IGNORED

Callaway SuperSoft Magna Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would probably try this Magna ball if I see them available. Not so much for the softness, but for the slightly larger diameter. I understand the price for a dozen is around $23. 

It would have to play pretty good though for me to switch from the e7s I use. Close to the same price. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember playing the top flite magna.  Same concept I guess.  It was kind of odd looking down at a ball that was noticeably bigger.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• iacas changed the title to Callaway SuperSoft Magna Golf Ball
  • Administrator

Initial Thought: HOLY CRAP THEY BROUGHT BACK THE MAGNA?!?!?! I remember those suckers!

Second Thought: Okay, so the old Magna was 1.72", the regular golf ball is 1.68. This "raises the CG" all of 0.02". This thing isn't THAT much easier to "get under" or "to get in the air." C'mon. What it is going to be is lighter (less dense, not static weight) and thus shorter. It'll sit up only the teeniest bit higher in the fairway, too, due to the lower density. But barely… unnoticeably.

Third Thought: I'm looking forward to getting my hands on these just for the sheer novelty of it all. It was odd how much larger the Magna looked despite being less than 2.5% larger in diameter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Initial Thought: HOLY CRAP THEY BROUGHT BACK THE MAGNA?!?!?! I remember those suckers!

Second Thought: Okay, so the old Magna was 1.72", the regular golf ball is 1.68. This "raises the CG" all of 0.02". This thing isn't THAT much easier to "get under" or "to get in the air." C'mon. What it is going to be is lighter (less dense, not static weight) and thus shorter. It'll sit up only the teeniest bit higher in the fairway, too, due to the lower density. But barely… unnoticeably.

Third Thought: I'm looking forward to getting my hands on these just for the sheer novelty of it all. It was odd how much larger the Magna looked despite being less than 2.5% larger in diameter.

I remember the original too. It didn't help hooks or slices much. But, if it comes in yellow and sits a little higher in the fairway, I am in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 1/28/2019 at 6:24 AM, Sandhills Golfe said:

Anyone know the compression on these?

They are 35 compression and out today. Disappointed they are only available in white for retail. They are supposed to roll out the yellow after the initial launch. Yellow is available on the Callaway site,

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, Wanzo said:

I remember playing the top flite magna.  Same concept I guess.  It was kind of odd looking down at a ball that was noticeably bigger.  

I remember those too. I also remember a heated debate in the clubhouse after 18 holes (and possibly as many adult beverages). We discuss whether the larger diameter made it more difficult, less difficult or about the same to hole a putt. 

I don't remember how the argument came out, but I remember there were a number of guys on each side of the argument. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I remember those too. I also remember a heated debate in the clubhouse after 18 holes (and possibly as many adult beverages). We discuss whether the larger diameter made it more difficult, less difficult or about the same to hole a putt. 

I don't remember how the argument came out, but I remember there were a number of guys on each side of the argument. 

More difficult.

Barely.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

The few reviews out there seem very positive. Some say, it's like the ball is teed up in the fairway. Once, they come out in yellow and retail, I will post a review. SG

0.02" and a tiny bit less density. I dunno… I'm skeptical.

What I remember most about the Top Flite version was that I could more easily stack one ball on top of the other (slow/rain days in the shop) so people would be amazed that I could stack four golf balls on top of each other on the counter. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:11 AM, Bucki1968 said:

What I remember most about the Top Flite version was that I could more easily stack one ball on top of the other (slow/rain days in the shop) so people would be amazed that I could stack four golf balls on top of each other on the counter. 

lol and I noticed when opening up the box in the store, they were hard to get out of the box. I guess a standard golf ball box is used.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

lol and I noticed when opening up the box in the store, they were hard to get out of the box. I guess a standard golf ball box is used.

It’s a bigger box. And the balls are only 0.04” bigger.

1 hour ago, NJpatbee said:

I remember trying the old Top-Flite version and then never playing it again.  

Agreed. What I remember is the Top Flight Magna ball would slice and hook despite their bold claims. It appears with this new ball, it is very straight but short on distance. Straight is good :-)

Also, in my opinion, they should have went with a new name.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!