IGNORED

How to pick the right ball?

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How does someone pick the right ball for them?

What questions should someone ask them self before picking a list of balls to try?

How would someone know that is the right ball for them?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

From the looks of your handicap, choosing a ball should be relatively simple. I think that balancing distance and feel is the key. The last factor being price. I like playing Titleist NXT Tour. Good distance (probably not the longest ball), good feel (not the softest but definitely softer than most) and at $25 to $30 is not the most expensive. Since I tend to lose one (or more) per round, spending four dollars a ball can add up (PRO VI). I know it's not a cheap sport to play but you can still watch your pennies on this expense. Truly the best way to pick a ball is to try 'em out.

I usually grab a sleeve of balls I want to try and give them a chance during a round or two. Also, if I find a great deal on a dozen I'll buy them to try too. Not scientific, but I've been able to learn a little about different balls for my game doing this. I used to think different balls didn't have an effect on my game, but I have learned that they do and sometimes they have a very pronounced effect.

I've found the NXTs are good for my game and they are my normal ball of choice. Of course, I'm now looking for a replacement since they are going away. Luckily I had $70 in gift certificates to Edwin Watts so I bought an extra dozen as well as some Extremes and Tours to see how they will do.

I've tried a sleeve of HX Hots and liked the distance but the short game performance didn't fit my game. I also tried a sleeve of TP Reds and absolutely did not like them. My wife, such a sweetheart, bought me a dozen Nike One Platinum’s and I found they didn't fit my game well either. I'm still with the NXTs but every now and then try a sleeve of other types to see if I find something I like better.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At this time of year, before the competitions come up, I usually buy about 50 different balls, and I try to try them all out on the course, then I choose which I like the best, and use it. That's my way of doing it.

Usually it ends up being NXT's, Pro V1's or HX Tour's.

I just picked up the Bridgestone e5+ after reading some info about it in a golf mag and on this forum. At 24.99 it is reasonably priced and came highly recommended for a single digit who wants the best of both worlds (distance, spin). I will give it a shot. I have tried the Pro V-1 (great ball, expensive, I hit it a tad too high, more spin than I needed) and I am looking for a more affordable solution. The e5+ is a two piece ball with a urethane cover so we will see how it goes. I want to find something this season with more control than my standby Maxfli and stick with it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I somehow managed to try the srixon a333, feel wise isn't bad, putting quite consistent. Got 4 par in a row all through long putt so decided to go with this ball for now.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

I somehow managed to try the srixon a333, feel wise isn't bad, putting quite consistent. Got 4 par in a row all through long putt so decided to go with this ball for now.

Actually found some Srixons (the a333 and the trispeed) and played great with them. That's not a bad option.

Played two times already with the e5 from Bridgestone and I am stoked!

Probably like them the best out of several Callaway, Titleist, Nike and D2 Feel from TopFlite!

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

I usually grab a sleeve of balls I want to try and give them a chance during a round or two. Also, if I find a great deal on a dozen I'll buy them to try too. Not scientific, but I've been able to learn a little about different balls for my game doing this. I used to think different balls didn't have an effect on my game, but I have learned that they do and sometimes they have a very pronounced effect.

Is Titleist discontinuing the NXT balls?????

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

No, just a little tweaking here and there, especially the NXT tour.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Trial and Error.

I have tried a ton of different golf balls. Some too hard, too soft, etc. I never was looking for distance so I steered clear of the distance balls. I was looking for something that would stick on the green with my swing and my wedges.

The first time I ever noticed a difference in my ball was when I played a Bridgestone. I remember watching the ball check up for me on the green, on an ordinary chip shot. I was never able to get that to happen with any other ball. The more I played it I liked everything about it. Now that is what I try to play. I still will try other balls too but stick with Bridgestones.

I want to try the Callaway HX BITE. I just saw them at Target and was going to buy them but I can't go out and hit them in the snow anyways...
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

You can be fitted for a ball much like being fitted for clubs. I know that Golf Galaxy does this type of fitting. I have not been fitted as such but it seems like a good idea.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

I've actually considered the ball fitting. Can anyone shed more light on the process? It just seems that the fitter would recommend whatever they were having trouble moving. I know, I'm just a pessimist.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

I've actually considered the ball fitting. Can anyone shed more light on the process? It just seems that the fitter would recommend whatever they were having trouble moving. I know, I'm just a pessimist.

Do you have a pro from whom you take lessons and can (hopefully) trust? Have him (or her) help with this.

Alternately, when different companies demo their equipment, they sometimes offer ball fitting - to their ball. Bridgestone, for instance, will fit you and tell you the statistics for the ball you play and the ball of theirs best fit to you. Repeat for a few more companies and see which of that you like.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The fitter I went to asked me to bring the balls that I normally play with: Hogan Hawk, Titleist DT Solo and Precept Laddie Extreme. The balls produced small amounts of spin and were perfect for my swing speed. I then asked him if I could try hitting the Nike Platinum, One and Calloway HX Tour. Could not compress those enough, had lots of sidespin and lost distance. So I don't play with them.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

The NXTs are being replaced by the NXT Extremes. I haven't played the Extremes to see how comparable they are to the straight up NXTs but I have a dozen of the Extremes and Tours I'm going to try out soon.

So, going away might have been a poor choice of words on my part.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

When you are fit for a ball they put you on a launch monitor and look at all the specs. They look at launch angle, spin rate, etc. and try to find a ball that gets you as close as possible to the ideal results for your existing swing. If you do get fit make sure it is at a place with a launch monitor and not just the local pro watching you and making a suggestion.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

I currently have 2 dozen Pro V1x's on the way because I have always liked them. But I also have a dozen Srixon ZUR here and a dozen Nike One Platinum and a dozen Bridgestone e5's. I hope that after trying out all these balls I will fall in love with one in particular that I can stick with.
Oh... and I have 2 new Bridgestone B330-S balls. Probably should have just bought a dozen tho eh.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5491 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!