 and thought they looked awesome. I was actually considering those but went with the Ping i500’s. I think Srixon really makes some beautiful irons for sure.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!