IGNORED

NBA 2018-2019

Nave
Note: This thread is 1781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The regular season began on October 16, 2018, and will end on April 10, 2019.
The playoffs will begin April 13, 2019, with the NBA Finals concluding in June.

This topic serves for discussions and polls (who could challenge the Warriors) up to the finals.

I used to have favorite teams and stuck to them until I got depressed becaused they were destroyed by super teams - it was not fun to watch anymore.

Now I feel the definition of 'team' has changed because of players like James Harden and Russel Westbrook who seem to be the only reason their teams are relevant. I do not believe that focusing on achieving the best stats (tripple-double streaks, over 30 scoring in every game) can help a team win championships.

Nave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to NBA 2018-2019

Super teams have killed the NBA, is my opinion, but not the TV rankings.  I loved how you could watch any team in the 90s and watch a all-star.  Now the top 15 players are all on 4 or 5 teams it seems.   Not to mention you know who is going to win, The Warriors,  I hope after this year it will open back up for entire league.  Best part is how the east top 4 teams will battle

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

1 hour ago, grubby98 said:

Super teams have killed the NBA, is my opinion, but not the TV rankings.  I loved how you could watch any team in the 90s and watch a all-star.  Now the top 15 players are all on 4 or 5 teams it seems.   Not to mention you know who is going to win, The Warriors,  I hope after this year it will open back up for entire league.  Best part is how the east top 4 teams will battle

Yeah, you are right about the TV rankings. It seems people still like to watch a circus and see magicians shoot balls from half-court.

Nave

4 hours ago, Nave said:

Now I feel the definition of 'team' has changed because of players like James Harden and Russel Westbrook who seem to be the only reason their teams are relevant. I do not believe that focusing on achieving the best stats (tripple-double streaks, over 30 scoring in every game) can help a team win championships.

I think you're right on Westbrook - the Thunder have done much better since Paul George elevated his own game - but especially while Chris Paul and Clint Capella were out Harden was the only thing keeping them afloat. They weren't going to win a championship with that injured roster whether or not he played like Superman, but he saved them from slipping in the standings in the interim. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, grubby98 said:

Not to mention you know who is going to win, The Warriors,

I was actually looking forward to a Warriors Bucks final and not only have Kawhi Leonard and Toronto upset that prediction, they are currently 1-0 up.  I am impressed with the Raptors, and though the Warriors are still favourites, it has become more like 55-45 to Golden State.  In fact, I believe that Toronto can actually upset the Warriors and win it all

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

14 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

I was actually looking forward to a Warriors Bucks final and not only have Kawhi Leonard and Toronto upset that prediction, they are currently 1-0 up.  I am impressed with the Raptors, and though the Warriors are still favourites, it has become more like 55-45 to Golden State.  In fact, I believe that Toronto can actually upset the Warriors and win it all

i'm a born and bred dubs fan but happy to give credit where credit is due. the raptors defense was stellar and siakam was otherworldly. looking forward to game 2 on sunday.

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

I like the Warriors about as much as a neutral can like a dynastic team, but it would be so cool if the Raptors won. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I love a 7 game series, Toronto fans would be even more insane for a game 7 at home

Steph having hell of game, but Toronto still has the lead 

I still can't believe that Toronto are just one win away from winning the title.  Impressive by Kawhi Leonard.  RESPECT

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Just my opinion, but todays nba is all about possessions, and not so much about defense. . That's why the the 3pt shot is such a big deal, and the super teams are loaded with two, or three, high percentage 3 point shooters.

One of the stats race books use to handicap games is possessions, and points off those posessions. The team who averages the most possessions, and with a higher scoring % off those posessions is usually going to be the favorite. 

The 3pt shot is a quicker way to the max possessions a team can give themselves, plus it is tough to defend against. A team puts up a 3pt shot. If they make it, great. If the shot is a miss, they back peddle to the other team's basket, looking for the defensive rebound, more so than playing defense to cause a missed shot. 

Teams without more than one consistent 3 pt shooter, are having to play less possession basketball, run set ups, and plays, which puts them at a disadvantage against the the super teams. 

The game is pretty much based on 3pt percentages these days. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!