IGNORED

What Is Appropriate Golf Attire?

icourtnage
Note: This thread is 6087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I headed out last weekend to play at my local muni, I was appalled to notice how many people were wearing jeans. Growing up, I was taught that a golf was a classy game. Don't get me wrong, I've never been a member at a club, and I've worked at many golf courses. Am I wrong to say that its somewhat disrespectful and trashy to wear denim? A golf course isn't a gun club (not that there is anything wrong with a gun club....but you don't see people in nice clothes there, usually).....and walking a couple of miles in jeans can't be comfortable either.

I'm sure there will be a few of you who will call me an idiot for posting this. But, I felt it needed to be addressed. I think that khakis, slacks, shorts, or rain pants are fine- its that seeing people wear jeans just rubs me the wrong way. I understand the reality of playing in terrible weather - the winter here in Seattle is terrible - but jeans make a heck of a lot less sense to wear than rain pants when the weather is nasty.

Now on to the comments....

Clubs
Titleist 983E 9.5 degrees (stiff Fujikura 757)
Titleist 904F 13.0 degrees (stiff Graffaloy Blue)
Callaway Big Bertha 5 wood (steel)
Mizuno MP-37 3-9 (DG S300)Cleveland Form Forged 48 degree Cleveland RTG 56 degreeCleveland RTG 60 degreeScotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 35"Titleist ProV1Ping...

I personally don't wear jeans (I don't even own a pair), but my Dad does and I don't see anything wrong with it - especially at a municipal or public course. I have seen people in slacks and sweater vests act far worse on a golf course than I have ever seen someone wearing a pair of levis. Now granted, if you are entering a tournament or playing at a private course, house rules apply, and they should be followed, but I don't see the harm in wearing jeans during a casual round.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Personally I dont see a problem with denim on a course as long as they are in good condition, no rips, tears, cutoffs, etc. Yes house rules must apply though, really it just depends on the course.

I also don't see a problem with wearing nice clothes at a gun club. As a lunch break or right after work is the only time I can go sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll wear slacks and a collared (polo) shirt whenever I play. In summer, I'll wear shorts if that is an option.

With one exception: there's a par-3 course around here (anyone who went to UCLA recently might know which course) where I might wear a shirt without a collar, but it'll always be a soccer-style shirt if I do. (I have a shirt that is great for when it is very hot in summer, and I'll wear it golfing only at this one location).

I dress nicely on a regular basis, and I love dressing up. But as far as how the rest are dressed, I generally don't care. If your clothing isn't set to distract me - and if I'm concentrating on golf, it shouldn't anyway - I don't really care.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I own jeans, but in six years of playing golf I have worn jeans on a 9 hole course once - I was called last minute to play a quick round after work (casual Friday). When I lived in CA, I remember playing Poppy Ridge in Livermore, and there was a group behind us with a guy wearing jeans, golf shirt, and cowboy boots. His headgear was a cowboy hat. After the round I asked the starter what damage boots might do to the greens - he just smiled. Poppy Ridge (from what I recall) said No Denim, but I see many course break their own rule routinely -- they'd rather have the green fees.

I personally am not a fan of denim on the course - just preference.

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

I think that the question depends much on the golfing venue and don't believe that one standard can be applied to all. In a private club environment the members (in a member owned club) or board dictate what is appropriate and they can require a wetsuit and football helmet if they like. In that situation I would gravitate towards requiring slacks and collared shirt for men and whatever the equivalent of that is for women. That said, I am also of the opinion that golf should accommodate all who have a desire to play. In a municipal or public course situation I think the rules need to be relaxed somewhat to allow those who might not otherwise be able to meet a strict dress code to participate. There should be limits of course (shoes and shirt)

ITB
Ping Si3 10* Grafalloy Blue
Mizuno F-60 13.5* Exsar FS3
Mizuno CLK FLI-HI 17* Exsar HS2
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

"appropriate" is a term relative to where you are playing. my club's dress policy says no cutoffs. otherwise, jeans are acceptable. not my first choice, or second choice, but i don't care what other people want to wear.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

It really depends. I would never wear jeans to play at a nice club. I would also never wear jeans to play in a tournament. I do occasionally wear jeans when I play at my local muni in the winter time. I don't really want to get mud and gunk all over a nice pair of khakis.
What I would NEVER do is go out and play in a t-shirt. I may do the denim on occasion but I always wear a golf shirt. To me wearing a t-shirt is worse taste than jeans.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

yea, it really depends on the club and its members, i suppose. But usually, i would be in my collared tees.

Previously, where I golf, only collars polo tees are allowed on the course. But since Tiger Woods made popular the mock neck tees, they are now allowed on the course as well.

I think Golf in general has to be careful not to be seen as 'Snobbish' or 'Eliteist'. This is one of the reasons why I didn't take it up before moving here.

In the UK, golf clubs are stuck in the dark ages, run by crusty old duffers who only have one aim in life.....to be a comittee member! Oh, the power!

I have never worn jeans on the course, but I suppose that is partly down to the weather here.

Shorts/light trousers and a range of 'Polo Sport Golf' polo shirts are my choice.

I do sometimes wear jeans if popping down to the range for an hour in the winter tho'

I'm glad to see not everybody is on the dress-up for golf kick. I've been spending most of my disposable income on equipment and greens fees rather than fancy clothes. That said, I try to maintain at least a certain standard of dress when I play. I wear khaki or olive-drab denim shorts (durable and cheap) and some sort of Polo type shirt. I did wear jeans during the winter months because I wasn't going to get my khaki pants all muddy.

I'm a big guy, over 300lbs., and if I were to buy the nice dressy golf clothes some guys wear I wouldn't be able to afford to actually golf.

I won't wear jeans out there as I just think it is not right. I have no problem with a club setting a policy against jeans but at the same time I don't have a problem with someone wearing jeans out there if they are allowed.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I headed out last weekend to play at my local muni, I was appalled to notice how many people were wearing jeans. Growing up, I was taught that a golf was a classy game. Don't get me wrong, I've never been a member at a club, and I've worked at many golf courses. Am I wrong to say that its somewhat disrespectful and trashy to wear denim? A golf course isn't a gun club (not that there is anything wrong with a gun club....but you don't see people in nice clothes there, usually).....and walking a couple of miles in jeans can't be comfortable either.

Nice to see another Seattle area member!

I'm not a fan of jeans on the course either. I'll do it when I go work on my short game at the 9 hole course at Willows because that's kind of a "anything goes" place, but if I'm playing 18 anywhere, I'm in slacks or khakis (or shorts). I'm pretty sure there are at least 4 folks in the greater Seattle area who are members here. We should play a round.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I dont think that jeans are acceptable on a golf course, however I know there are courses out there that allow it. I think proper attire consists of khakis, slacks, or dress shorts, collared shirt, mockneck shirt, etc....IMO
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Nice to see another Seattle area member!

Nice! Its good to see another Seattle-ite on here. I'd be happy to play a round, but we can PM about that.

Thanks for all of the responses. I 100% agree that there is a time and a place for jeans - if you are playing on a cow pasture, or a crappy 9-holer, then wear whatever you want. I also agree that we, as golfers, need to be careful not to come off as elitist. BUT, there is a certain code of conduct that applies, and I believe that includes attire. I'm not saying everyone needs to throw on some slacks and a nice shirt, but a polo and khakis (which I'm sure everyone has, as they are at the same price point as jeans) isn't asking that much. I don't believe having a dress code is elitist. I've volunteered at the First Tee, and they require the kids to wear appropriate golf attire for tournaments, and nobody cries foul for being elitist. Its about respect for the game - you follow the rules, you police yourself, and you dress appropriately. Thanks again for all of the responses. I think there is a great diversity of thought on this forum, and everyone brought up thinks that I hadn't considered. -Ian

Clubs
Mizuno MP-37 3-9 (DG S300)Cleveland Form Forged 48 degree Cleveland RTG 56 degreeCleveland RTG 60 degreeScotty Cameron Newport Tei3, 35"Titleist ProV1Ping...

Nice! Its good to see another Seattle-ite on here. I'd be happy to play a round, but we can PM about that.

My home course is a public muni, but it's not a "cow pasture". It's a 36 hole facility with a first class practice and instruction area. They do allow jeans and t-shirts, but not cutoffs. Since it is under the direction of a tax supported district, they have to accomodate most of the forms of attire that can be reasonably anticipated. That includes things like logo t-shirts. I always wear a collared short of some sort, but I wear jeans most of the time in the winter, nice shorts in the summer. I wear nicer slacks when I'm going to a course that I'm unfamiliar with, or to a public or private club where I know they have a dress code.

I don't care for the attitude that some take on dress... if a course has a dress code, I have no problem with that... it's their course to run as they like and I'll happily follow their rules. But to look down on a player or a course just because of the lack of what is considered proper dress is simple snobbery. The game is expensive enough these days without forcing people to buy special clothing just to wear on the course. The clothes don't make them better players. I'd a heck of a lot rather that the players learn the game's etiquette than worry about what they're wearing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My 2 cents say no jeans on the course.Slacks or shorts {bermuda lenth} and a collard shirt.I personally do not think mock necks should be allowed it is not a collar but thats the way I was taught the game.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I wasn't saying that your course is a cow pasture just because people wear jeans. I was saying I think that on courses other than cow pastures, people shouldn't wear jeans.
If a person can't afford khakis, then I have no problem with that person wearing jeans. But if you've got a grand worth of clubs in your bag and your wearing jeans, then I don't see an excuse (and this is what I see a LOT).
Additionally, since when are khakis 'special clothes'? I'm pretty darn sure that almost everyone on this forum owns a pair of khakis. And if you don't - you can get some nice Dockers for $40, which will last a lot longer than that box of Pro V1s.
One last thing - I understand what its like to play in the rain and the mud. But logically, throwing on a pair of rain pants makes a heck of a lot more sense than ruining some jeans.

To summarize my position - If you can afford to wear something besides jeans, then I don't see why you are rolling around the course in Levi's.
Heck, Khakis, shorts, or rain pants are FAR more comfortable to walk around a golf course in than jeans....making me wonder why people who can afford such things still wear jeans.

This is a very interesting discussion. I think people have some strong feelings about this, and I'm glad to see that nobody has gotten truly mad.

Clubs

Note: This thread is 6087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!