IGNORED

Greetings from SoCal

Chasing_Bogeys
Note: This thread is 1925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello and thanks for allowing me to join the community. 

I live in the greater Los Angeles area (La Crescenta if you know LA well, Pasadena is pretty close if you don't). I've "played" golf for 25 years but never really tried to get better until last year... that went ok - my banana slice became a mild to moderate right turn with occasional rounds of a fade. I've taken a few lessons, the first couple the instructor just tried to help me hide my slice. The last lesson the instructor broke down my swing and is teaching me how to properly hit a golf ball. I hit a bucket last night (yep, Jan 1 in SoCal I could hit a bucket at sunset) and it didn't go particularly well. My right shoulder LOVES to come out at the start of my downswing... anyhow, it wasn't good. I got home and my wife asked "why do you claim to like golf so much if you get so frustrated?" GREAT question... 

1 - I LOVE being on a golf course. I love that, usually, I can turn off the rest of the world, hang out with a friend or 3 (or sometimes complete strangers) and just think about nothing but the next shot (or the next beer depending on how things are going and who the friends are). Most courses have at least one fantastic view that is just amazing.

2 - I LOVE the challenge of golf. I'm an athlete. I LOVE competition. I played baseball until I couldn't catch up with the fastball. I learned to play hockey in college and played it (at very very low levels) until a few years ago when my knees started giving me trouble on the ice. So I'm running out of competitive options and golf provides that. 

3 - Yes, the combo of 1 and 2 mean that I'm going to be frustrated from time to time, but it's frustrated with me. No blame on anything but my inability to solve the puzzle.

So, in 2019 I'm going to dedicate myself to learning how to play golf! I'll be taking more lessons. Practicing regularly. Reading as much as I can to get tips on how to improve (currently reading Lowest Score Wins which is what brought me here).

Personal stuff.... I married WAY over my head 20 years ago and try to keep her from figuring out how much better she could have done. I have two amazing kids (14 and 12). I work as a food safety professional - I make sure that your food doesn't kill you. I'm from SoCal but have lived in NoCal, Kansas, and upstate NY.

If you're headed out for a Saturday round in LA, OC, or IE and need someone to play with, drop me a note.

~Andy

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST.  You've got some great golf courses in your area.  I'm also happy to hear there's someone who might be my neighbor who makes sure my food doesn't kill me :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Welcome!

Join Brookside, players club, it’s pretty close to you.

PM me if you want to play a round some time...😊

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Welcome. If you haven't already, take a look at SOCAL Club for an area specific forum and event planning. I am a little South of you and don't really get to play much North of San Clemente, opting instead to stay within five miles or so from Escondido. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 1/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

Welcome and we all hope you soon change your "name" to Chasing_Pars!

Thanks! That is my hope as well.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:23 AM, Hacker James said:

Welcome. If you haven't already, take a look at SOCAL Club for an area specific forum and event planning. I am a little South of you and don't really get to play much North of San Clemente, opting instead to stay within five miles or so from Escondido. 

Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I lived in San Diego (Chula Vista then UniCity) for about 11 years and she grew up in Encinitas. We get down to see her folks with some regularity. If I find a Saturday that I'm playing down there I'll drop you a line.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, Lihu said:

Welcome!

Join Brookside, players club, it’s pretty close to you.

PM me if you want to play a round some time...😊

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, Brookside is really close. I'm looking at the Burbank Men's Club as well (they play monthly tournys at DeBelle). Thanks for the invite to play. I'll definitely look you up in the next couple months.

Andy - Awful Golfer With Horrible Slice Hoping to find something resembling a correct golf swing in 2019 - Determined not to let my pursuit of better than awful get in the way of enjoying being out on a golf course

WITB:
Ping G400 LST / Orlimar 3W & 4H (circa 2012) / Cobra King F7 One Length Irons (5 - GW) / Top Flite Wedges 52* 56* 60* / Orlimar Putter

My Swing Page

1 hour ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, Brookside is really close. I'm looking at the Burbank Men's Club as well (they play monthly tournys at DeBelle). Thanks for the invite to play. I'll definitely look you up in the next couple months.

Cool! DeBelle is a funky course, but if you like it you’ll love it.  Love hate.

Let me know... @tehuti and I are planning this Sunday at San Dimas Canyon 7:08. Let us know if interested. He’s reserving as we speak...

There'll be plenty of opportunities for us to play anyway...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Cool! DeBelle is a funky course, but if you like it you’ll love it.  Love hate.

Let me know... @tehuti and I are planning this Sunday at San Dimas Canyon 7:08. Let us know if interested. He’s reserving as we speak...

There'll be plenty of opportunities for us to play anyway...

Thanks for the invite. This weekend I won't be able to get out and play a round (will get practice time in though). 

WITB:

My Swing Page

8 hours ago, Chasing_Bogeys said:

Thanks! That is my hope as well.

Thanks for the welcome. My wife and I lived in San Diego (Chula Vista then UniCity) for about 11 years and she grew up in Encinitas. We get down to see her folks with some regularity. If I find a Saturday that I'm playing down there I'll drop you a line.

Given where you live, Griffith Park golf club might also be something to consider.  There are two (nice) courses at that complex.  One of them is where I have shot both my personal best 18 and my personal best 9, the other is where I have made my personal most-birdies-in-a-round record.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

Given where you live, Griffith Park golf club might also be something to consider.  There are two (nice) courses at that complex.  One of them is where I have shot both my personal best 18 and my personal best 9, the other is where I have made my personal most-birdies-in-a-round record.  

Good tip. I haven't played those yet. Most of my golf is down towards OC (with my dad) or out towards IE with a good friend. I plan to play more so exploring the nearby options will be helpful.

What are your favorite courses in SD area?

WITB:

My Swing Page

On 1/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, Chasing_Bogeys said:

What are your favorite courses in SD area?

Too many to name, but Vinyard has a partnership program with a couple of my home courses.

Not expensive and fun.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!