IGNORED

One Man Scramble

cfmgolf
Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never played one, but those I've heard about it's just a scramble where you get 2 tries for every shot.  No mulligan or must use ball for those I'm familiar with.  But as I said, I've never actually played one, so take my comments with that in mind.

The only thing that really comes to mind for me that it's a guaranteed formula for slow play.  Both for playing two shots for every stroke that counts, then chasing down all errant balls.  That's a lot of wasted time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

You seem to belong to one of the worst golf clubs in the world. They can't figure out or enforce handicapping, the course is routinely mismarked, they announce a tournament but don't actually tell anyone how it will be contested because they don't know themselves, etc.

Why are you asking us? How the **** should we know what your tournament is going to be like?

And no, I've never played in one of those, nor would I. I've played some "worst-shot" rounds by myself, as practice, but that's about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

maybe it's a reverse scramble. we play a bit of that but for training.

play two balls and always choose the worst position to see how you maintain score. if you cant choose between distance and bad lie/angle, take distance.

I've never played one, but those I've heard about it's just a scramble where you get 2 tries for every shot.  No mulligan or must use ball for those I'm familiar with.  But as I said, I've never actually played one, so take my comments with that in mind.

The only thing that really comes to mind for me that it's a guaranteed formula for slow play.  Both for playing two shots for every stroke that counts, then chasing down all errant balls.  That's a lot of wasted time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big C View Post

8 tee shots on every hole. I shudder at the thought. Be prepared for a 6 hour-plus round.....

I was worried about slow play also but fortunately I am in the first group going off as a twosome- I am coaching soccer at 4 pm, so we broke our group apart and made arrangements to head out before the 10 am time.

You seem to belong to one of the worst golf clubs in the world. They can't figure out or enforce handicapping, the course is routinely mismarked, they announce a tournament but don't actually tell anyone how it will be contested because they don't know themselves, etc.

Why are you asking us? How the **** should we know what your tournament is going to be like?

And no, I've never played in one of those, nor would I. I've played some "worst-shot" rounds by myself, as practice, but that's about it.

Before starting a thread on this, I had done a search, but didn't see this thread that you moved my post to until today as I was not subscribed to this thread.

They knew the format today- 2 shots on every swing until you hole out.  I like most of the guys at the club (both players and staff), but our season only runs from June-Sept and many of the staff know a lot more about skiing than golf.  My season pass was only $359 (plus $50 to join league and $15 per comp to fund prizes).  I have gotten at least $600 in shop credit this year, so I am not complaining.

Yesterday they had to cancel a tournament because of snow.  You can see part of the 5th and 6th holes in this photo

The problem with postponing stuff because of weather is that there is no time to make it up as the season ends Sunday.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I'm playing in a one-man scramble next weekend. The format we are using is 2 mulligans per hole. This is my first time playing a one-man scramble, but I think I like this format better than 2 shots at every position just for the sake of time. My strategy is to try to always save my mulligans for birdie putts or chips around the green. I really hope I don't have to use many at all on drives.

If you don't use both mulligans on one hole, do you get to carry over?

What if someone doesn't use any mulligans? Do they beat someone who uses all the mulligans and ends up with the same score?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

What if someone doesn't use any mulligans? Do they beat someone who uses all the mulligans and ends up with the same score?

In any silly tournament I've played where mulligans were offered, it was use them or lose them.  The fact that a player used them has no impact on the outcome.  The winner is still the winner.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A local club is having a one-man scramble. The rules: each golfer gets one mulligan shot per hole. Best individual score wins.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Just wondering if anyone has played in one of these one man scramble formats that are popping up? Just wondering what type of strategy you started with and what worked, what didn't, etc. Let me know how you made out! Thanks for posting.

LOL....I did this once in 2012.   I played a 2 man scramble when the weather was bad and nobody was around...(as if it mattered because I did it in under 3hrs)....I shot -11.

I did it once in the 1990s...and shot -8.  I must be improving!  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I saw rules sheets for several one man scrambles posted online that allowed 2 Mulligans per hole BUT only 1 per shot...pretty sure it is a use it or lose it and don't think they count the number of mulligans you use in determining the winner.

I think I would prefer the 1 mulligan per hole format over the 2 mulligan version or the 2 shots every shot version we did yesterday.  Much more strategy involved in deciding when to use your mulligan.

LOL....I did this once in 2012.   I played a 2 man scramble when the weather was bad and nobody was around...(as if it mattered because I did it in under 3hrs)....I shot -11.

I did it once in the 1990s...and shot -8.  I must be improving!  LOL

I posted -7 yesterday.  Generally pleased with how I struck the ball in really windy conditions but my putting let me down with 1 double miss from 4 feet, 4 double misses in the 7 to 12 foot range and nothing made outside about 17 feet.  The missed 4 footer was really frustrating as I hit 2 really good 5i on a down wind 218 par 3- the first to 6 feet and the second to 4 and made the same score as the guy I was playing with who hit 1 into the hazard and the other in the left rough.  The consolation is that it was our closest to the hole proxy, so I think I probably won that.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!