IGNORED

Mike Weir's future

JordanJCaron
Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Grant Waite?

Apparently he is quite knowledgeable....just read this quote about himself....

In a New Zealand Herald story that ran last month Waite was quoted as such: "At the tour level there are guys I am helping who are more interested in the long game because they understand my prowess in that area is of a high, high level . . . There are things I know about the golf swing and how to apply it to help a player that can be very beneficial to a player at this level."

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Grant Waite?

Hopefully it works out

The current trend among teachers is to learn why they couldn't succeed at the game as a player, then assuming it was just ultimately a lack of talent (or putting) then share those learnings with others. With his self confidence, he should fit right in with all the other big name instructors. RE: Mike Weir. He might feel like he's striping it, but he's been saying that off and on for a few years now and it just ain't happening on the course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by jamo

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I understand thinking he's done because he is off the Tour and hasn't done much in a long time, but what makes you think his head is out of it? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just a bit curious.

i was looking at the field for the 2011 john deere classic and it looks like Mike Weir is playing in it. Im going to go one day during the tournament since its like an hour from my house. Il check out his ball striking and see what it looks like

• 2 years later...

I heard recently that Mike Weir dropped Grant and Mayo. Does anyone know anything about who his new swing coach is? I feel bad for the guy--such a talent golfer. Maybe he should just go back to S&T;?

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He dropped Grant yes-I heard the same thing......... because Grant dropped Mayo a long time ago now.[quote name="scopek" url="/t/44554/mike-weirs-future/18#post_971524"]I heard recently that Mike Weir dropped Grant and Mayo. Does anyone know anything about who his new swing coach is? I feel bad for the guy--such a talent golfer. Maybe he should just go back to S&T;?  [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

He dropped Grant yes-I heard the same thing......... because Grant dropped Mayo a long time ago now.

Sounds like a bad romance story. Do you know who Weir started working with?

BTW, who's in your avatar. Is that Mac O'Grady?

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

• 1 year later...

I cringed when Mike came in 2nd to last in the Masters this year (Ben Crenshaw was last) . Mike says his body is still letting him down.

Thankfully Graham DeLaet and David Hearn have filled the Canadian void left by Mike.

http://www.mikeweir.com/uncategorized/the-masters-round-2

Mike Weir - age 45 / 2014 stats = 1 2nd place, 1 top 10, 1 top 25, total events -25, cuts made -9 / Money earned $854,413

/ 2015 stats = 1 top 25, events - 13, cuts made - 1 Earnings - $72,800

Now while that's not great, compared to what the majority of the current young guns are doing, I think I could live with it. Now as for Mike, at age 45 and having health issues, I think it would be prudent, if he rested, healed and prepared for the senior tour.

Hate crowned cups.

Weir could certainly become a short-game teacher for the pros or the Canadian program. What he did in 2013 to save his scoring average with his errant long game may have been super-human. Does anyone have a number for his strokes gained short game for that year vs. the next-best guy?  Could just be great touch, but I bet he knows a thing or two.

Kevin

I like Weir, but like tiger he is washed up

Funny, I don't remember Weir winning 5 events two years ago. :doh:

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3262 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!