IGNORED

No 3's in your bag unless you're good?

Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I prefer hitting my 3i over any fairway wood or hybrid I've ever hit. I wish mizuno made a 2i in the mp57s.
Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5°
5W: Speed LD
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°
Irons: MP-57 3i-PW
Wedges: SM Oil Can 52° and 58°Putter: Rossa Daytona

At age 62 I am now down to a 7-iron being my longest iron, and a 5-wood being my longest wood. But the 5-wood is on a 44 1/2 inch (driver) shaft and I can hit it about 230 off the fairway, and I have replaced my irons with 25, 30 and 35 degree hybirds. My single digit index indicates how well my unusual approach is working for me.

Your clubs should be determined by what you works for you. Be creative, and don't limit yourself just to what you find on the pro-shop shelf.

I haven't read through the thread to see if ithis has been addressed so sorry if I'm repeating anything.

To me, having "No 3's in you bag" all depends on if you have neough clubhead speed to get the ball up off the ground. It has nothign to do with handicap or scoring ability and everythnig to do with your strength and power. I've always had a 3 iron and will never be without it, but I also carried it back when I was a 12-15 handicap because I had no trouble getting the ball up in the air consistently. Hell, there are scratch golfers that would be better suited to hybrids in place of thier 4 and 5 iron, and there are 20 handicappers that can hit their 3 iron just as well as their 7 iron.

At the end of the day, it all has to do with how the clubs fit your game and only your game.

I guess that I do not carry any 3's in the bag, I carry a 13 degree 2 wood, 17 degree 4 wood, and a 19 degree 2 hybrid, and never play a # 3 ball as they always seem to find the water....mind thing, but no 3's in my bag so I must be bad, or maybe better than I thought because I play that 2 wood off the deck and get about 230-240 with it

Thomas " Hitman" Heitman

A couple of weeks ago I was struggling with my 3w in the fairway so I exchanged it for my dormant 5w and glad that I did. I've gotten more efficient with it and quite often hit it 200+ yards off the deck. I'm sure the added loft has helped and now that my confidence is back up, I'm ready to reintroduce my 3w.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Blanket statements like this clearly won't apply to every golfer-but the vast majority of beginners/high 'cappers would benefit from a 4 or 5 wood in place of a 3 wood, and no irons above a 4 iron. Obviously, once the individual golfer is competent with a 3 iron or 3 wood then by all means throw them in the bag.

My handicap came down tremendously after I added a 3 wood and 3 hybrid to my bag... the 3 wood allows me to be more accurate on narrow fairways and my 3 hybrid is a wonderful rescue club for me. And I hit my 3 iron much more consistently than my 5 wood.

My club selection varies based on the course Im going too...

Weapons of Mass Destruction
* Driver - SQ Dymo - 10.5*
* Woods - SQ Dymo 3 Wood - 15*
* Irons - Black Pearl CG 7 - 4 thru PW
* Wedges - RAC Y-Cutter - 60* * Utility - Niblick - 42* & 56** Putter - YES Callie* Ball - E6*** Looking to buy a Niblick 49*

I go from my driver then next is my 3 iron. I have tryed 3 woods / 5 woods and hybrids and i just cant get hitting them consistant enough to keep in the bag :( think am going to try work over the winter and see if can carry a 4 wood loft club as am joining a longer club next year which i think would come into more play then.

Driver: 909 D2 8.5 Degree - Red Pro launch shaft
Irons: AP2's 3-9 irons
Wedges: Vokey spin milled 48/54/60 degrees
Putter: Newport 2 Style 33inches
Ball: Pro v1Glove: Players

3W good off fairway as long as grass is cut. Useful off tee on the funnel holes we have around here - shorter par 4s where the fairway narrows to nothing about 220 yards from tee.

3i is used primarily as a driving iron, gives a low draw on tight/windy holes. One course I play I use it for three tee shots (one a par 3 into wind). Also useful to punch out from under trees - I'm really pretty good at this shot.

I have a week here or there when 3W or 3i just isn't working - I just leave them in bag if they cause trouble during warm-up.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

. . . there are 20 handicappers that can hit their 3 iron just as well as their 7 iron.

Because they can't hit either one?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm guessing that the quote-starter was talking about a 3-iron.

3-woods nowadays are so user-friendly and they are very forgiving. I would throw my driver away first before my 3-wood.

I guess that I do not carry any 3's in the bag, I carry a 13 degree 2 wood, 17 degree 4 wood, and a 19 degree 2 hybrid, and never play a # 3 ball as they always seem to find the water....mind thing, but no 3's in my bag so I must be bad, or maybe better than I thought because I play that 2 wood off the deck and get about 230-240 with it

In most wood sets I've seen 13° IS a 3W. I know that Mizuno makes both a strong 3W at 13° and a weak one at 15°. I have the 15° version. But both are marked as 3 woods. The F-60 4W is 16.5°

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I sometimes hit a 3 hybrid off the tee - it's much straighter than the driver, and on short par 4 or par 5 holes...why not?

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I was screwing around with the 3iron from my set, yesterday. There are certain situations where a 3i might be useful for me, but man, im glad i don't use that thing anymore..lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5000 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!