IGNORED

How Do I Remove This Graphite Shaft Extension

Note: This thread is 1872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do I go about removing this shaft extension???

I've thought about just cutting it right at the butt and calling it a day but the shaft weighs a lot more with it than it should and I don’t know how deep it goes 

I’ve tried some butane and just pulling with pliers but it won’t budge 

I drilled a hole into it and thought of using my shaft puller but it won’t fit into the neck of my puller 

any suggestions would be appreciated 

978CF45F-7C27-46F3-B63A-10F55695AC31.jpeg

D92F5D2D-4B1F-460E-9660-6AD291890CC1.jpeg

Just to be sure what I am looking at here. That's a graphite shaft underneath correct? Honestly I would just cut it at the top and call it a day. The problem is you are very likely going to damage the existing shaft with whatever method you use if you haven't already. Using the torch on it I would strongly discourage as it can and will damage the shaft. Any sort of twisting motion again can damage the shaft. With this type of home repair there is no telling what was done, or what type of glue was used. Either cut it or dump the whole thing and reshaft. 

Sorry I don't have better options.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree to simply cut it off is the easiest and shouldn't affect anything.
It might add a few grams to the swing weight leaving the little bit of shaft inside the original shaft.
Never seen anyone improvise an extension in that manner.

When cutting the end off, wrap masking tape over the shaft to keep it from splintering on the cut end.
Best to use a small cutoff blade in a Dremel tool if available.

If you decide to try heating, use a heat gun. A torch may burn and damage the butt end of the shaft.
I would not attempt to drill the extension after cutting to remove the extra, it is very easy to damage the shaft with
a twisting drill when holding by hand. A drill press at slow speed could be an option, with the shaft secured in a vise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^^ What he said. The thing is, you have no idea how far down the original shaft the extension goes! Also, we have no idea what's on the business end of that club. How much do you love that clubhead? If it's enough, you might want to take it to a pro, and have the whole shaft removed and replaced. Just another idea. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!