IGNORED

whats a good handicap?

evinkc05
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am curious as to what handicap is considered a good handicap, as I have heard 10 handicappers call themselves duffers or hackers, so Im just interested in people's opinions as to where that line is that a golfer becomes "good" in your eyes. Thanks.

In my Stand Bag:
Driver: 910 D2 9.5*- Stiff Ahina
3W: Snake Eyes

7W: Snake Eyes (IDK why i love this club)
Irons: 690.MB 3i-PW Stiff
Wedges: CG12 54*, Form Forged 900 60*

Putter: Versa White #1

Ball: Pro V1x *used and cheap/free*

If you compare a player with hcp 10 and one with 20. The 10 is not twice as good as the 20 hcp'r, he's better.
And the lower handicap you get, you realize how hard it is to get a lower score.

So, the 20 hcp'r thinks that someone with 10 is a good golfer, and the golfer with 10 thinks that someone with 5 is a good golfer and so on. This automatically always puts yourself in the hacker/duffer slot.

My opinion on a good golfer is a scratch player.
  • Upvote 1
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

I think anyone below 18 is good in general standard. I think from research there are more than 70% of golf population who can't break 100 in their life time if I remember correctly. Only a minor % of the population are single handicaps. (I think it was less than 10% of the world golf population)

Handicap 18 vs handicap 0 is usually one putt difference or one club shot difference in 18 hole round so basically you won't be delayed or annoyed with someone at handicap 18 even if you play single handicap.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I'd say a good golfer is anyone who can hit to an 18 hdcp. Bogey golf is good. A scratch golfer wouldn't be considered "good" in my opinion, they are at another level altogether.
WITB - New For 2009!!!
||.........GTX Stand Bag......................||
||.................Sumo SQ2 5900 10.5.............||
||.................Sasquatch Sumo 4W..............||
||.........MX-200 3I - PW.....................||||.............Vokey SM 50,56,60 Wedges...||||.................Unitized...

I agree - if you can average out bogey golf you are a decent player.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

My opinion would be that your index would need to be in the upper half of the average to be "good".
For men an index of 14 or below would put you in the upper half.
http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap..._handicap.html
For women an index of 27 or below is the upper half.
http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap..._handicap.html

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll agree with the others and say if you're a bogey or better golfer, then that's at least a 'decent' handicap (usually around 18 or so). That usually means you're hitting a lot of good shots and can play at a decent pace on almost all courses. As for a 'good' handicap, I would think somewhere around 12/13 or lower because that means you're making several pars, occasional birdies and a few bogeys or blowup holes (we all have them).

But it's all relative. On most courses if someone can consistently shoot under 100 I don't think they are a bad player. If they consistently shoot in 90's I think they are 'decent'. In 80's I consider them good. 70's and under I consider to be 'very good/great'.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I dunno..I tend to think im a good player. But i watch tour guys, or the + handicaps i see at some of the ametuer tournments i play in and just think im a wannabe hack.. I guess its all reletive as others have said.

Forgetting about the handicap - if youre confident enough in your own game to play for money or challenge someone to a match then it means youre probaly a decent player. Thats the general barometer i use.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

At the moment 27 would good for me personally,but my goal is to play bogey golf I certainly think that that's attainable,and I would consider that good golf,as you would need to be skilled in all areas of the game to shoot 90 as an average.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

"Good" is relative.

A tour pro doesn't consider me to be a very good golfer. A 18 handicap does......and a 30 handicap likely considers a bogey golfer pretty darn good.

The neat thing about this game is that we can either play against ourselves, the course, or others of similar abilities........and that's all good !

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I dunno..I tend to think im a good player. But i watch tour guys, or the + handicaps i see at some of the ametuer tournments i play in and

Boy howdy, isn't that the truth?! Until you've played with some guys that carry + handicaps, you just don't realize what that means! Very humbling.....and will make you re-evaluate what it really means to be "good"!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My opinion would be that your index would need to be in the upper half of the average to be "good".

The one misleading part about all those stats is that it only includes golfers that have an established handicap; it doesn't include people that play but don't submit scores or simply don't play enough ot establish a handicap.

As for the main subject, I think that a "good" golfer is between a 10-15 handicap. That being said, I think being "good" has just as much to do with consistancy; I'd consider a consistant 15 to be better than an erratic 10. A "great" golfer is someone in the low-to-mid single digits (ie. 3-6). Anyone below that needs to get back to work.

I am curious as to what handicap is considered a good handicap, as I have heard 10 handicappers call themselves duffers or hackers, so Im just interested in people's opinions as to where that line is that a golfer becomes "good" in your eyes. Thanks.

Most people will say that "single digits" is very good, and between scratch and 4 is excellent. In many State tournaments, you must have a handicap of 2 or less just to enter.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Good to me is just better than I am, so it's relative. However, I think the golfing community as a whole feels like single digits is a really big milestone. If you do that, I would say you're considered good by the vast majority of players.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Reportedly 90% of golfers can't break 100 on a regular basis (playing by the rules), so if anyone reaches an honest single digit handicap they must be pretty darn good in the big picture. That probably takes into account millions of people play a few times a year and seldom, if ever, practice.

I have played with many golfers who lose balls, hit OB and drop another ball incorrectly, swing and miss, give themselves 4 ft. putts and so on, and then think they shot an 85 because their egos won't let them be honest about it. I played with a guy once who thought he "played pretty good". I kept track and he lost more than 15 balls. The first time I played with him he said he had shot a 50 on the front 9. I had counted every penalty he was due and every missed putt and he actually had something over a 70 on the front nine.

As for a "good handicap", the best measure is how good do you need to be to enjoy the game. To me that number is around 10-11. When I got down to a 10 or so, I had some control over my swing and occasionally shot in the low 80s, or maybe now and then a 78 or 79.

SubPar

I think anyone under a 6 or 7 handicap is good. Anyone can play golf on and off for a couple years and manage to become a 10. It takes alot of effort to get down to a 7, and anyone who has achieved that goal should be considered good.

A "great" golfer is someone in the low-to-mid single digits (ie. 3-6).

Haha...

One of my favorite things to ask playing partners and competitors after a good shot is "don't you work anymore?" As to the OP, I have to only slightly disagree with others that 18 is a "good" handicap. I see 18 as a reasonable golf for the serious, athletically inclined golfer. I would judge "good" to be better than that, a 15 and lower, say. That said, I'll be happy if I can reach and maintain an 18 in my lifetime.

Launcher 2009 10.5º, S
Rescue Dual 16º
Rescue Dual 19º
Maltby MTF 4-pw, Rifle 5.5
Maltby M-Series 52.6, 58.8 2008 AnserOut of the bag: Big Bertha Fusion 15º, YS6+ R (for sale or trade)

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!