IGNORED

Callaway SuperSoft Magna Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Agreed. What I remember is the Top Flight Magna ball would slice and hook despite their bold claims. It appears with this new ball, it is very straight but short on distance. Straight is good :-)

It's almost exactly the same ball. It basically only slices and hooks a little bit less because it's a larger ball that goes shorter. I'm not finding much difference at all, really, except the overall shortness.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, iacas said:

It's almost exactly the same ball. It basically only slices and hooks a little bit less because it's a larger ball that goes shorter. I'm not finding much difference at all, really, except the overall shortness.

You're not the intended audience for the ball which are high cappers, woman, slow swingers, sr's.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

You're not the intended audience for the ball which are high cappers, woman, slow swingers, sr's.

I'm talking about the physics behind everything, not about who hit it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

the reason these types of balls are marketed towards 'slow swingers, high cappers' is because those people play golf in such a way that you probably wouldn't notice how lousy these types of balls are.  put these in the hands of a really good player and they'd probably notice right away the performance drop offs in their ball flight, distance, and performance around the greens.   golf balls, much like clubs are a bunch of gimmicky bullshit and most claims that balls make are really based off of fractions of a yard here and there and that truly the best balls now are designed to be high spinning with irons and go miles off the tee.  if you think that this 'oversized' golf ball is gonna be like 'hitting it off a tee from the fairway' like that video said, well youre probably in for a rude awakening lol.  sure, not everyone can afford to drop a bunch of dough on prov1s but there are plenty of options around on the cheap that will do the trick.  any accuracy claim with reduced distance is probably simply because your ball will curve less if it lands sooner lol

living in a colder climate without much snow, I was able to play golf into november and december and was curious about ball performance in different weather conditions.  I thought I'd get some cheap hard 'distance' balls, to see how they would affect my game because I tended to spin the ball too much off the tee.  Well, the results were pretty drastic, in the sense that my tee shots were actually significantly shorter because a hard ball in the winter is too hard to even compress properly, and when i'd stripe my tee shots, I walk to where I'd expect them to be, only to over walk by 15-20 yards vs a softer ball.  So now not only am I play a rock hard ball that doesnt spin around and green and feels like shit with my irons, it's going shorter off the tee.  Of course, in the dead of summer in hot places, a hard ball could have some distance benefits, but they are not significant enough to justify the loss of spin on the greens and feel 

I'm sure some of the balls do have some truth behind them, but they are by no means a magic pill that will drop 5-10 shots a round off your score. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is if it is shorter I am out. If it is straighter it does not matter since most of my shots are straight or slight fade or draw. At my age (77 in 2 months) I need distance more than straight so I haven't any interest in this ball. Plus it will take a large amount of reviews and by a wide range of age and handicap players to make any impact on who will or will not play it or even be interested.  

9 minutes ago, Keysbear152 said:

I am a high handicap senior golfer and play Aeroburner high loft irons. I get a nice high flight with my slow swing speed. I'm going to give these a try but wonder if my ball flight well then be too high. Thoughts?

It's unlikely that your ball flight would be significantly higher or lower with this golf ball, but if anything the ball would fly lower rather than higher since your spinrate would go down compared to a standard golf ball.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Keysbear152 said:

I am a high handicap senior golfer and play Aeroburner high loft irons. I get a nice high flight with my slow swing speed. I'm going to give these a try but wonder if my ball flight well then be too high. Thoughts?

It won't be that high. Buy a sleeve at your local golf shop. Personally, the balls are disappointing. The feel is just odd compared to a regular ball. The slice is reduced. But, if you are a slicer (rightie) the ball will still get into trouble on the right. 

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

Got a chance to try out the Magna oversize ball yesterday. After reading the positive comments posted here I was excited to test it out. I was extremely disappointed. I just could not hit it well. I can't really explain what the problem was but I was either pulling it way left or pushing it way right. I don't know if the visual of the larger ball got in my head causing me to mess up my swing but I was very uncomfortable with it.  I gave it up after 9 and went back to my usual ball. I played much better on the second 9. My wife did better with it than I did but she eventually went back to her regular ball as well. This may be good for some but not for me.

Edited by Keysbear152
typo

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!