IGNORED

Community Project - Swing Ranges from A1-A10 from Two Views

iacas
Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Here's something I'd like to propose as a little bit of a community project. I can do it on my own, but I think some of you might enjoy helping out here.

What I'd like to do is build a series of handouts comprised of still frames from video of player swings at A1 through A10 from Face On and Down the Line. The eight photos on each page (four FO, four DL) will show a range of the "positions" at A1, A2, A3… etc. so that students can see whether their swing is "within a reasonably wide range." For example, the A4 position will ideally show players with higher planes and lower planes, a lot of hip turn, and a bit less hip turn. Shafts slightly laid off, or shafts across the line… etc.

The top and bottom photos don't even need to be the same player. From face-on Steve Stricker and Sergio Garcia might be decent examples at A5… but they aren't necessarily all that different or useful from down the line.

I'd like a lot of people here to contribute, by posting photos from the video of player swings (or finding good videos on YouTube or elsewhere) that have a pretty good range.

Some bullet points:

• Use PGA Tour and LPGA Tour players or other high-level players (college kids, former Tour players, etc.).
  • Use HD or other high quality video where possible. Don't crop it - I'll crop to the right size(s).
  • Camera angles should be good. They don't have to be perfect, but close.
  • Make sure there aren't any things overlaying the video, like a playhead, rew/ffwd controls, or advertising. No lines or circles highlighting anything specific, either.
  • We don't need the most extreme examples. If the pro swings are on the bell curve, the middle 80-90% is fine. We don't need some extreme examples like Eamonn Darcy. Think broad without being so broad you end up including everyone.
  • (I'll add more if I think of them…)

I'd like to thank you all ahead of time.

When the project is done, I'll share the pages I create as a series of PDFs. I plan to point out the ranges and the slight differences in the golfers shown - for example, at A3 perhaps, the variations in the shoulder turning rates, the variations in the amount of trail knee extension, the hinging rates, the amount of movement away from the target… etc.

Make sense?

You can help by posting high quality/resolution still frames (or embedding YouTube videos where I can get those high quality stills) of players you think demonstrate a good "range" at a particular position (A1, A4, whatever…).

I'll choose the three best contributors and send them an autographed hardcover copy of Lowest Score Wins, and the next two an autographed paperback.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic

OK...I'll try to get this moving...

Zach Johnson at A2:

image.png

Jim Furyk at A2:

image.png

Is that kinda what you're looking for?  (Although not sure Zach Johnson is the best example at A2...)?  Just trying to get things started...

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

• Administrator

Yes, like that… but two notes:

• please don't crop the images
  • hopefully we can find some higher quality images

Furyk I'll probably use a bit more for A4 DL. Maybe A6 DL.

But yes, stuff like that, and good start.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Thanks Mike. What positions do you think are good for each? JT at A5 or A4 DL? Both?

I have a ton of videos downloaded, but a lot of them are swings on the course, or with overlays, or dodgy resolution/angles, it's amazing how many I filtered out. Is this sharp enough? I have lots of amateurs downloaded, kids looking to get into a college/uni program, that sort of thing. They're more likely to not have anything extraneous.

As Azinger would say, Chuckie Three Sticks

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.01.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.48.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.03.34 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Probably, yes, @nevets88. The resolution doesn't have to be great, because ultimately they'll go into a 2 x 3.5 little box. At 300 DPI that's only 600 pixels wide by about a thousand tall. At 150 DPI, 300 x 525.

BTW the sheets I plan to put them in look like this:

Screen%252520Shot%2525202018-10-27%25252

The rectangles are actually 2.5 x 3, not 2 x 3.5. So anything between about 150 and 300 DPI is 375 x 450 and 750 x 900.

Great, here are the rest. Sometimes I'm torn between picking one of two frames for a certain position. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.51.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.52.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.53.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.53.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.54.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 2.54.45 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

I'm thinking right now it may be even easier if we just post the URLs to videos (if they're available publicly), because then I'm just creating my own source images and I can crop those all later.

I just started, but basically:

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 3.04.04 PM.png

Each folder just has A1-A10. I won't use all of the same. I might, for example, use Justin Thomas A5 DL only. But they're there if needed, and we can continue to work on refining which goes into which image.

• Administrator

If anyone wants… I could just give you access to my Dropbox Folder for this project.

Just PM me with the email address you use for Dropbox.

Steve

• Administrator

Here's my first take on A1:

A1.jpg

Keegan: a lot of knee flex.
Furyk: low handle.
Hunter: standing relatively tall.
Rose: middle ground.

Rose might be replaceable, because he's pretty "standard," but meh.

Dufner: handle back.
O'Hair: weight back a bit.
Tiger: Pretty standard, feet flared.
Stenson: upper body tipped back.

I might like a little more variety here, in the FO view.

I'll probably also re-write commonality #1 to say weight relatively centered instead. The 60/40 could be either direction.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Thanks Mike. What positions do you think are good for each? JT at A5 or A4 DL? Both?

For Cameron Champ, mostly any of the A1-4 positions. 

For Tiger, anyone position.

Bubba, A3/A4 caddy or dtl

JT, yeah A4 or 5 dtl

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Not Charles, it's Tyler Gulliksen from USD golf.

8 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Think that's Patrick Rodgers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

I think what might work better is for me to post pictures of the sheets as I do them, and then see if anyone has anyone they'd swap out in any of the eight positions.

Here's A1 (notes on why I chose each are at the bottom of the original post):

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Here's my first take on A1:

A1.jpg

• Administrator

Here's what I have for A2:

A2.jpg

Again happy to hear:

• Candidates for replacement.
  • Suggested changes to the wording.

Tommy Fleetwood.. Honestly not sure which would be best to pick from. I love his width at A3 while staying centered and aggressive DS.

Vishal S.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Tommy Fleetwood.

For which spot? I've changed up what I'm doing here.

Note: This thread is 1964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!