IGNORED

Falling forward into the shot and getting the heel shot

Todd1902
Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

help!

I am struggling with the heel shot and the dreaded “shanks”. When I was playing good golf a few months back (coming back from a long lay off) I found that I was not falling into the shot at impact but that has come back. I don’t seem to know what my feet should be doing at set up and takeaway eg in the toes, balls or heels throughout. 

I want to be able to obviously hit centre but even out of the toe I would happily take and be able to work back from that. 

Any advice on how to achieve this? 

Edited by Todd1902

2 minutes ago, Todd1902 said:

I found that I was not falling into the shot at impact

I'm not sure what you are saying?   

Check out TST Instructional content

Start a member swing, you'll get some great free advice from some experts.  Member swings

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Your balance may be off.

I'd check to see where you're setting up, as your body will often re-balance during the backswing, and if that creates momentum, you might fall that way during the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, Todd1902 said:

help!

I am struggling with the heel shot and the dreaded “shanks”. When I was playing good golf a few months back (coming back from a long lay off) I found that I was not falling into the shot at impact but that has come back. I don’t seem to know what my feet should be doing at set up and takeaway eg in the toes, balls or heels throughout. 

I want to be able to obviously hit centre but even out of the toe I would happily take and be able to work back from that. 

Any advice on how to achieve this? 

Set up with your tailbone just touching the back of a chair/golf bag. Feel your trail hip gently touch the chair on your backswing then your lead hip touch on the downswing. However during this you should feel your backside in contact with the chair and never separating from it. 

Im the shank master in the golf world. I’ve been inflicted with them since 1991. Just for quick relief and to get my groove back I place a 2X4 just on the far side of the golf ball to where at setup the toe of my club touches the board. That way if i approach the ball with a heel/shank I plow into the board. I really don’t want to hit that board so it forces me to keep the club from moving outward. 

@dennyjones mentioned good advice. Seeing your swing is really the only way to properly diagnose the main issue/s.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Im the shank master in the golf world. I’ve been inflicted with them since 1991. Just for quick relief and to get my groove back I place a 2X4 just on the far side of the golf ball to where at setup the toe of my club touches the board. That way if i approach the ball with a heel/shank I plow into the board. I really don’t want to hit that board so it forces me to keep the club from moving outward. 

My instructor had me buy a yoga block, about $10 and if you hit it, there is no damage to your club.    It has helped tremendously to fix my swing path.   A cardboard box will work also.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

My instructor had me buy a yoga block, about $10 and if you hit it, there is no damage to your club.    It has helped tremendously to fix my swing path.   A cardboard box will work also.

Yeah that’s good for sure. Problem for me was I was so bad and engrained to shank I needed an actual ‘fear factor’ for it to work for me. I didn’t have any worries other than ‘aw shucks’ if I saw a foam block or head cover.   But a solid piece of wood and I’m damned focused! 

I was swinging poorly during a round..even with my driver. The tee markers were those solid concrete gear looking pyramids..so I started putting my ball just inside it. My uncle was like, ‘Damn Vinsk....aren’t you worried you’ll smash your driver to pieces?’ Of course I said ‘absolutely...that’s why I’m striping these damn drives now.’ Crazy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

When I shank a shot, it's usually because my club head is coming into the ball at too sharp of an inside angle.

I usually shank wedges when I do shank. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

My uncle was like, ‘Damn Vinsk....aren’t you worried you’ll smash your driver to pieces?’ Of course I said ‘absolutely...that’s why I’m striping these damn drives now.’ Crazy.

I’m more worried about hurting my wrists/hands than my clubs, but I have done the same dang thing before. 

Note: This thread is 2010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!