IGNORED

Chipping, wrist or no wrist

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's the beauty of bounce - you can hit two inches behind the ball and still get a good shot that sends the ball up in the air. If you blade or fat the ball, you're using the leading edge too much.

i thought you're meant to hit the ball first?

I can feel when the bounce hits the ground just before impact, usually gives a nice shot.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've never hit a putter from 30 yards out?

Thats why I referenced US courses. Most of our courses have fairly soft fairways with longer grass on the collar surrounding the green. Long bump and runs like you describe tend to have unpredictable bounces in softer conditions, judging the release on a shot you carry to the green is more predictable. The few courses which allow or even encourage this shot over here are very enjoyable. I blame the target golf era ushered in by Nicklaus and Pete Dye. They prefer to play the game up high and try to stop the ball quickly.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Thats why I referenced US courses. Most of our courses have fairly soft fairways with longer grass on the collar surrounding the green. Long bump and runs like you describe tend to have unpredictable bounces in softer conditions, judging the release on a shot you carry to the green is more predictable. The few courses which allow or even encourage this shot over here are very enjoyable. I blame the target golf era ushered in by Nicklaus and Pete Dye. They prefer to play the game up high and try to stop the ball quickly.

you guys don't know what your missing, come over to the UK or Ireland.

Get a taste of real golf.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• 2 years later...
I hate to admit it but chipping was a part of the game I had .the most difficult with.the last two years I've been practicing frequent. I have been practicing with some good players. And I seem to have found out everybody has their own way what works for them.. My friend is a Phil Mickelson follower and he likes the hinge and hold method . Me not so much. I like chipping around the greens using my 60° wedge and most all my short game shots. The exceptions being of course if I am in jail or a longer bunker shot. Practice practice practice. Chip shots and flops are 2 different shots and even pitches so make it 3. Keep that weight on the front foot for most all your short game shots. My flops I open my wedge and stance / wedge aimed at target feet and shoulders aimed left and swing to my feet line. I also like using my upper body/ shoulders not my hands to control the distace. For me its all rhythm. Back n through ps keep your head down is upmost important

Phil doesn't do "hinge and hold" for as many shots as he says he does. Furthermore, "hinge and hold" is the way to hit roughly one shot - for a LOT of short game shots you will almost feel like you're flipping. Why? To use the bounce a bit more. People who blade and chunk the ball badly aren't using the bounce.

I hate to admit it but chipping was a part of the game I had .the most difficult with.the last two years I've been practicing frequent. I have been practicing with some good players. And I seem to have found out everybody has their own way what works for them.. My friend is a Phil Mickelson follower and he likes the hinge and hold method . Me not so much. I like chipping around the greens using my 60° wedge and most all my short game shots. The exceptions being of course if I am in jail or a longer bunker shot. Practice practice practice. Chip shots and flops are 2 different shots and even pitches so make it 3. Keep that weight on the front foot for most all your short game shots. My flops I open my wedge and stance / wedge aimed at target feet and shoulders aimed left and swing to my feet line. I also like using my upper body/ shoulders not my hands to control the distace. For me its all rhythm. Back n through

Phil doesn't do "hinge and hold" for as many shots as he says he does. Furthermore, "hinge and hold" is the way to hit roughly one shot - for a LOT of short game shots you will almost feel like you're flipping. Why? To use the bounce a bit more. People who blade and chunk the ball badly aren't using the bounce.

I have heard the term "use the bounce" . I have a bad tendency of hitting it fat on long pitch shots. I believe however its from getting to steep. My divots speak loud for sure

I have heard the term "use the bounce" . I have a bad tendency of hitting it fat on long pitch shots. I believe however its from getting to steep. My divots speak loud for sure

Get the weight on your forward foot, but make sure you don't move the head forward. That'll make you hit steeper and have a harder time hitting it clean.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know a ex pga tour player who can hit shots out of a bunker landing it about 7 yards on a down- slope. Ball will roll out about 3 yards then violently spin back up the hill even further then it orginaly landed. I was trying to figure how on earth is this guy hitting that shot! To me it appears he is using his upper body turning very fast through the shot. I did not want to ask him as he was giving lessons/ he hangs out at Lakewood Golf course in Southern CA. James Oh

The worst part of my game has been chipping by far. Its been said on a number of occasions that I hit the ball like a mid to low handicapper but my short game sucks. At the start my putting was terrible as well but that can be traced to bad chipping as I was leaving myself no chance to sink putts from a shorter range. Funnily enough short pitches and flops from the start have been comfortable. Just the accuracy needs to be tightened up. After not really getting the consistent contact from a putt chip action I came across the Mickelson method. Spent 3 hours one day in the garden and I'm sold on it. I actually enjoy chipping now. It was too soon for my last round but I don't get the fat contacts. If anything I get too much into it. On shorter chips a smaller wrist break followed by an upper body turn through the ball only leads to a good shot. As for the hinge and hold and Phil's explanation was that it's only a hold in the sense that you don't allow the club to outrace your left hand. I find that easier than trying to maintain the wrist set due to the weight of the club. Plus it adds a natural rhythm to my chipping. In any case if I am considering a putt chip then more than likely I can actually putt.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I think that reducing the short game to one or two types of swing kind of takes away some of the options and creativity from the game. Let's face it the short game is where us hacks can control the shot because the swing is short and doesn't require a lot of speed, so you can control the club face if you have confidence and a nice tempo. So my answer is yes to everything - wrist hinge , no wrist hinge, ball up, ball back, hinge & hold, use bounce, use leading edge...practice creativity around the greens, and don't fear! Tentativeness is the element I see in myself and others that kills the short shot.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I think that reducing the short game to one or two types of swing kind of takes away some of the options and creativity from the game. Let's face it the short game is where us hacks can control the shot because the swing is short and doesn't require a lot of speed, so you can control the club face if you have confidence and a nice tempo. So my answer is yes to everything - wrist hinge , no wrist hinge, ball up, ball back, hinge & hold, use bounce, use leading edge...practice creativity around the greens, and don't fear! Tentativeness is the element I see in myself and others that kills the short shot.

I agree dak4n6, I prefer no wrist, no body.......all hands, all arms, all shoulders. The chip and pitch shots are some of the finest control shots in golf I don't get why you'd introduce other elements like knee turn, body coil etc.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by logman

I agree dak4n6, I prefer no wrist, no body.......all hands, all arms, all shoulders. The chip and pitch shots are some of the finest control shots in golf I don't get why you'd introduce other elements like knee turn, body coil etc.

Because they enhance control.

One day you'll listen to all that people say...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Because they enhance control.

One day you'll listen to all that people say...

Enhance control ha ha ......I'll try a full body turn next time I putt then. Haha!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Enhance control ha ha ......I'll try a full body turn next time I putt then. Haha!

I understand that you don't like the "standard swing" which makes sense. Lots of different swings out there by pros, only held together by the inches before and inches after impact.

But they allllll use their body on at least some of their short game shots.

As to the comment on putting... just as long game has lots of differences than short game, short game (chipping pitching) has differences with putting. Control in the pitching and chipping shots erik is talking about, I imagine, is more about proper contact (using the bounce, thumping the ground on a bunker shot) than having the face at EXACTLY the right spot to drop a putt. Control on putting and pitching isn't the same thing.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Yes there different things(putting and chipping), but consider a 30 foot putt from the edge of the green.......we putt ......no body turn ,no wrists no body involvement at all really. But then consider the same shot but from the fringe. not 30 feet from the cup but 32 feet. So now it's suddenly important to use the body in some way......to enhance control? yeah right!  I mean that's funny!

Hell, all I'm saying is there are different ways to play that shot. I like to play the shot in a different way, big deal. I just find it funny the way you guys seem to think there's one way to do things .....the right way and the wrong way.

Yes there different things(putting and chipping), but consider a 30 foot putt from the edge of the green.......we putt ......no body turn ,no wrists no body involvement at all really. But then consider the same shot but from the fringe. not 30 feet from the cup but 32 feet. So now it's suddenly important to use the body in some way......to enhance control? yeah right!  I mean that's funny!

Hell, all I'm saying is there are different ways to play that shot. I like to play the shot in a different way, big deal. I just find it funny the way you guys seem to think there's one way to do things .....the right way and the wrong way.

I just have one question for you, "Crown or VB?".

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I just have one question for you, "Crown or VB?".

You buying!??? I'd prefer a Barossa chiraz please.

I had a couple of glasses of Torbreck Woodcutter's Shiraz last night.  Tasty.  If figure the wine below may be to your liking as well.  Very tasty too.  I get this one every couple of months.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!