IGNORED

High handicapper club suggestions

Note: This thread is 1940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm what I guess you would call an average, weekend golfer. I shoot around low to mid 90's. I've been thinking about getting some new irons (my current irons are cheap box wilson's lol). Considering the reviews I'm trying to decide between a set of Callaway Diablo Edge and Taylormade Rocketbladez. Both seem to have very good reviews for game improvement. Any suggestions?

Welcome to The Sand Trap. The best advice we can give is for you to hit both club types and see what you like better. Club selection is very personal. Most OEM brand products are good quality, so it comes down to how they look, feel and perform for you.

I would suggest going to a local golf store and see if they have used irons to try out. Spend some time getting a good feel for them. Don't buy right away.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Welcome to The Sand Trap. The best advice we can give is for you to hit both club types and see what you like better. Club selection is very personal. Most OEM brand products are good quality, so it comes down to how they look, feel and perform for you.

I would suggest going to a local golf store and see if they have used irons to try out. Spend some time getting a good feel for them. Don't buy right away.

+1-I can't add to this advice.

I will say that I love my AP1s, but again this is a very personal decision. Try several-get fitted if  possible, and get what YOU like.

• Like 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I wouldn't mind trying out both. It would probably be tough to get my hands on both just because they are older clubs. I usually hit my irons decently straight. My only concern is getting a little forgiveness for that occasional fat shot. My main reason to go used instead of new is because I don't play enough to justify a big purchase, plus my 2 year old and newborn have me at baller on a budget situation lol.

I'm always the odd man out in these discussions.   First thing is that the iron sets you're talking about are both several years old, so getting a fitting is NOT an option.   Either of those sets will be dramatically better than the clubs you're playing now.    Don't sweat it - can't go wrong either way at this stage of your game.    I would focus on the irons you really like the way they look at address - nothing worse than getting new clubs that every time you look down at them, you wish you got something else.   Caveat ... assuming you're standard height, between 5'9" and 6'2" - standard length would be fine.   If you're shorter or taller, you really might need to have the clubs shortened or lengthened to fit your stature.    Also, take note of the flex ... most men I know seem to feel the need to get stiff flex ... unless you have a high swing speed, regular flex may fit you better.      Otherwise, get some new clubs and enjoy them - you'll be glad you did.    In a few years when you get your hcp down, then worry about dropping some major $ on primo clubs that come with a fitting.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I will second @inthehole on this one.  What really matters is whether you like looking at your clubs or not.  I don't care how well I hit some goofy looking monstrosity...it's a goofy looking monstrosity.  You have to like your tools...

• Like 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!