IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

why are you throwing in the Nike Blade with those titleists? just curious
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

why are you throwing in the Nike Blade with those titleists? just curious

So far, I've paid around $100 for the 4 blade irons I've got - and they're all in superb condition....I figure I'll buy a couple of Mizuno MP blades too.

This way, I can test which ones I like extensively before deciding on and buying a full set....
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

A year on from when this thread was started and we have:
  • Muscle-backs: 117
  • Cavity-backs: 114

Remarkable.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I have played many sets these past 2 years and I do agree with most folks that the blades has a better feel and the cavity has better control. \

If you have consistant ball striking you don't really care which one because you can hit them all.

I am not at that level yet but I do love the blade feel so why not get both :) I think the MP-67 is a good choice to the betweeners

No matter what you choose to play with, just get the ball on the green in regulation is the MO.

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

I have played many sets these past 2 years and I do agree with most folks that the blades has a better feel and the cavity has better control. \

Yeah, I am thinking of getting a compromise club. maybe MP-57 or CG reds..

Next Saturday, Titleist is have ing a demo day at my range. I'm going to go in with my 690mb 6 iron and compare and listen with an open mind.
If they convince me I need the AP1 then I will be listening. I'm all about lowering my score and shooting close.

HOWEVER, I am now in definite persuasion that this game is won and lost with the putter.
This year, for every ball I strike on the range, I plan to putt 2 on the practice green.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º
AP2 4-gw 56º & 60º Tiger Woods Newport Art of Putting 2.0 Pro Platinum

Im dropping into this thread a lil late, but I would prefer having a mix of both. Muscle backs for 9-6 and cavities for 5,4,and 3. The new titleist zb forged have this great setup, but I hit a demo 6 iron and it didnt really feel all that much different than the 695cb's I currently play. The muscles seem like they allow the player to control the ball more with the realse of the club more than cb's do. Maybe its just my imagination.

I havent found any differnce in forgivness between a blade and a game improvement iron - really. You need to put a good swing on either style to have a good result. Irons with big offsets have always confused me in terms of set up, so i have always gravitated towards blades because of the simple lines. I learned the game with blades and I feel im the better for it. It allows me to focus more on the ball rather than this big spaceship sized club sitting behind it. Plus, the gratification of hitting a good shot with a blade is much better because you know it was you that hit that shot, and not the technology of the club you are using. I think as far as cb's vs mb's go, its about personal feel.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Next Saturday, Titleist is have ing a demo day at my range. I'm going to go in with my 690mb 6 iron and compare and listen with an open mind.

I'm a converted muscle back forged player now from cavity back, and I dont think i'll ever return back until im like sixty, so I have a good 32 years left in me. I've hit the AP1 and AP2 as well as teh Z-Forged, and honestly, the Z-Forged felt the best to me (personal opinion). The one thing I did want to mention to you was referencing your putter. Phil Mickelson was quoted as saying "the one club you use nearly 50% of the time is the one club you least practice with...the putter" or something along those lines. It was like a light bulb went off in my head when he said that... Food for thought...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

• 4 weeks later...
Agree with the putter comment, Although I do spend most of my time on the practice green. I feel it is the best part of my game.

I'm a scrapper. You might beat me to the green, but I'll catch up with the putter.

Both the Mizuno MP57 and Cleveland CG Red feels good. Quite a toughie to decide which one to buy :)

Fairway Wood : F Speed 3 WoodHybrid : XLS 2i Irons : 3 - PW MP 29 Wedges : SW (56) + LW (60) MPT WedgesPutters : Itchy Bitchy Monza SpiderBall : NXT Tour

Same blades in my bag for 21 years, not likely to change at this point.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

Im still not really consistent enough to play blades ,but my forged precepts , with little to no offset, thinner top line , they're almost there, but I am thinking about mizuno mp 32's

MY BATS

DRIVER- :: 905r grafalloy prolite stiff 8.5*
WOODS-starship 15* 3 wood
IRONS-:mp 32 3- pw ,s 300WEDGES- 53 & 58 *PUTTER-scotty cameronBALL- hx tourBAG- stand bag

Well, I got rid of my 690 Muscle backs. I'm now waiting for my new Ap2 irons. I also slowed me swing down and got regular shafts. Advanced performance you can feel is the line that made it for me. I hit balls for an hour with demos and decided to give in. although not a true cavity back and not a blade. but still forged. Go try these irons if you are on the fence about this subject.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º

You should have at least two sets of irons (probably 3 or 4). One being cavity backed is nice when you're feeling weak, tired, and old (can't hit a mule in the ass from two paces). A quality set of cavities are very enjoyable to hit too, but feel different. Clubs seem to get boring so switching once in awhile can rejuvenate your swing.

Burner 9.5
Titleist 909F2 15.5
Titleist 909H 21
Callaway X20 4-AW
Vokey 56.10 60.04(SM)Odyssey TriForce 1

You should have at least two sets of irons (probably 3 or 4). One being cavity backed is nice when you're feeling weak, tired, and old (can't hit a mule in the ass from two paces). A quality set of cavities are very enjoyable to hit too, but feel different. Clubs seem to get boring so switching once in awhile can rejuvenate your swing.

You're right, since everyone can afford 4 sets of irons.

âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

And Adam Scott, winner of 2008 Byron Nelson switched from MB (Blades) to Ap2.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º

I totally disagree. I switched clubs this year. (went from MX-15's after my handicap got down to a 9.5 and switched to MP-60's. Now the handicap is up to 11 but coming back down) My yardages are completly different between these two very different sets of clubs. I can't imagine playing multiple clubs througout the year. I don't know how some people change clubs 3 or 4 times a year on this website. I'd never play bogey golf doing that!

The cavity backs were very consistent, but very dead feeling. I would mis-hit and it would still go forever. Now I know when I mis-hit and I've had to get good repeatable swing dynamics. It's been some work on the driving range, but I'm making some shots I'd have never made with the old clubs. Oh well, I guess everybody is different and what works for some doesn't work for others!

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

Note: This thread is 1403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!