IGNORED

Finally the owner of a Scotty!

andef
Note: This thread is 4888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting that you call a Newport 2 a "blade" putter. Care to elaborate??

I've heard Newports and other similar putters referred to as "blade" style putters before. I think that in a lot of peoples minds there are "mallet" style putters and "blade" style putters.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've heard Newports and other similar putters referred to as "blade" style putters before. I think that in a lot of peoples minds there are "mallet" style putters and "blade" style putters.

These days, that's exactly the case. But, back in the day, we called the Anser style heel/toe weighted putters. A blade was a Titleist Bullseye, that looked the same on both sides. We even qualified traditional blade putters like the Wilson 8802, calling them a "flange blade.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

These days, that's exactly the case. But, back in the day, we called the Anser style heel/toe weighted putters. A blade was a Titleist Bullseye, that looked the same on both sides. We even qualified traditional blade putters like the Wilson 8802, calling them a "flange blade.

"Back in the day" to my coworkers is somewhere between 1998 and 2004.

I'm not sure I'd consider bullseye's blades either. When I think of a blade putter, I think of the heel shafted 0 irons that you saw in the 1920s to 1950s. There are still some kicking around - a centre shafted bullseye seems like a SGI putter compared to those POS.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

There are still some kicking around - a centre shafted bullseye seems like a SGI putter compared to those POS.

I was talking about a period in which I actually played. In the late 1970s, a SGI putter was a RAM Zebra.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I made a similar move about 14 months ago. I changed to an all Titleist bag less my Taylor Made Rosso Spyder putter I got some ribbing from friend and got it in my head I wanted a Scotty. The easiest progression was a Newport Square back. Got really used to that then wanted to got the next step and got a Newport 2. Love my NP2 and put better with this than any mallet. Use both for a while in case you have to spend some time getting used to it

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

I apologize for using the wrong term there.

No apologies allowed until your first three putt...... That's the rule. If you four putt within your first 100 holes, you have to throw it in a lake or pond. Or in my neighborhood pool.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I find with the scotty you have to hit the center of the club-face all the time,off center hits and distance control is well off.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

I find with the scotty you have to hit the center of the club-face all the time,off center hits and distance control is well off.

Well... that depends on the model, as it does with all putters. A heel-toe weighted Cameron with 7 o'clock toe hang is the same (or 99% the same) as a Ping Anser with nearly the same design, similar weight (withing 25 grams probably) and the same toe hang. If you've been putting with Cameron Red X's or with Cameron Caliente's put them down and walk away... walk slowly away.....

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

No apologies allowed until your first three putt...... That's the rule. If you four putt within your first 100 holes, you have to throw it in a lake or pond. Or in my neighborhood pool.

I seem to be putting quite well with it. I like the feel of it and I'm much more confident with this than with my Odyssey. I've actually only 4 putted once when I was a 35 handicapper. Haven't come close to that lately. I'm hoping the Scotty helps me average around 29 / 30 putts per round next year.

I have had my Scotty for a little while now and things are finally starting to come together, I think.

Today, in the cold, I went out and managed to squeeze in about 15 holes. No three putts, several 1's and the rest 2's. Something just "clicked" with it about a week ago. Spent several hours on the practice green and all the sudden - BAM - it started to feel just right.

Hope it carries over into next season!!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Wow lads, Scotty Cameron is just a name.
You can buy the most expensive best hyped Scotty on the market, but it is you who makes the stroke and that's something you can't buy in any shop.
The best putter I know is a 70 year old lad who uses the same old no name putter he did 30 odd years ago.
Putting is a combination of confidence and stroke, if having Scotty Cameron on the end of your putter helps ,well and good, but only you can put the stroke on it.

By the way I also use a Scotty, now if you tried to take it from me you would have to fight very hard or bring a gun.
Best of look lads.

Wow lads, Scotty Cameron is just a name.

I see it the same way. I don't think SCs are the holy grail of putters. I could putt just as well with any other Anser Style putter. My friends opted for an SC to complete my Titleist bag, get me an Anser style putter and because I prefer the feel of a firm putter. I'm the one who makes the stroke but having a putter that I like gives me slightly more confidence.

• Administrator
Note kindly that the "value" discussion already has its own thread . I'd kindly ask people not to rain on someone's parade in threads like this one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats OP. I picked up a used Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 a few weeks ago. I only got one round in with it before it got too cold, but I played well with it. I hope you have more willpower than me though, because buying a Scotty did not stop my putter purchasing. In recent weeks, with all of the crazy sales and stuff, I picked up an Odyssey White Ice Sabretooth 2, Never Compromise NCX-Ray Mallet, and a Cleveland Classic 4. I gotta say, these are all sweet putters to have around, but I know I'll be tempted to play with the Scotty when it warms up. As an aside though, the White Ice Sabretooth 2 seems incredibly forgiving--it is so well balanced.

Equipment:
Ping K15 Driver (10.5º) - Diamana BB R flex; Ping G15 4 Wood (TFC R flex); Ping G15 20* Hybrid (TFC R flex); Ping G15 23* and 27* Hybrids (AWT R flex steel); Ping G15 Irons 6-GW (AWT R flex steel); Ping I-Wedge 54* Wedge; CG14 BP 58* Wedge; Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 Putter

Older model Studio Style, some Studio Selects, you should be good. Check eBay for those, as well as Studio Design and Coronado models if you want something different than the Anser style. Be careful of counterfeit
SS's.

www.scottycameron.com has a "putter archive" sorted by year for you to browse. Unfortunately, my dream putter is a Napa... Those are too rare, and generally $300+ even for used putters.

can i ask, if youve never hit one, why did you want one?

That could be asked about so many things. Several of them golf related.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!