IGNORED

My Swing (Slim_Pivot)

Slim_Pivot
Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, iacas said:

To clarify… that's what you're doing here. That's not a new thing, just the same thing.

Yep. Just working on getting more. And that’s good. I’d prefer to be on the same page, wasting time is not fun

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is from my practice today. The only things I worried about were left arm depth at A-5 and swinging out to the right. Swings from beginning, middle, end of session.

I feel maxed out on what I’m trying to do. So if it’s not right, I need to go about it a different way. (As in giving my body different commands). My backswing looks gross to me, but I’m not focusing on that currently.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

You’re doing better.

So long as you have those wrist conditions, it’s going to be weird.

@mvmac… can you weigh in?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, iacas said:

You’re doing better.

So long as you have those wrist conditions, it’s going to be weird.

@mvmac… can you weigh in?

@Slim_Pivot, the sweetspot travel on the downswing is so much better and 7 dtl looks really solid.

One thing that stands out to me are the wrist conditions on the downswing. You tend to get the left wrist very cupped at the top and it retains too much "cup" (wrist extension) on the downswing. With the grip changes and left arm depth feels on the downswing I would add more "Dustin Johnson" left wrist on the rehearsals. Feel like the wrist is bowed, going to make it easier to smash the ball.

slim pivot 2.jpg

Tommy Fleetwood, notice how it's flat in transition and then there is a little bow or arch to the left wrist (wrist flexion).Slim Pivot 3.jpg

What it's going to feel like. 

Slim pivot 4.jpg

@iacas can verify the importance of this next bit since he's seen you in person.

One other thing I noticed is how the head starts to rise on the backswing, it's good to 3, then starts to stand up a bit to 4. This could mean you stop rotating and add too much torso extension. Just keep feeling that left shoulder work down and across the entire backswing, right hip keeps moving back and around.

slim pivot 1.jpg

Green hip lines in the right pic drawn at address.

slim pivot 5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Yeah, @mvmac, way to ruin the surprise of what was always going to be the next piece. I even told him we'd be doing wrist stuff next… but didn't tell him anything specific because I wanted him to work on the two things I gave him. Spoiler alert! 😄

But yeah, @Slim_Pivot, the head lifting stuff is something to tweak before your next lesson. 🙂

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas @mvmac Thanks guys, and I had a feeling bowing in the downswing was the wrist thing, but I’ve never done that before and left it alone like I was told. I’ll work on getting my backswing and lifting better before Saturday (without losing my depth in transition). Thanks again!

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

@iacas @mvmac Thanks guys, and I had a feeling bowing in the downswing was the wrist thing, but I’ve never done that before and left it alone like I was told. I’ll work on getting my backswing and lifting better before Saturday (without losing my depth in transition). Thanks again!

Good. But yeah, that wrist thing was the thing I wasn't going to tell you yet. 🙂

13 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Part of being a stupid monkey is not thinking ahead too much or trying out other tips until you are ready. Focus on the priority piece. I read all of the advice Erik and Mike give to others, but then I go back and review my latest lesson and work on that because it is unique to my progress.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

54 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Part of being a stupid monkey is not thinking ahead too much or trying out other tips until you are ready. Focus on the priority piece. I read all of the advice Erik and Mike give to others, but then I go back and review my latest lesson and work on that because it is unique to my progress.

🐵 is accurate, cuz that’s what I felt like.  I was doing my drill over and over while a little girl was hitting real shots in the adjacent bay. 

Just so there’s no confusion; when I said, “I left it alone like I was told”. I was told I wasn’t ready for it, so I didn’t do it or worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posting photos from my lesson today. Worked on bowing my wrist in transition and throughout the downswing. My biggest goal is to bow  the wrist in transition while maintaining my lead arm depth. 

The second thing we worked on was the club not working left through impact, wrists not breaking down, maintaining bowed wrist through impact.

D9EF91E7-4437-46A7-9DBF-0A77B3BF42BD.png

FFA64983-B84C-4AF1-ABF1-0B962E2E352F.png

8BB72F85-A09F-484A-917F-69FAD8DD67F6.png

D55FAAF3-5FA2-4B94-A70A-487622D9B237.png

37AA199C-1311-46F7-80CB-6307D6847E5E.png

62287D73-E4F4-4A46-9ED1-E5D928FB9547.png

261A1FD0-EE11-4E26-839A-1FEDA33E586C.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a practice session today. It was not a success. I had a hard time maintaining my lead arm depth in the downswing and I don’t know if I had enough bowing of my wrist throughout the downswing...but I doubt it. I have one source of confusion, and that is, “what is success in the follow through?”

That being said, this was my first session since my lesson. I will do my slow motion work this week and have another session on Wed or Thurs.

Vids are earliest to latest in session.

• Administrator

I don't think those are as bad as you seem to think.

You did the "pieces" about 50% as much as you want. You will want to do them quite a bit more. Those swings appear to be a bit too close to the "eventual full swing" motion, and not the exaggerated stuff we're looking for at this stage.

You were probably swinging a bit too fast, too. Grip a bit more in the fingers, and really arch that wrist and maintain that arch throughout the hole downswing.

The follow through should stop at belt high (chest high maybe). No need to have the full follow-throughs. You're just going to hinge too quickly and cup the left wrist too quickly and some other things, for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

During my session today, my main focus was bowing my wrist thoughout the downswing and through-swing. Secondary focus was remaining deep in transition. 3 videos from beginning middle and end of session respectfully.

One of my first swings of the session:

Pause at the top drill to make sure I was staying deep in transition. 

Finally, a swing without a pause where I bow throughout the through-swing while keeping depth in transition. I check my wrist angle after the swing has completed. 

I believe this session was successful. I had some trouble making contact at times and hit some fat shots...not a concern now, just a note.

• Administrator

Looks good.

01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Full swing looks a lot better, sweet spot travel is completely different.

Also kudos for trusting to the process.

• Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Full swing looks a lot better, sweet spot travel is completely different.

Also kudos for trusting to the process.

Thanks! Its nice to get instruction in the right order; but it’s really the constant feedback that sets you guys apart. Finding good instruction is a lot harder than it should be. Im lucky I found this site

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Changes look awesome @Slim_Pivot. Keep up the great work!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 1 month later...

Got back into the swing of things the last 10 days-beginning my swing drills in front of the mirror etc. finally got to the indoor range. Forgive the angle, there are railings in the way for my tripod thing, so this angle was as good as I could get. 

Overall...ok. Struggled with contact especially fat shots. Also if I try to swing more in to out, it shanks. Couldn’t get any face on due to the range set up.

On a brighter note, it seems the changes I made have stuck after the off-season.

Note: This thread is 778 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!