IGNORED

Simple, Temporary Alternatives to Lead Tape?

Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

could you recommend a quick and dirty way to add weight to the back of iron heads? would duct tape and nickles do the trick? something better or more representative of the weight distribution of lead tape, if that makes sense?

i'm adding a lot of weight to the grip end of my irons. testing some grip + tape combos weighing close to 80g. 

i like adding lead tape to iron heads as a permanent solution but don't want to waste any lead while i sort out what weight feels best. 

thanks! 👍

edit: p.s. kind of wish i would have learned to customize grips sooner but am grateful to do it now. would highly recommend. tough to describe the feeling but i guess it would be like wearing the wrong size shoes for years and then getting a pair that fit properly. so happy. 😁

Edited by hoselpalooza
add p.s. to end of post

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

• iacas changed the title to Simple, Temporary Alternatives to Lead Tape?
11 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

could you recommend a quick and dirty way to add weight to the back of iron heads? would duct tape and nickles do the trick? something better or more representative of the weight distribution of lead tape, if that makes sense?

i'm adding a lot of weight to the grip end of my irons. testing some grip + tape combos weighing close to 80g. 

i like adding lead tape to iron heads as a permanent solution but don't want to waste any lead while i sort out what weight feels best. 

thanks! 👍

edit: p.s. kind of wish i would have learned to customize grips sooner but am grateful to do it now. would highly recommend. tough to describe the feeling but i guess it would be like wearing the wrong size shoes for years and then getting a pair that fit properly. so happy. 😁

I think the nickles would fly off after the first hit. Lead tape is removable, so I would start there.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't think of a way to add the amount of weight you want to besides lead tap.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to Simple, Temporary Alternatives to Lead Tape?

I once added lead fishing weights to a putter. They were in the shape of a round straw. I glued one on each end of the putter, to help prevent twisting of the putter face on off sweet spot hits. These were 1/8 ounce weights. 

The style of putter I was using had sort of a "shelf" on the back of the putter that helped hold the weights. 

It actually worked pretty well. However, eventually the glue would fail, and I would have to re-attach the weights with more glue. This, after cleaning the old glue off.

I could have used epoxy for a more longer, lasting bond, but this was just an expieriment on my part. I actually got up to using two 1/2 ounce weights.

Thinking about it now, I suppose I could have used gorilla duct tape to hold the weights in place. Wrapping the tape completely around both ends of the putter, while leavin the center of the putter face clean for ball contact.

Edited by Patch
  • Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Lead tape isn’t permanent...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)

i don't want to waste lead tape during testing for both cost and convenience; proper disposal requires a trip to the next town over and i can think of more fun things to do. 🙂

fortunately, just found another post where someone uses nickels and painters tape:

will plan to try it with duct tape and let y'all know how it goes.

p.s. for anyone reading linked post, 2g = 1 sw point at the head of the club.

Edited by hoselpalooza
formatting

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

I once added lead fishing weights to a putter. They were in the shape of a round straw. I glued one on each end of the putter, to help prevent twisting of the putter face on off sweet spot hits. These were 1/8 ounce weights. 

The style of putter I was using had sort of a "shelf" on the back of the putter that helped hold the weights. 

It actually worked pretty well. However, eventually the glue would fail, and I would have to re-attach the weights with more glue. This, after cleaning the old glue off.

I could have used epoxy for a more longer, lasting bond, but this was just an expieriment on my part. I actually got up to using two 1/2 ounce weights.

Thinking about it now, I suppose I could have used gorilla duct tape to hold the weights in place. Wrapping the tape completely around both ends of the putter, while leavin the center of the putter face clean for ball contact.

@Patch, these are clever suggestions, thank you. the gorilla tape (plus some other weight) might be exactly what i'm after. 👍

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Lead tape isn’t permanent...

@David in FL, i respect your pedantry. 😉 

your comment helped me realize there could be drawbacks to using lead tape. e.g. what if it falls off during a round? legal to reapply but perhaps a bit of a pain. thank you for this. 👍

my swing thread

9 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

@Patch, these are clever suggestions, thank you. the gorilla tape (plus some other weight) might be exactly what i'm after. 👍

@David in FL, i respect your pedantry. 😉 

your comment helped me realize there could be drawbacks to using lead tape. e.g. what if it falls off during a round? legal to reapply but perhaps a bit of a pain. thank you for this. 👍

Are you looking for an eventual permanent solution? Because unless you are going to re-shaft and adjust with a insert weight, the only way to add weight to the head end other than tape would be tungsten powder down the shaft.

I adjusted a putter with powder and cork. You can do that with irons as well.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

@David in FL, i respect your pedantry😉 

Your OP indicated to me that you thought that lead tape was permanent, and once applied, couldn’t be removed.

If I misunderstood, then I apologize and withdraw my comment.  Lead tape however, remains the best reasonable answer, and I can’t imagine a reason to try a lesser alternative.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Your OP indicated to me that you thought that lead tape was permanent, and once applied, couldn’t be removed.

If I misunderstood, then I apologize and withdraw my comment.  Lead tape however, remains the best reasonable answer, and I can’t imagine a reason to try a lesser alternative.

@David in FL, thanks -- and no apologies necessary. i thought your comment was helpful, even if we were on different wavelengths. 😄

30 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Are you looking for an eventual permanent solution? Because unless you are going to re-shaft and adjust with a insert weight, the only way to add weight to the head end other than tape would be tungsten powder down the shaft.

I adjusted a putter with powder and cork. You can do that with irons as well.

@boogielicious, exactly this. do you know offhand if there's any measurable difference in SW or MOI when adding mass with inserts vs tungsten powder?

my swing thread

6 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

@boogielicious, exactly this. do you know offhand if there's any measurable difference in SW or MOI when adding mass with inserts vs tungsten powder?

Neither will help MOI. To change MOI, you would have to split the weight toe and heel on the head. You could do that with tape. MOI is essentially resistance to twisting at impact. Weight increase in the shaft only changes the swing weight or feel of the head during a swing.

Any change in MOI would be small with tape BTW.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

If lead tape is used, once applied, and in the correct position for permanent use, just tap it down with a soft mallet/hammer. It will stay on for decades.

What this does is it removes any air pockets.

It also helps to make sure surface of club head is very clean.

I have an old pw that is a knock around club. I really abuse it. The tape has been on for 20+ years. It shows no signs of coming off.

• Thumbs Up 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

There are a bunch of ideas in this thread that I think need a bit of clarification. As others have said, lead tape is removable and not permanent. But beyond this, it is in fact reusable at least once or twice as long as it's not over handled and stuck onto clean, dry surfaces.

I have never seen lead tape fall off a club. That really doesn't happen. The only way I could see that ever happening is either being affixed to a wet or dirty surface or if you try and put it on the sole of the club where it could be ripped off during turf interaction.

If you are adamently against lead tape, you can also buy rubber tungsten weight stickers that are reusable. I saw them on Golfworks but you could also find them elsewhere I am sure.

Let me be the first to dissuade you from using the tungsten powder in the shaft. This sounds good in theory but you will end up drastically changing the feel of your clubs. Think pounding on a bag of wet sand with a sledge hammer.

Finally, you can drastically change the SW and the MOI when changing these weights in the head or the shaft (depending on weight location). Tip weights and tungsten powder will alter both of these. The swing weight change will be less so than a head weight change of the same weight, but can still be substantial.

Note: This thread is 2019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!