IGNORED

Changed My Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the past few years I have been playing with the Callaway SuperSoft.  I like the ball, hit it okay, and don't have any issues around the green with it...but, my game has virtually been the same for 3 years...(I know, it is not the ball it is me) so I decided to try a new ball.  I have played my 3rd round with the Titleist Velocity and not much has changed score wise, but here is what I have learned about the Velocity....Seems to be pretty straight and at least as long as the SuperSoft.  Ball flight off the driver is not bad, just a tad bit higher but roll out is good.  Ball flight off the longer irons is a tad bit higher.  The ball feels pretty good, but a bit firmer than the SuperSoft, especially off the short irons and the putter.  Price point is virtually the same.  I will likely continue to play with the Velocity and wonder if any of you have played the Velocity and have any opinions on it....

I bought a 15 count box a while back.  They seem fine to me.  At present I'm using a Wilson Smart Core...which makes some odd decisions from time to time...but is, overall, a pretty good ball.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, Osnola said:

(I know, it is not the ball it is me)

Yep. It is you.

I'm also a 20 handicap and I've played all sorts of balls over the years including the SuperSoft and the Velocity. The feel to the SuperSoft seems a bit more pleasing to me, but the performance difference is really just the vagaries of the particular round. I'll go with what's cheaper.

Hell, I shot my best round in a couple of months earlier this week with a Top Flite that I just happened to pull out of my bag.

If you're confident in the equipment, you'll be more likely to play well because it's not some doubt in the back of your mind.

Both the Velocity and the Supersoft are aimed at higher handicap golfers and are designed for lower overall spin to help golfers hit it straight. The Supersoft does appear to have lower compression than the Velocity, which contributes to the feel and potentially a small increase in spin rate.

I switched to the Titelist AVX this year from the Pro V1X. With all the science coming out about low spin, etc, I decided to try it. Spins less around the green than the other Pro V’s, but it was wet ALL year, so I’m anxious to reassess on firm and fast. All other things being equal, my mid/long irons went farther (7-12 yards). This was great for me because my longer irons wouldn’t go as far as they should at times. So I stuck with it. No complaints

I wouldn’t mind trying Bridgestone sometime also...if anyone tried Bridgestone let me know.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Osnola said:

Over paying for AVX or Velocity?

Both. 🙂

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 3:29 PM, Osnola said:

For the past few years I have been playing with the Callaway SuperSoft.  I like the ball, hit it okay, and don't have any issues around the green with it...but, my game has virtually been the same for 3 years...(I know, it is not the ball it is me) so I decided to try a new ball.  I have played my 3rd round with the Titleist Velocity and not much has changed score wise, but here is what I have learned about the Velocity....Seems to be pretty straight and at least as long as the SuperSoft.  Ball flight off the driver is not bad, just a tad bit higher but roll out is good.  Ball flight off the longer irons is a tad bit higher.  The ball feels pretty good, but a bit firmer than the SuperSoft, especially off the short irons and the putter.  Price point is virtually the same.  I will likely continue to play with the Velocity and wonder if any of you have played the Velocity and have any opinions on it....

The Velocity is a nice ball and it comes in yellow and orange. You do have to consider that it will roll out on the greens compared to a urethane premium ball. Comparing them to supersoft is fair as far as they are both distance and straight balls. However, the Velocity is much firmer. So, it comes down to what feels best. Both balls run like rats on the green in the summer time. 

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Note: This thread is 1980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!