IGNORED

Florida Golf Vacation

Niall
Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, this is my first thread and I joined to pick the brains of my fellow golf nuts stateside [I am from Ireland], the following is what we have are planning in the future and would appreciate a response from golfers who have done the same and who live in the area and have the inside track so to speak;

*  We want to go to Florida [probably Myrtle Beach but not set on this]

*  We are 8 single handicappers who want to play 6 courses which need to be challenging, in great condition and worth playing considering we are travelling from Ireland to play.  None of us have played in the US before, there are many courses to pick from but if you were us what 6 courses would you be playing and why.  

*  We are considering arriving day 1 [no golf], Golf on day 2, day 3 and day 4 [we are wondering if these 3 days should be booked as a package] and then rest day 5, golf day 6, golf day 7 and golf day 8, travel to airport and home on day 9.  We would have no issue travelling to another part of Florida for days 6, 7 and 8 if this gets us nearer to the airport keeping in mind the journey home.  Again, should we be considering booking 2 separate packages to cater for our golf needs. 

*  We would be travelling around April time [or do you think another time of year would be better].  

* I can go through a Tour Operator here in Ireland but I would rather get feedback on courses from the golfers who live in the area and have played there before.

* One final challenge as if you don't have enough, if it would be possible to include the TPC Sawgrass this would be a major bonus.  From what I can see online Sawgrass seems to prefer you stay and play but just in case anyone has insider information I cant find.

* For the moment there is no budget, the emphasis is on quality courses.

I know this is a lot to consider but I know if the case was the reverse and you guys wanted to come to Ireland I would be able to point you very much in the right direction so I am hoping my doppelganger exits in Florida.

Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Hello there.

I'm not from that area (i'm from Canada) but i've been to Myrtle Beach for beach/golf vacation twice. The first time we book in advance and the second time we improvise once there. There is usually an activity/golf boot at most of the resort and they can advise you on golf course and usually have good price since it's last minute booking. I would say that I have loved when we didn't book in advance since the guy there point us to good course and sometime advice us to stay away from course that were currently in bad condition. The only drawback to that is that you may not be able to play a specific golf course if there is no tee time available on that course at the time. You could book 1 package with TPC Sawgrass and improvise for the others day if you want. My favorite course that I've played there is Arrowhead Country club, they have 3 9 holes and the course was in pretty good condition when we went there in 2016.

Also, I was in a resort near the beach, so maybe golf resort is a different story and package is better when booking on a golf resort but usually you stay on the same golf course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the site!

First, Myrtle Beach isn’t in Florida, it’s in Northern South Carolina, not far from the NC border, so....

I suggest that you start with the search function here.  While I can give some insights and recommendations, you’ll find a bunch of threads on the subject of Florida golf, especially in the Orlando area.  Several for Myrtle Beach too.  

It’s a warm winter so far, so the golf weather is great!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, Niall said:

We want to go to Florida [probably Myrtle Beach but not set on this]

As someone pointed out, Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina, not Florida.

No offense to any Orlando people, but I find the golf in other areas of Florida more interesting.

I would think about something like this:

-Two/three days in Jacksonville area. Play TPC Sawgrass (twice if you can). The Dye course there is good, but not great. You can also play other courses in the area.

-Three days at Streamsong Resort, which is about 4 hours away by car. There are 3 great courses there, and it's for serious golfers only.

-Two or three more days in the Palm Beach area, maybe at PGA Village in Pt. St. Lucie.

I would fly in and out of different cities to make the driving one-way.

Enjoy! Sounds like a great trip.

Edited by chspeed

Maybe one of these days, I'll be able to do one of these kind of trips. .. until then I'll read threads like these.

Given single-cap players and money not being an object, I'd think about two places off the top of my head, Pinehurst and Kiawah Island in North and South Carolina respectively.

Just like Americans would seek to play Royal County Down when visiting Ireland, I'd assume that Pinehurst's famous No. 2 and Kiawah's Ocean Course would be major attractions.

\

I'll second the statement above by @chspeed regarding Orlando area golf, with the exception of Orange County National, which has three really good courses.  I also agree that Streamsong would be a good addition, and would keep you busy for a few days.  There are several very well done reviews elsewhere on this site of Streamsong, and if it comes down to it, Streamsong over OCN, IMO.

Edited by Eric C
redundancy
  • Like 1

Thanks, the above responses are really helpful, first I apologize to anyone who I offended with my bad geography.  I forget how big the area we are planning to go is, its bigger than my country.

Keep them coming, I appreciate everything you have to add.  Myself and the lads go to Portugal every year so we are branching out and want our trip to the US to be as good if not better than Portugal.

Thanks again everyone...

5 hours ago, chspeed said:

As someone pointed out, Myrtle Beach is in South Carolina, not Florida.

No offense to any Orlando people, but I find the golf in other areas of Florida more interesting.

I would think about something like this:

-Two/three days in Jacksonville area. Play TPC Sawgrass (twice if you can). The Dye course there is good, but not great. You can also play other courses in the area.

-Three days at Streamsong Resort, which is about 4 hours away by car. There are 3 great courses there, and it's for serious golfers only.

-Two or three more days in the Palm Beach area, maybe at PGA Village in Pt. St. Lucie.

I would fly in and out of different cities to make the driving one-way.

Enjoy! Sounds like a great trip.

I've just checked out Streamsong Resort and it looks absolutely fabulous...  I'll have a look at the rest when I get time...

IF you are serious golfers and money is not an issue...  and you choose Florida..... do what has been suggested....

Fly into Orlando.... drive south an hour or so and stay and play at the PGA Village.  There are three courses there.... however, only two are top rated.  The Wanamaker and the Dye Courses. There are hotels just outside the property.

Turn around and head to Streamsong to play the Red,the Blue and the Black.  These are three of the top courses you can play in Florida and probably in the Top 50 you can play in the USA (meaning not private like Augusta National). There is lodging on site.  If you come in April you will probably have to walk the course... since I do not think they allow carts until May.

Then drive 2-3 hours north and play TPC Sawgrass The Players Course and maybe even the Dye Valley Course.  From all my experiences YOU have to stay to play the Players Course.  There is a Marriott right on site that is perfect for doing this.  Also on The Players course you have to take a caddy.

When you are done with this trip you will have played many of Florida's finest.

IF you decide to NOT play TPC Sawgrass, you can play Innisbrook's courses... they hold the Valspar Championship on the PGA Tour there on the Copperhead course.

OR if you decide to not play the PGA Courses.. there are two great courses just south of Jacksonville where you want to play TPC Sawgrass... the courses are in the Hammock Beach resort where you can stay, and they have two outstanding courses... the Ocean course designed by Jack Nicklaus... two of the hole 9 and 18 are on the ocean.   And the Conservatory.  It is inland about 3 miles as the crow flies. 

In 2016 I played the Top 30 Courses You Can Play in Florida and have played ALL these courses except Streamsong Black. 

I hope you have a great time visiting our state.

IF you decide you want to go to Myrtle Beach with over 100 courses... there is a tour operator that I would recommend... and I played their Top 10 courses in 2017.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

If I were to say I'm going to Ireland to play golf...which is about the size of Florida....And I have been to Ireland a dozen times...You need to hone in on the area you are going. If TPC Sawgrass is your cornerstone to your trip....I would look to book there asap if you plan an April trip 2019. If that can be arranged I would play the two courses at World Golf HOF the Slammer and Squire and King and Bear. I'd visit Hammock Resort and play the two there too. And I'd play the Dye at TPC as well. Those would all fall in an area not too far apart. 

Another option if playing TPC Sawgrass is not achievable...and you fly into Orlando or Tampa...Run up to Black Diamond which is a private place but they do stay and plays....Just google Black Diamond Stay Play..There are 45 holes there with the Quarry course the jewel. Near by there is also World Woods which has two great courses. Pine Barrens which is a knock off of Pine Valley. And I have played Pine Valley and Pine Barrens is no Pine Valley but it is engaging and top rated and I have gone there often.

April would be good time for either place. Last option would be go straight to Streamsong and play the three courses there. They are fabulous and flying into either Tampa or Orlando is not far. The Streamsong stay would be the highest rated group of courses of the 3 options.

I lived in Florida the past 8 years. at PGA Club. All the options above are better. But as you have never been here going to Streamsong would be much like playing in Ireland. So the other options would be more American branded type golf.

Good Luck

If you are going to play Streamsong, I would head up the road to the Brooksville area and play both courses at World Woods. That would be on hell of a golf trip. That being said...all those courses are going to be big $.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 2 weeks later...

Great feedback lads, I certainly have a lot of options to choose from and I value your opinions on the golf courses and what airports are close to them.  When you have never been to an area before its hard to understand the size of the area and getting ideas all close to each other really helps.

Thank you all...

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!